Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-22 10:05 pm

Post subject: Re: Out of touch Old Man Needs Help
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-16 9:19 am 

Viperion wrote:
I'll be 45 next month. You? :P

Whippersnapper. Twenty-somethings are much more fun than many players my own age. Just grateful they accept me into their meta.

56 years young if its important.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-16 9:35 am 

Tell me about it. Most of my friends have always been younger than me, but where I used to have friends 5-10 years younger they're now 10-20 years younger :P

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-16 10:05 am 

OldVig wrote:

Was it hard carrying around your EDH decks when they were printed on stone tablets? :P

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-16 10:11 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
OldVig wrote:

Was it hard carrying around your EDH decks when they were printed on stone tablets? :P
And lo, did OldVig come down from the mountain, saying, "Behold! The word of our Lord Sheldon who sayeth unto you; build casually and play competitively, unto your decks, and your children's decks, and to the end of days." And the crowds gazed upon the Words of the Lord and saw that they were Good.

(We may be getting off topic here :P )

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-16 6:32 pm 

Thanks for the congratulations. I feel a lot better now that I know I'm surrounded by the elderly. Hey Viperion, that would make a nice theme!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-18 3:22 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
Thanks for the congratulations. I feel a lot better now that I know I'm surrounded by the elderly. Hey Viperion, that would make a nice theme!

NursingHome.dec?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-19 11:14 am 

Paraphrase:
- High
- Medium
- Low
- Normal

Viperion wrote:
C ??
W Kitsune Mystic* (Rune-Tail) Enchantments
WU Isperia the Inscrutable fliers
WUB Oloro, Ageless Ascetic - Life gain/loss
WUBR Akiri, Line-Slinger and Silas Renn - artifacts and equipment aggro
WB Ghost Council of Orzhova Blinky blink with some tokens for Ghost Council fodder
WBR Edgar Markov Vampire Tribal
U Ixidor, Reality Sculptor Morph-o-matic
UB Ramses Overdark Auras (Fool's Demise, for example)
UBR Inalla, Archmage Ritualist - Grixis Wizards/Spells
UBRG Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder - Non-white Storm
UR Nin, the Pain Artist punishing you for drawing cards, and making you draw cards
URG Animar, Soul of Elements free creatures and big combos
B Lim-Dul the Necromancer Zombie tribal
BR
BRG Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper killing my own things for fun and profit
BRGW Ravos, Soultender and Tana, the Bloodsower - non-blue creature tokens
BG Savra, Queen of the Golgari - My Graveyard is My Life
BGW Doran, the Siege Tower I like BIG BUTTS and I cannot lie
R Jaya Ballard, Task Mage - It has my name on it Burn
RG Wort, the Raidmother Goblin tribal - and - Radha, Heir to Keld Elf and/or Warrior tribal with a big mana sub sub theme
RGW Mayael the Anima big stompy bois
RGWU
RW Anax and Cymede - Battalion and Heroic
RWU Zedruu the Greathearted ownership shenanigans
G Omnath, Locus of Mana BIG OMNATH KILLS YOU (Commander damage focused)
GW Tolsimir Wolfbloodtokens as talked about before. I may morph this to a Ravnica-only deck, maybe?
GWU Rafiq of the Many kills you now (Commander damage)
GWUB Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker and Reyhan, Last of the Abzan - non-red +1/+1 counters
GU Edric, Spymaster of Trest Rogues
GUB Damia, Sage of Stone - I dunno what this deck does // Gorgon/Snake tribal?
WUBRG ??

Viperion wrote:
Shabbaman wrote:
Old? What do you mean, old? I'm fairly sure you are younger than I am, so I take offense with that.
I'll be 45 next month.
43, or 24 in MtG years (started in 1994)

Thougts and recommendations: Granted, these are mostly generic recommendations, and a more comprehensive listing will need commensurate time spent looking at the current decklists.

C ?? Recommend Karn, Silver Golem. You can go golem tribal, artifact good stuff, animating artifacts (including vehicles or not) or a number of other mono-brown options.

WU Isperia the Inscrutable fliers - Cards to consider:

BRG Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper killing my own things for fun and profit - Cards to consider:

BGW Doran, the Siege Tower I like BIG BUTTS and I cannot lie - My version of Doran is Defender themed - Cards to consider:

RGW Mayael the Anima big stompy bois - Cards to consider:

GWU Rafiq of the Many kills you now (Commander damage) - Have you considered swapping this out for an "Enchantress" build? The C18 deck is a good start and you already mentioned Rafiq is so strong you rarely play it, and your mono-W enchantment build runs into snags when people don't like your non-standard general.

GU Edric, Spymaster of Trest Rogues - I have one of these - rogue tribal. Here's the currnet list:
Edric, Spymaster of Trest

Land - 37
Island x 7
Forest x 6
Alchemist's Refuge
Ash Barrens
Cavern of Souls
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Field of Ruin
Ghost Quarter
Hinterland Harbor
Homeward Path
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Myriad Landscape
Mystifying Maze
Novijen, Heart of Progress
Opal Palace
Path of Ancestry
Reliquary Tower
Remote Isle
Rogue's Passage
Simic Growth Chamber
Slippery Karst
Terrain Generator
Unclaimed Territory
Winding Canyons
Yavimaya Hollow

Rogues - 30
Faerie Impostor
Nephalia Smuggler
Invisible Stalker
Jhessian Infiltrator
Looter il-Kor
Metropolis Sprite
Obsessive Skinner
Silhana Ledgewalker
Surveilling Sprite
Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive
Vedalken Heretic
Cold-Eyed Selkie
Marang River Prowler
Neurok Commando
Neurok Spy
Ouphe Vandals
Pestermite
Shardless Agent
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
True-Name Nemesis
Golgari Decoy
Knacksaw Clique
Latchkey Faerie
Master Thief
Sakashima the Impostor
Scarwood Bandits
Infiltrator il-Kor
Keeper of Keys
Kessig Cagebreakers
Deepchannel Mentor

Other - 32
Aqueous Form
Burgeoning
Elixir of Immortality
Infiltration Lens
Blade of Selves
Cloak and Dagger
Defend the Hearth
Dense Canopy
Evolution Charm
Lat-Nam's Legacy
Mind Stone
Rogue's Gloves
Seal of Primordium
Thought Vessel
Fecundity
Harrow
Rites of Flourishing
Simic Cluestone
Thieves' Fortune
Whispersilk Cloak
Dissipation Field
Domineering Will
Door of Destinies
Helm of the Host
Illusionist's Gambit
Evacuation
Time Reversal
Urban Evolution
Mirror Match
Stolen Identity
Knowledge Exploitation
Choking Vines

GUB Damia, Sage of Stone - I dunno what this deck does // Gorgon/Snake tribal? - you may also explore a "Vraska - Assassin" build if you don't like the snake angle.
WUBRG ?? - Recommend Avatar Tribal. There are some great "builders" like Figure of Destiny, the Shadowmore cycle, lots of interesting branches, etc. Most importantly,there are multiple 5C Avatars to be General, and you can swap them as needed to suit the table (I usually run Karona, but Progenitus and Child of Alara swap in easily with the right build)

Edited for clarity (I hope)

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2018-Aug-19 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-19 1:50 pm 

Welp, since I got a big tax return a month or so ago I've just blown $300 (USD) on cards and I still have 12 sets to go through using Sheldon's SCG articles :D

I could post a the giant list of what I bought (about 260 cards) if anyone's interested but I can't imagine anyone is. Gonna have to be a bit more circumspect about the last few sets, although I do still have a bunch of tax return money left over....

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-02 9:38 am 

Cards arrived (after a delay which was 100% on the local courier company, not on Card Kingdom, who were amazing), and literally spent every waking moment over the weekend going through the new cards, some old cards I'd already earmarked to go into my decks, and my folders (occasionally) tweaking all of my decks.

And I'm about 50% done. Oh boy.

When I'm done doing that I'll update my lists on deckbox.org and post 'em here.

There have been some small changes (Rafiq got one card - Sigil of Valor) and some major ones (Anax and Cymede got upwards of 30 changes), as well as 5 brand new decks (Traxos, and all the four colour decks aside from Kynaios and Tiro which I'm pretty happy with out of the box)

Still don't actually have a deck for most of the four-colour generals, but I have a plan for them, at least.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-02 9:52 am 

Also, I spent most of the weekend watching the CommandZone's Game Knights games - not bad and they have some good editing and a good sense of humour but man some of those decks and players are pretty cutthroat! It's not unusual to see a 15-20 minute 4 player game :O Good to see guest stars like Melissa Del Tora (spoiler; the Pro Tour player wins the game), Gavin Verhey, a couple of cosplayers, and an NFL defensive end getting in on some games. Pretty interesting stuff although they don't seem to upload very often and I think I've seen them all now.

Related; The Professor (from the Tolarian Community College) is a bit of an ass isn't he? Just me? OK ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-03 7:41 am 

Viperion wrote:
Also, I spent most of the weekend watching the CommandZone's Game Knights games - not bad and they have some good editing and a good sense of humour but man some of those decks and players are pretty cutthroat! It's not unusual to see a 15-20 minute 4 player game :O

I enjoy those shows too, the hosts seem to enjoy that play style, but my own meta is a lot less tolerant of constant board wipes (same reason they hate this years commander product decks).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-03 9:54 am 

Viperion wrote:
So, if I'm building these decks, what has been released recently that would fit well into them? I

givess us the deckslistss preciouses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-03 11:09 am 

Kemev wrote:
givess us the deckslistss preciouses

Here's the VERY OUT OF DATE version; I'll be updating the decks on this site...... soon......ish....probably

https://deckstats.net/decks/5132/?lng=en

Some (most) of these are way out of date and wrong on several levels though. Will update here when I update there

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-04 8:06 am 

Well finally finished 24/25 Single, Double, and Triple colour decks last night (Only Sultai to go, which is going to be a ground-up build of Snake/Gorgon/Naga tribal, possibly with a poison theme) - Next thing to do is get the online decklists updated.

Quite happy with how they turned out I think although obviously they need to be battle-tested. Also I'm still 6 or 7 sets behind so there are no doubt cards which will need to go in. I'm already making difficult decisions about what to cut so I suspect I'm getting to the "only completely on-theme cards will go in, but I'll be taking on-theme cards out" stage.... or cutting things like basic removal which really need to be in every deck.

From memory I made (approximately) about 10 changes on average with some decks getting many many more than that (notably Anax and Cymede, and changing the Inalla and Edgar Markov pre-cons) and a few which were changed less (Rafiq got 1 card, Omnath got 2)

Offline Profile