Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-16 7:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2019-May-28 8:24 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Any general begging for an Ambuscade Shaman?

There's a few ways to go with that. One is hastythings.dec, in which case, Dragonlord Kolaghan is your man dragon Dragonlord.

The other is a deck that can create flash blockers, like Ghave.

But let's put them both together, and say Sek'Kuar is the home for this card, as he can both flash in blockers and abuse the +2/+2 offensively.

Next case - does The Wanderer actually have a home?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-28 11:43 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Jeyal wrote:
Any general begging for an Ambuscade Shaman?

There's a few ways to go with that. One is hastythings.dec, in which case, Dragonlord Kolaghan is your man dragon Dragonlord.

Garna, the Bloodflame is also interesting for this, providing haste *and* having flash.

Quote:
Next case - does The Wanderer actually have a home?

Honestly, I think this walker is really playable in a generic way. My group (at least) often has big creatures, and removal with partial fog, or two uses of removal is really strong. The non-combat damage prevention is cute, and could be used with fight cards like Ulvenwald Tracker.

I think more than anything, the Wanderer dovetails nicely with Teyo, the Shieldmage (creatures need to be exactly power 3 or have hexproof/shroud) in a walker-centric deck living in Azorius, Esper or Bant (so you can play Oath of Teferi, Dovin, Hand of Control, others).

I think my inkling would be Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage. Raff makes most of the passive aspects of these walkers more powerful by framing them as responses, like Narset, Parter of Veils.

My next query is a little bit cheaty with the Icatian Store cycle, but feel free to mention any combination of colours that would want this sort of land. Not Atraxa, that's too easy.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-28 4:49 pm 

Quote:
My next query is a little bit cheaty with the Icatian Store cycle, but feel free to mention any combination of colours that would want this sort of land. Not Atraxa, that's too easy.

Icatian Store seems good for Hokori, Dust Drinker since you can stock up counters on it and generate a lot of mana with your one untapped land.

How about Primeval Titan? What general should use this?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 1:23 am 

sicklyjewel wrote:
How about Primeval Titan? What general should use this?

Assuming Prime Time wasn't banned... every G or G/x general ever?

I mean Omnath, Locus of Rage is probably the most flavorful place for it? maybe? Rosheen Meanderer is a Giant, so you could do a tribal deck? Kinda yeah...

I would throw it in a Sultai (B/U/G) deck for maximum power if I were running it such as Leovold, Emissary of Trest.

Who might want Reversal of Fortune?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 3:06 am 

Reversal of Fortune is amazing, and my favorite deck to run it in is Kynaios and Tiro, where the goal of the deck is basically use him to hug everyone else out, and then steal everything.

This one is technically two cards, but if we're being honest you should never run without the other: Hanweir Garrison and Hanweir Battlements

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 4:26 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
This one is technically two cards, but if we're being honest you should never run without the other: Hanweir Garrison and Hanweir Battlements
I disagree about running one without the other. The land is generically good for decks that have creatures and are in Red. Small opportunity cost, and a chance for haste makes it intensely playable on its own.

The creature is also a favourite of mine; red creature quality at low CMC is often terrible, and Hanweir Garrison provides good value for cost in decks that aren't going to possess good options. In monored or Boros, Garrison can see reasonable play (though, I think any other colour combination might have better things to run).

I currently play both in Adriana, Captain of the Guard. The tokens are most welcome (though, freshly generated tokens do not get Adriana's Melee bonus) allowing traditionally resourced-starved Boros decks to get away with as few card-plays as possible while generating pressure on opponents. Hanweir Garrison (in particular) dovetails nicely into Adriana; turn 3 Garrison, Turn 4 attack to make tokens, Turn 5 Adriana attack again with bonuses (and more tokens). If the Garrison gets a Melee buff, it can be hard for any given player to shut down the improved body in a combat step.

My next query is (once again) cheaty. Who wants Throne of Empires, Scepter of Empires, Crown of Empires?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 8:56 am 

Sinis wrote:
My next query is (once again) cheaty. Who wants Throne of Empires, Scepter of Empires, Crown of Empires?

Definitely Kurkesh.

How about Goblin Bomb? Bonus points if it's not Zndrsplt & Okaun

Random sidenote: Why do Homunculi hate vowels? Discuss.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 11:32 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
How about Goblin Bomb? Bonus points if it's not Zndrsplt & Okaun

I mean, it's probably Zndrsplt & Okaun.

But maybe there's a 5-color proliferate deck that sneaks this one in for 20 while you're trying to deal with all of the Planeswalkers it's ticking upwards? Ramos, Dragon Engine is the first 5-color commander that comes to mind with having any sort real proliferate synergy. (Temur might be an option, too, but the only "Proliferate-Friendly" option there is Animar, and Animar has more broken (and less interesting) things to do than try and dome someone with Goblin Bomb. Riku of Two Reflections doubling your Evolution Sages and Steady Progresses might be a neat option, though.)

Can we slot Force of Savagery somewhere?

Current Deckbuilding Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 Intro to Commander Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 12:46 pm 

Jeyal wrote:

Well it's an elemental so it could hypothetically give a death trigger to Omnath, Locus of Rage, but that is hardly efficient.

Commanders with anthem effects or that let creatures enter with +1/+1 counters can play the card normally and use it as a big, tramply beater, although with low toughness it'll probably die quick.

I think the most effective use of it is in Varolz, the Scar-Striped or Kresh the Bloodbraided as a way to pay 3 mana for 8 +1/+1 counters.

Are there any commanders that can do anything remotely noteworthy with Tephraderm?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 2:45 pm 

rpgtiger wrote:
Jeyal wrote:

Well it's an elemental so it could hypothetically give a death trigger to Omnath, Locus of Rage, but that is hardly efficient.

Commanders with anthem effects or that let creatures enter with +1/+1 counters can play the card normally and use it as a big, tramply beater, although with low toughness it'll probably die quick.

I think the most effective use of it is in Varolz, the Scar-Striped or Kresh the Bloodbraided as a way to pay 3 mana for 8 +1/+1 counters.

Are there any commanders that can do anything remotely noteworthy with Tephraderm?

First off, 10 points to you for not saying The Mimeoplasm in your response.

As for the card you suggested, there are a few things to note. He likes lifelink, deathtouch, and indestructability. He probably likes fight mechanics (and oddly enough would prefer to fight big butt creatures), and is a good rattlesnake against cards like Blasphemous Act or Chain Reaction, as well as a nice way to take out really big attackers. His ability also really scales with Furnace of Rath effects, and Repercussion with him can be lethal.

In other words, he's the exact kind of card I wish I knew about before, because all of that is awesome! And specifically he would fit right at home in my very own Bruse Tarl/Ikra Shidiqi deck, which can give him all of the mentioned abilities, has a lot of fighting and combat manipulation, and could use some extra minor wrath protection.

Since I've named two of my three pet removal spells, I might as well round out the trio by wondering who would love to play with Bladebrand.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-02 12:44 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
who would love to play with Bladebrand.

I guess there's a couple ways to go with this - generals with first strike that don't also have deathtouch (so not Glissa, the Traitor) benefit because they can murder without being murdered back. Generals that crap tokens benefit because their fodder creatures can take out significant ones. Let's combine that and say Edgar Markov is the home for this.

How about Widespread Brutality?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-02 4:37 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

Earlier, when someone mentioned Dreadhorde Invasion, I said there was probably not a great Grixis Amass deck. I didn't really consider something other than Grixis, perhaps either WUBR or UBRG.

I think this is going to fit in a dedicated Amass deck helmed by Reyhan, Last of the Abzan/Kraum, Ludevic's Opus. There are a lot of terrible Amass cards, but it would be nice to get a refund on them with Reyhan, and there are plenty of cards in Green that like or add +1/+1 counters.

The rough outline for this deck would be relatively instant/sorcery heavy (to be less punished by Widespread Brutality (and rewarded by Invade the City), with plenty of ways to recur the Amass cards. Largely, the Amass creatures are irrelevant (Gleaming Overseer, Eternal Skylord and Dreadhorde Twins are, arguably, the only ones even remotely worth running). Maybe we'd go as far as to run Shreds of Sanity, Mystic Retrieval and The Mirari Conjecture.

I'm not unconvinced there's a WUBR deck that maindecks Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun, but, I wonder what else white would bring to this table.

Part of me wants to build the UBRG version.

Speaking of eternals... where do we play Vizier of the Anointed? (bonus points for not Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-02 5:06 am 

Sinis wrote:
Speaking of eternals... where do we play Vizier of the Anointed? (bonus points for not Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun).

I would have said The Scarab God, but that's not an eternalize ability, even though it definitely is. I'm gonna say Varina, Lich Queen, built as a zombie token deck, and including not only lots of embalm/eternalize creatures, but the on-color amass support creatures.

Moving on - who wants Combat Celebrant?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-02 5:22 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
[Moving on - who wants Combat Celebrant?

Iroas, God of Victory was my first thought. I do think something with either multiple attack steps or some other way to untap it would be needed for maximum shenanagans. This could be an interesting deck, but likely will be a one trick pony.

Who might want Forbidden Crypt?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-03 10:00 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Who might want Forbidden Crypt?

Hrmmm... seems like a card that wants you to mill most of your deck before you cast it and then abuse your yard like a giant hand... I'm gonna say someone like Kess, could make use of it, or perhaps The Mimeoplasm, but frankly I'd never use it in either of those decks because it's way too dangerous to run. Making it so I lose the game to Bojuka Bog or Relic of Progenitus is not my bag, baby.

Moving right along, let's talk Dross Scorpion.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next