Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-20 12:29 am

Post subject: Mono-U Yasova and taking a different line
AgePosted: 2018-Feb-23 2:49 am 

Tinkering about with my boxes of cards, I realised that loads of good & fun blue cards were just gathering dust so I decided to make a mono Blue deck. After about a week of making piles and dithering about which General to use, I realised there wasn't a single I wanted to use.

Sure, I could have just decided on one but they pretty much all fell into unwanted categories: Done, Overly linear, Too good, Not good enough. I want to play something that will interact with a creature heavy table regularly and not be an automatic target.

My first version is with Yasova, some green-producing lands to cast her and otherwise only blue or colourless spells. It's generally a steal or bounce deck. I have no idea how it plays or wins, so that's an adventure yet to be had.

Does anyone have any suggestions (sticking to the "Blue spells only" rules) or any other examples of taking strange lines with their decks?

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mono-U Yasova and taking a different line
AgePosted: 2018-Feb-23 10:53 am 

The three obvious routes I can think of: lots of blink effects, lots of sac engines, and lots of Polymorph-type effects.

As for taking different lines, one thing I've done that I like is my Kynaios and Tiro deck that I like to call "Group Thug". Being a thief is far more satisfying when all of your neighbors are rich.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-28 8:56 pm 

Maybe a strange question: What blue creatures fill the bottom of a Mono-U curve?

My curve is practically only spells up to turn 4 before I start mixing creatures & spells. There's got to be some "always good" blue creatures in those early slots.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-28 9:20 pm 

zimagic wrote:
Maybe a strange question: What blue creatures fill the bottom of a Mono-U curve?

My curve is practically only spells up to turn 4 before I start mixing creatures & spells. There's got to be some "always good" blue creatures in those early slots.

There's a bunch. Take a look through here, it's blue creatures CMC3 and below, sorted by EDHREEC rank.

They seem to mostly enable card advantage, reduce costs, or do evasion shenanigans.

Offline Profile