Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 7:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-03 10:10 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Moving right along, let's talk Dross Scorpion.

The obvious choices are Breya and Sai, Master Thopterist, so I’m choosing Traxos.

What about Weather the Storm?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-03 11:00 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
What about Weather the Storm?

So, a deck that wants payoffs from casting multiple spells and payoffs from lifegain? Maybe some sort of spellslingery black/green/X deck that is trying to storm out with Bolas's Citadel? I guess it would be useful for when you haven't drawn your Aetherflux Reservoir yet?

Go nuts, Xira Arien storm combo. The irony of using Weather the Storm to draw extra gas for a storm kill seems like it'd be pretty fun, once.

Does Hand of Justice have a place somewhere?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-03 1:17 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
Does Hand of Justice have a place somewhere?

Man, that one takes me back...

Hand wants you to have lots of white dudes - the obvious home would be a soldier deck of some variety, allowing you to fill the board with white dudes that you can use him with. Captain of the Watch gives them vigilance, as does Mobilization, so you can swing and then remove obnoxious blockers. Darien, King of Kjeldor would do fine with this card, or you could dip into Boros with Adriana or one of the angelic options, which would also give you Assemble the Legion and some meaner stuff like Boros Battleshaper and one of my pet cards Shared Animosity. Damnit, now I kinda want to build this.

Anyways, while I stew on that, how about another Fallen Empires "gem", Ebon Praetor? Bonus points if you can explain what the HELL is going on in that art?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-04 12:48 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Anyways, while I stew on that, how about another Fallen Empires "gem", Ebon Praetor? Bonus points if you can explain what the HELL is going on in that art?

The card: Obviously junk, not even a proper wincon. The obvious (and perhaps only) answer is the Praetor's homie/crony Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder. You could play with all the Thrull goodies, like Soul Exchange, Thrull Champion, and Tourach's Gate.

Seal it all off with Breeding Pit and Sarpadian Empires, Vol. VII.

The art: Randy Asplund-Faith has among the least number of art pieces for Magic (Sorrow's Path and Urza's Miter are also the same artist).

My take is that it's a surrealist take on Purgatory/Hell. I would think he's going for a Hieronymus Bosch vibe (google that one, I promise you won't be disappointed), but didn't have enough real estate to execute it properly.

Have spoken of the City of Shadows yet?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-04 12:53 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/fantpg/darkJudge.html I did some research, still odd but interesting none the less. My first thought was any of the Black "sac for fun and profit generals" which is one of my favorite ways to play... but then I thought if you could move the counters and proliferate you would machine gun other creatures so much faster... but moving counters isn't easy and so that would be a crappy deck (that likely needed Un-cards for Giant Fan... then I re-read that card... I still think that Liliana, Heretical Healer might be the more flavorful option, but Karador, Ghost Chieftain opens more creatures up for you.

--------------------

And someone beat me to it... I'll leave my response just because.

I ran City of Shadows in my Karn, Silver Golem and my Thada Adel, Acquisitor Little Mermaid deck. Thada used Vedalken Shackles + City to get rid of the worst of the worst.

Farrel's Mantle could be interesting, who might want this from Fallen Empires?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-04 11:18 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:

Farrel's Mantle could be interesting, who might want this from Fallen Empires?

Some of the rulings here seem kind of interesting.

Quote:
"This ability resolves during the declare blockers step. If the damage dealt this way is enough to destroy an attacking or blocking creature, that other creature won’t be around to deal its combat damage."

This means you can use the damage to save a blocked creature/muck up the combat math for "safe blocking."

Quote:
"If the same creature is enchanted with more than one Farrel’s Mantle, they’ll each trigger if that creature attacks and isn’t blocked. The creature’s controller may have it deal damage multiple times. As long as the enchanted creature’s controller chooses to use Farrel’s Mantle’s ability at least once to deal damage, the enchanted creature will deal no combat damage."

The second one makes me think that a deck with a critical mass of these "attacks and isn't blocked" triggered abilities we could get double use out of the damage ability. Bone Dancer, Floral Spuzzem, Kukemssa Pirates, Orcish Squatters, even Farrel's Zealot. Find a way to give a bit of evasion, and your getting double use out of these "assigns no combat damage this turn" effect.

I'll put Alesha, Who Smiles At Death in charge of this one, to get extra chances at swinging with all of these (pretty bad) creatures. As an added benefit, there's this ruling, too:

Quote:
"It will trigger even if that creature was put onto the battlefield attacking rather than having been declared as an attacker in the declare attackers step."

I'm not convinced it's good, but the idea of it is kind of funny.

Continuing to scrape the Fallen Empires barrel: Goblin Kites?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-04 6:03 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
Continuing to scrape the Fallen Empires barrel: Goblin Kites?

I'd say Valduk, since the tokens are targetable and won't survive anyway. Also, being mono-red means you can probably activate it a bunch of times if necessary, and you don't have access to a lot of better options like Levitation or Intimidation.

Next, how about a new card: Bazaar Trademage?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-05 10:11 am 

NMS wrote:
Next, how about a new card: Bazaar Trademage?

Well, Bazaar of Baghdad is only really used in Dredge decks since Dredge gets so much value out of it. Bazaar Trademage is going to serve the same function, but the single-use nature of the triggered ability makes it seem less viable. So we'd need to find a place where we could either recur it or flicker it, and also be a graveyard deck.

Which makes me think Tasigur, the Golden Fang. Tasigur would enjoy both the card draw and graveyard stacking, plus Tasigur can recur the card if you need to. (EDIT: after thinking about it more, Muldrotha probably uses the card even better.)

On an unrelated note, Farrel's Mantle plus Reconnaissance? Declare the attacker, then before the declare attackers step ends you remove it from combat? Anyway...

How about another new card, Marit Lages Slumber.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-06 10:10 am 

Segrus wrote:
How about another new card, Marit Lages Slumber.

Could feasibly go in any deck that includes blue and is already using snow lands (probably in conjunction with Extraplanar Lens).

But there is exactly ONE legendary creature that is both blue and cares about snow permanents in general, and that's Heidar.

Let's talk Deep Spawn!

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-06 10:37 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Let's talk Deep Spawn!

Big silly beater that puts cards in your yard? Any deck that wants to play out if it's own yard could run it...things like Muldrotha, Sedris, Tasigur. The six power probably looks most attractive to The Mimeoplasm, though- -Deep Spawn could be either half of the two cards exiled.

How about Deep Spawn's awkward cousin: Marjhan?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-06 11:49 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Let's talk Deep Spawn!

Big silly beater that puts cards in your yard? Any deck that wants to play out if it's own yard could run it...things like Muldrotha, Sedris, Tasigur. The six power probably looks most attractive to The Mimeoplasm, though- -Deep Spawn could be either half of the two cards exiled.

How about Deep Spawn's awkward cousin: Marjhan?

Obviously a perfect fit for Slinn Voda, the Rising Deep undersea tribal!

How about Sorrow’s Path?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-06 12:25 pm 

Either of the two Dino tribal commanders would fit here. Gishath is probably the better option as (s?)he cares a lot more about combat shenanigans and has a much bigger emphasis on being a dino deck. Darien also gets an honorable mention.

Next card: Fumble

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-06 2:34 pm 

Holy wow what a card! I don't know what deck this goes in, but this would WRECK my Boros-Dimir Akiri and Silas Renn deck.

Actually maybe it goes in that deck to up the artifact count even more.... :thinking emoji:

Yeah I'm gonna go with that. Put it in any blue deck that cares about Equipment and/or artifacts.

My choice for next card is: Ashes to Ashes

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-07 5:57 am 

Viperion wrote:
My choice for next card is: Ashes to Ashes

Ashes to Ashes is just a two-for-one removal spell. It even exiles. It's great. But at its core, it's just a removal spell. I've got it in an 'pauper' version of Alesha, Who Smiles at Death alongside its sidegrade cousin, Reckless Spite.

It's probably best in Horobi, Death's Wail- -where it's still a 2-for-1, but if your general is out it shaves 5 life off the price.

Alternate answer: Any W/B/x shell that prevents damage from spells. The "Mardu Earthquake Deck" springs to mind.

Is Raka Sanctuary playable somewhere?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-07 6:40 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Is Raka Sanctuary playable somewhere?

It seems like it could be playable in a Ruhan deck, to clear away small blockers. The deck would probably include Repercussion as well as a way to punish people for blocking Ruhan.

Who gets the most mileage out of Dusk // Dawn?

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next