Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 6:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-27 3:54 am 

Sinis wrote:
Next up: Moonveil Dragon.

I might get tarred and feathered by some snob or suggesting a Boros commander, by Adriana, Captain of the Guard. In fairness though, I think we've almost reached the point with R and W CA, that Boros is perfectly fine. That said, some more wheel effect reprints would be nice.

Another pet... Possibly my favorite Red card in all of magic... Go wild.
Repercussion

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-27 6:21 am 

I think we're moving a bit away from weak/niche cards, especially with Repercussion. That said...

There are four generals that I think fit the bill for it. The first one is Ryusei, the Falling Star who synergizes well with it and almost nothing else. After that is Oros, the Avenger, who's much like Ryusei but an actually ok general. Coming up in a close second is Neheb, the Eternal, who by the way is the correct answer for Moonveil Dragon and like 80% of good red cards that have ever been printed. Other honorable mentions include both forms of Niv-Mizzet, Nin, and newer Rakdos.

But, the actual general I'll have to submit is Gisela, Blade of Goldnight. My Cunning Sparkmage now taps for 2 damage to a creature and 4 to a player, while I almost don't even feel the downside of Repercussion.

Avaricious Dragon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-28 11:43 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I think we're moving a bit away from weak/niche cards, especially with Repercussion. That said...

There are four generals that I think fit the bill for it. The first one is Ryusei, the Falling Star who synergizes well with it and almost nothing else. After that is Oros, the Avenger, who's much like Ryusei but an actually ok general. Coming up in a close second is Neheb, the Eternal, who by the way is the correct answer for Moonveil Dragon and like 80% of good red cards that have ever been printed. Other honorable mentions include both forms of Niv-Mizzet, Nin, and newer Rakdos.

But, the actual general I'll have to submit is Gisela, Blade of Goldnight. My Cunning Sparkmage now taps for 2 damage to a creature and 4 to a player, while I almost don't even feel the downside of Repercussion.
I'm offended you didn't include Jaya Ballard, Task Mage here. Inferno with legs pretty much asks to combo with Repercussion.

Well, I'm offended because I ran it in Jaya, and felt like it was pretty great.

Quote:

I want to say this lives in a deck that does its best to live in empty-hand land. Neheb, the Worthy and Hazoret the Fervent both immediately spring to mind.

Next up, Topsy Turvy.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-28 12:10 pm 

Sinis wrote:
]I'm offended you didn't include Jaya Ballard, Task Mage here. Inferno with legs pretty much asks to combo with Repercussion.

Well, I'm offended because I ran it in Jaya, and felt like it was pretty great.

For some reason whenever I think about Jaya I forget that her third ability exists.
Quote:

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, no question. That is a hard lock on anything that isn't instant-speed.

Next card: Essence of the Wild

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-31 11:01 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:

This one's really tough. This is an all-in strategy in Green that's extremely tough to get rid of without a board wipe. After you play this you'd better have no creatures you want to play that are better than a 6/6 vanilla -- you won't even get their ETB effects. But you do want to be acquiring creatures, otherwise why would you have Essence of the Wild?

This means we're probably going for a token strategy that uses non-creatures to generate tokens: instants, sorceries, enchantments, artifacts, lands.

The simultaneously ideal and worst commander for this is Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury. I'm not choosing her, but I'm going to elaborate on the bad element in case I'm mistaken about it, in which case she's simply ideal.
She's ideal because Essence of the Wild doesn't affect her since she isn't a creature: you still get your commander and her unique effects. Essence of the Wild also transforms her +2 effect into super aggressive mode: it now reads "+2: Create a vanilla 6/6 token (which also has EotW's ability)." It won't give you mana dorks but at this point you don't need them.
She's the worst commander for this because Green's token generation tends to be done mostly by creatures. After EotW is down, you're stuck with only the token generators you had before it landed. You have limited options elsewhere and it's not enough to drive a strategy.
However, if I'm wrong about that: pack a deck with awesome green sources of token generation that aren't creatures, and awesome green spells, and eventually hit 6/6 generation mode.

... Let's move past her though.

Instead, we're going to go Naya or Golgari. Both give us lots of token generation sources that aren't creatures, and lots of things to do with our mana other than cast creatures. Naya gives us Selesnya and Boros and White and Red non-creature sources of token generation like Assemble the Legion and Secure the Wastes (which now generate 6/6's). Golgari gives us tons of zombie tokens via From Under the Floorboards and Army of the Damned et al.

Golgari: Pharika, God of Affliction is a decent token generator that has a chance of not being a creature: if we get hit by a board wipe, we can drop EotW, summon Pharika next turn (who doesn't enter as a creature and get transformed) and start using her to generate 6/6's. She's the only Golgari commander who doesn't get 100% shut down by EotW being out. We could pick a Golgari commander for colors alone and never plan to summon it again after EotW is out, but I prefer to have a commander that could still remain relevant.

Naya: Use Samut, Voice of Dissent or Marath, Will of the Wild. Both can be cast earlier than EotW and remain relevant afterwards: Samut will give all those 6/6 tokens you're generating haste, Marath can ongoingly create 1/1 Elementals (actually 6/6 Avatars) if you can keep giving him +1/+1 counters (such as via Cathars' Crusade).

Overall I'm going to go with Samut: tons of token generation color access and generating tons of cheap hasty 6/6's is what we'd want to do with EotW the most. Marath only loses out because we'd already be packing tons of other equally awesome token generation sources, and Samut doesn't have a clock on how long she can remain relevant.

Next card: Soul Separator

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-05 6:12 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Next card: Soul Separator

I have a copy of this but haven't ever played it. Part of the problem is that it doesn't really demand to be built around. There's no especially great combo with it, and a creature in two pieces is almost always as good as a creature still whole, making this pretty much a mana-intensive expensive reanimate. Removing evasion from a giant beater feels really bad, and the second lease on life is barely worth the effort (like if you soul separated Ghalta, Primal Hunger, you'd have a 12/12 zombie and a 1/1 flying trample spirit). Sometimes, divorcing creatures from their text is nice (like, Lord of the Pit, I suppose), but, those mostly have drawbacks in exchange for mana cost which we're circumventing anyway.

That said, there are some cutesy synergies and creatures that don't much mind being cleft in two; for example, Sun Titan will make a 1/1 flying Sun Titan (which immediately redeploys the Soul Separator) and a 6/6 zombie, while Avacyn, Angel of Hope is only marginally more vulnerable as a 1/1 spirit with an 8/8 zombie than she is as an 8/8 angel.

More than anything, utilizing the token-ish aspect of this card is probably the best path to use, and I want to say Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun is the commander you want if you want to mess around with tokens.

Next card: Phyrexian Etchings.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-05 7:41 am 

This is a hard one. Phyrexian Etchings is good in a deck with 5 things, in decreasing order of importance:

1. Proliferation
2. A large amount of black mana
3. Life gain
4. A way to recur it
5. A lack of card draw.

There are a ton of candidates that fulfill one or two of these really well, but not all of them. Some that I had thought of were Atraxa, Ghave, Karlov, Hapatra, BW Daxos, Meren, Skullbriar, and all three Ob Nixilis's. But the winner for me will have to be Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet.

Kind of a cheat, but my card will be each individual member of the Eye of Ramos.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-05 2:07 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Kind of a cheat, but my card will be each individual member of the Eye of Ramos.

I'm assuming by this you mean each member of the Eye of Ramos cycle? I'll go Progenitus, because you could play the whole cycle and then cast him using nothing but those.

Here's a pet card of mine - Trade Routes.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-06 2:08 am 

I actually run Trade Routes in my Kynaios and Tiro deck, so I have to advertise that beautiful interaction here. It's honestly one of the best cards in the deck, since I've got a huge landfall theme and all of my nonbasics are either Temples or the Swiftwater Cliffs cycle, as well as a bunch of Seek the Horizon effects.

Meletis Charlatan

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-08 12:35 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I actually run Trade Routes in my Kynaios and Tiro deck, so I have to advertise that beautiful interaction here. It's honestly one of the best cards in the deck, since I've got a huge landfall theme and all of my nonbasics are either Temples or the Swiftwater Cliffs cycle, as well as a bunch of Seek the Horizon effects.

I use it in my landfall deck as well, but the general is Roon, and I can't really make the case that Roon is well supported by Trade Routes, just that a landfall deck is.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:

I guess the obvious answer would be some sort of spells matter/spell doubling focused deck, like Melek, Izzet Paragon or Mizzix of the Izmagnus. It has that group-huggy aspect that you can help your opponents copy spells, but I think its best use would me Mizzix, because he makes your spells so cheap you'll always have mana to double them with.

Next I'll name a card that I run as a theme inclusion in my Triad of Fate deck, Oracle en-Vec.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-09 12:50 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

Well, it fits thematically with Frankie Peanuts, but I'm going to say Gwafa Hazid.

Sinstriker's Will

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-09 9:52 pm 

NMS wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Well, it fits thematically with Frankie Peanuts, but I'm going to say Gwafa Hazid.

It'd be nice if you elaborated why you made this choice and highlight some interesting interactions you foresee using.

NMS wrote:

Any time I see an "Enchanted/equipped creature deals damage to target" the first thing I think of is tribal Vampire. There are so many "Sengir" (e.g. Baron Sengir, Vein Drinker, etc.) and deathtouch effects. I remember doing this with Dizzying Gaze on Sengir Vampire when Exodus first came out, just plinging anything that was about to die anyway. Most of the effects don't require combat damage, anyway. In EDH, you have so many options to "help" another player by damaging the attacker or blocker from a "third" player (and still get counters) even when you are not involved in the combat yourself.

So, I would have to choose Mathas, since his ability ties in quite will with this style of creature sniping. Maybe even putting a bounty counter onto a troublesome creature, then damaging it before combat on an opponent's turn to "encourage" the attack at another guy (hey, if you attack that player, you can get a card and life; see <target> already has damage too) for playing the political game.

Next card: Phyrexian Splicer

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-11 7:08 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
NMS wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

It'd be nice if you elaborated why you made this choice and highlight some interesting interactions you foresee using.

Right. Well, the threat of using Gwafa Hazid might encourage the opponent with the most dangerous board to declare that none of their creatures will attack. And if they declare a lot of creatures will attack, then you play one of many Propaganda/Crawlspace/Peacekeeper type cards to make them attack someone else or wipe their board. (This deck is probably more annoying than effective, but I don't really see what else to do with that card.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-12 10:57 am 

NMS wrote:
I don't really see what else to do with that card.

It also shuts off haste - since the creature isn't in play when the ability is activated, it can't be chosen as a future attacker.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-15 3:20 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
It also shuts off haste - since the creature isn't in play when the ability is activated, it can't be chosen as a future attacker.

True, but not many commanders make that more relevant, except Nahiri,.

Treamayne wrote:

This is worse at giving evasion than so many other cards, so I guess Fumiko the Lowblood, since it can take away evasion, helping with the plan of forcing your opponents to attack and punishing them if they attack you.

Next: Search for Survivors

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next