Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 7:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-May-22 8:37 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
Next Challenge: Bottled Cloister

Strengths: +1 card draw, and outside of your turn nobody can mess with your hand because you won't have one.
Weaknesses: Can't cast spells during opponents' turns (you don't have any) and you can lose your bottled hand to artifact removal.

Bottled Cloister has the most relevance in metas heavy on discard and wheel effects, and ones that are untargeted at that (because otherwise you can just play Witchbane Orb instead). Those are all things other people bring to the table though, which means Bottled Cloister is only contextually good based on other factors we can't control in our own deckbuilding.

Interesting. I started out with the same thoughts, but then went somewhere totally different with it: "What deck would be desperate for card draw and want to dump its hand fast so you wouldn't be risking much? Hazoret the Fervent but that's a terrible plan in Commander. What about Jazal? If your deck is mostly one-drops and hate bears, you could just start trying to kill people around turn 5-6, then drop Cloister to rebuild if you get wrathed."

spacemonaut wrote:

That's an easy one. I run it in my Zada, Hedron Grinder deck. It doesn't need Zada to target as much as I want, but turning a bunch of 1/1 tokens into flying 4/4s is decent. And red doesn't have great removal for large creatures, so it's sometimes better than nothing there. Similarly, something like Ulasht might want it.

Next: Crovax the Cursed

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-06 12:19 am 

NMS wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
Next Challenge: Bottled Cloister

Strengths: +1 card draw, and outside of your turn nobody can mess with your hand because you won't have one.
Weaknesses: Can't cast spells during opponents' turns (you don't have any) and you can lose your bottled hand to artifact removal.

Bottled Cloister has the most relevance in metas heavy on discard and wheel effects, and ones that are untargeted at that (because otherwise you can just play Witchbane Orb instead). Those are all things other people bring to the table though, which means Bottled Cloister is only contextually good based on other factors we can't control in our own deckbuilding.

Interesting. I started out with the same thoughts, but then went somewhere totally different with it: "What deck would be desperate for card draw and want to dump its hand fast so you wouldn't be risking much? Hazoret the Fervent but that's a terrible plan in Commander. What about Jazal? If your deck is mostly one-drops and hate bears, you could just start trying to kill people around turn 5-6, then drop Cloister to rebuild if you get wrathed."

spacemonaut wrote:

That's an easy one. I run it in my Zada, Hedron Grinder deck. It doesn't need Zada to target as much as I want, but turning a bunch of 1/1 tokens into flying 4/4s is decent. And red doesn't have great removal for large creatures, so it's sometimes better than nothing there. Similarly, something like Ulasht might want it.

Next: Crovax the Cursed

Wanted to say Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder but Marchesa, the Black Rose is my final answer. Sac a utility creature that has a counter on it to get it back at end of turn. Big flyer is always good to have.

Hope it hasn't been used yet (I haven't looked through all six pages)

Pelakka Wurm

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-11 7:36 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
Hope it hasn't been used yet (I haven't looked through all six pages)

Pelakka Wurm

As a big creature with trample, Pelakka Wurm would definitely be at home in a Stonebrow or Xenagos, God of Revels deck.
As a creature with ETB and dies effects, it would be very good in a deck like Roon or Meren.
However, my choice for best fun would be Trostani, Selesnya's Voice. When you play it the first time, you gain a whopping 14 life. Then, you can make a token version of it with Seance, Helm of the Host, or Blade of Selves and start populating the token to get things really crazy. The best part is that if someone wraths to end your shenanigans, you get to draw a card for each Pelakka Wurm you have.

How about a new card from Battlebond, Last One Standing?

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-12 6:17 am 

Last One Standing would go well in spellslinger Kess. Low cost wrath you can replay? Definite yes. If you're on a low creature count due to focusing on instants and sorceries, then any wrath effect would kill Kess anyway. This one just comes with a chance you won't. The risk, of course, is that big baddie ends up staying on the table, but it's just as likely that you've got another opponent who just lost all their defenses.

Mishra's Self-Replicator?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-12 6:57 am 

Segrus wrote:

I wanted to make a 'historic' deck when Dominaria was released. Like, lots of historic cards, this one included. The 5 mana cost is steep, but once you get rolling, it seems like this guy could get out of hand in a hurry.

I think Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage is your man. You can easily play Sagas and other historic cards at instant speed. I feel like Flash could really make this shine; flashing in Mishra's Self-Replicator would make it a lot easier to have it last to your untap, and they could get out of hand from there. You can go pretty wild with Karn's Temporal Sundering, and/or cheap artifacts like Mana Rocks, or low-CMC legendary creatures (Kytheon, Jace Vryn's Prodigy).

How about Stunning Reversal, folks?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-14 8:24 pm 

Sinis wrote:
How about Stunning Reversal, folks?

Seems like that's at its best in a WB life total manipulation shenanigans deck, with cards like Near-Death Experience and Axis of Mortality. There are several commanders in this space, including Elenda, Karlov, Vish Kal, and Vona, but I'll go with Ayli, since she seems the most interesting and best at clawing you back from the brink.

Next, another Battlebond card: Arcane Artisan

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-15 7:57 pm 

NMS wrote:
Next, another Battlebond card: Arcane Artisan

The obvious choice here is Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun. Temmet wants creature tokens and Arcane Artisan gives you creature tokens, even if the creature didn't have any way to become a token in the first place.

However, this pushes you towards a very specific strategy for Temmet, who usually wants a lot of synergy from having cards in the deck that create good tokens. Arcane Artisan leads you towards Blue/White "goodstuff creatures" that don't necessarily create tokens of themselves as well as "cards that create tokens of existing creatures". It's a very A+B strategy that I'm not certain how many Temmet players actually use.

As such, I'd say that it would need to be supported by a suite of other cards that make tokens of creatures that don't necessarily have the ability to do it themselves, such as Back from the Brink, God-Pharaoh's Gift, Hour of Eternity, Mimic Vat, Séance, Soul Foundry, and Soul Separator.

You know, I'd been planning on running a Temmet deck myself, but my brainstorming had mostly been of the "cards must be able to generate tokens themselves" train of thought. Having made the above post, I'm now considering running it as an A+B deck with goodstuff creatures and ways to make tokens of them... Hmm... Interesting...

Card for the next person: Living Lore (a card I pulled several of during the Dragons of Tarkir pre-release, including one as a promo, which I really wouldn't mind getting ideas of how to use properly).

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-18 3:45 am 

Masked Thespian wrote:
Card for the next person: Living Lore (a card I pulled several of during the Dragons of Tarkir pre-release, including one as a promo, which I really wouldn't mind getting ideas of how to use properly).

Living Lore wants to live in any deck that plays big instants and sorceries. Both the power/toughness and cast-for-free aspects demand spells in the 6+ range, preferably even bigger. Like, Army of the Damned, Time Stretch, that kind of thing.

My initial inkling was Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge, but, I think we could just as easily be playing a Jodah, Archmage Eternal deck. Jodah, especially, loves cards like Conflux, etc. Living Lore basically functions as another cheat in decks that want to cheat but get sandbagged by removal.

-----

My next choice is The First Eruption. I really like the Sagas from Dominaria, but, this one has me scratching my head as to whether it's playable, and if it is, where it lives.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-18 5:31 am 

Some thoughts about the card:

- It's a free 2 mana the turn after you cast it, which makes it useful in your opening hand if you're running a 5-6 mana general.
- You probably want a general with a toughness of 4 or greater.
- You want a general who is combat heavy, since the turn after its cast the board will likely be more or less cleared by the second ability.
- You either want a general with a lot of landfall shenanigans or one who doesn't particularly require too much mana. And on that note, probably want to lean toward mono-red or 2 colors.

Etali, Primal Storm and Rowan Kenrith seem like the top choices for me. Probably leaning towards Etali just because I like it more.

Next card: Mirror-Sigil Sergeant

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-18 5:51 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:

That seems pretty gross with Ertai, the Corrupted, not that he needs much help. Build an army while countering any wraths.

Continuing the Battlebond theme, how about Combo Attack?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-23 5:15 pm 

NMS wrote:
Continuing the Battlebond theme, how about Combo Attack?

I feel like this is a fairly generic piece of removal, but, it's not without any excitement.

My first instinct is Glissa, the Traitor. Basically, it becomes a 3 mana regrowth for an artifact with some removal glued on. This isn't spectacular, but, you could also be playing things like Soul Collector (there are a few creatures who do this) or something like Scythe of the Wretched. Stacking a bunch of effects where a creature gets something if it does damage/kills another creature might be fun. In that case, Combo Attack becomes another card that performs the same role as something like Thornbite Staff or Viridian Longbow.

Up next on the battlebond train: Zndrsplt's Judgment.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-24 10:36 am 

Sinis wrote:
Up next on the battlebond train: Zndrsplt's Judgment.

I'm going to bend the rules a bit, and instead of going with what general I think fits Zndrsplt's Judgment the *best* (it is fairly all-round fun) I'm just going to say where I plan to use it. Shapeshifter Tribal. I use Halfdane on MTGO, because I can; but Lazav should work just as well. Its an experiment I have been running to see if token and copy effects draw as much ire as stealing and/or borrowing. This would fit wonderfully in that deck as a nice political niche that's on theme. Make myself another shapeshifter, maybe boost the underdog with a token as well. The bounce is kind of immaterial, but could come in handy (even more politics, allowing a player another 187 move without a token to go with it).

Next up: Library of Lat-Nam

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-24 3:28 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Sinis wrote:

Obvious answer is obvious here: Every opponent is going to choose the "draw three" option because tutoring for a specific card is just better than drawing three randoms (unless... see alternate strategy below). So you need a general that will punish your opponent when you draw cards: Nekusar, the Mindrazer. Yes, I feel dirty.

Alternate Strategy
To make your opponent choose the tutor option, stack the top of your deck with Brainstorm, Scroll Rack, Long-Term Plans, or similar. This doesn't really suggest a specific general to me, so I'd go with something like Dralnu, Lich Lord, so you can do it over again.

My card: Worldslayer. Challenge: Be nice with it, if you can.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-24 8:59 pm 

Viperion wrote:
My card: Worldslayer. Challenge: Be nice with it, if you can.

The "nicest" way to use that is the one that most clearly wins you the game if it goes off so your opponents can scoop. I'd say that's Avacyn, Angel of Hope.

Next: Myr Matrix

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-26 1:42 am 

NMS wrote:

Ugh, this card. 5 Mana 1/1s? A bargain, to be sure. At least it's indestructible.

I think your best bet is to animate it (Ensoul Artifact?) and attack with an indestructible force. I want to say r/u, and make it artifact themed; let's say Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain.

In this deck, I would also want to play Storm the Vault, Thopter Spy Network. Once you flip Storm the Vault, you can get a Myr for every 5 you control!

Next up: Leave // Chance.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next