Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-21 10:16 pm

Post subject: Curse of Bounty: How's this work out at your tables?
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-03 10:32 pm 

Curse of Bounty was the green curse from the Commander 2017 curse cycle:

Quote:
Enchantment — Aura Curse

Enchant player

Whenever enchanted player is attacked, untap all nonland permanents you control. Each opponent attacking that player untaps all nonland permanents they control.

When it came out, I heard a lot of discussion that it did too much and was a problem, but for all kinds of different reasons: it would benefit your opponents too much, it would benefit you too much, it would draw too powerful an X on an opponent, it would draw an X on you, it would work in reverse and discourage opponents from attacking the cursed player out of not wanting to benefit you too much. Some theorising even came up about playing it on yourself (untapping all your stuff for blocking or activation whenever anyone attacks you, but also granting pseudo-vigilance to the attackers) which sounds crazy enough it just might work.

I'd kind of like to use it though. The effect is nice, and at least one of my decks might benefit from it. I haven't seen it in action yet though, so I don't know how it actually works out and which of these fears were founded (if any). It's now been a nearly a year since C17 came out, so I hope people have had a chance to see it in action, and I'm really interested to learn from others' experiences before I go messing around with it.

How's this card actually work out for you in play? What effect have you seen it have? What do you see happen when you play it, when others play it, and when it's played on you -- and how do you respond? Do you think it adds fun to the game or subtracts from it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Curse of Bounty: How's this work out at your tables?
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-29 12:08 pm 

*Disclaimer: I haven't played the card*
Seems like you could do some cool stuff with it. You certainly want it in a deck that plays a lot of artifact ramp and likes to do stuff at instant speed. Being green I'm not really sure what deck wants it, perhaps something with Yeva and elves, or perhaps Selvala

Certainly doesn't seem overpowered though.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-29 3:40 pm 

Play it. Symmetrical effects aren't dangerous if you absolutely dominate at using them- if you build and play with that in mind, it's sheer advantage for you (think of Wrath of God and Windfall.) Similar card that has been on my radar is Curse of Opulence. Yeah, other players "get something" out of it, but if you're better equipped to manage that effect as a resource, it will often tilt enough into your favor for it to be worth playing anyways. It's powerful, so if you have the tools to make it go nuts, do it.

As far as being "too good" on the other end of the spectrum, it really isn't. Much like Tempt with Discovery, it becomes obvious how much better it is for you than your opponent, so it'll probably get taken off the table at some point. I doubt there are enough heehaw hands with it, to justify discussing it as anything oppressive.

In my experience- it's less awesome than something like Repercussion- but what is anyway? It's not the type of card that is good to just "play out", since it requires situational awareness, but if you're playing Tims or Artifacts that want it, at the time you'll want to play it- you should have a pretty good clue about whether someone else can benefit more from it than you; in which case, they're likely to be the player you want to stick it to.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-31 12:10 pm 

I'll chime in about Curse of Opulence.

If you plan on attacking much, this card is the nuts. It's free ramp, and can enable all sorts of degeneracy (like Storm the Vault/Vault of Catlacan). If they get attacked two or three times, it's like a ritual, and people (at least at my tables) have absolutely pummeled players for treasure.

I can't say much about Curse of Bounty. I haven't played it, nor have I seen anyone really try it out. I can absolutely see it having some kind of play in decks that are already interested in untapping things and would be happy to do it more, like Derevi, Empyrial Tactician or Samut, Voice of Dissent. I may try it in Selvala, Heart of the Wilds (though she already has plenty of untap tech).

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-24 6:09 am 

I actually like the idea of casting this on yourself in a UG or Bant control deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-24 9:27 am 

Sinis wrote:

Hmmm.... I may need to put that in my new Brudiclad deck.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-26 3:02 am 

I think this is like most metas, we have a few curse cards show up every game. One curse on someone influences the attacks... So many times I hear "I was going to sit back but that X is just too tempting." Makes for some awesome multiplayer politics. Curse of Bounty just speeds up the game a bit.

When you get more than one curse on someone (which is the way to play it, especially if you run Curse of Misfortunes or Curse of Thirst) they often get tunnel vision and just try to kill the owner of the curses.

Overall, I think it is a fun addition, especially since most metas don't run enough Tranquility.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-26 5:57 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Sinis wrote:

The price of this card is on an upward trajectory.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-26 9:31 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Sinis wrote:

Good thing I already have it then.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-28 6:04 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Shabbaman wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Good thing I already have it then.

Tbh, I think might be the most bonkers card out of that commander block, even considering Kess, Dissident Mage.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-30 5:57 am 

Shabbaman wrote:

It's been declining since the spike on the 22nd and level the past few days

Offline Profile