Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-16 9:09 pm

Post subject: On whether combat manipulation is that effective
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-04 6:17 am 

(Usual warning: Have not played yet because transportation is quite the issue on Cape Cod when you don't have a driver's license, want to make sure things are not self-undermining before committing a purchase, &c &c &c)

And by combat manipulation, I don't mean suddenly changing stats or granting temporary first strike or whatnot. I mean messing around with who's blocking whom, including making enemy creatures block as a form of removal. (The current iteration would be in here, towards the bottom: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18895)

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm just not looking in the right places, but I've felt a bit of doubt recently regarding whether this idea of mine is that good, simply because I get the feeling I'm the only one charting this way in the first place. I was a bit heartened when Menery seemed to have a similar scheme going according to his new SCG article (http://www.starcitygames.com/articles/3 ... pdate.html), only to find that his stratagem mostly involves a token-fueled Opposition to make everything unable to block.

(The original inspiring card, by the way? Invasion Plans, back when Intet, the Dreamer arrived and interested me, but I was having trouble finding anything red that appealed to me. Of course, the fact that EDHRec only records 284 decks with IP isn't helping my mood...Is it so low because your opponents can benefit from it as well, even if you could probably make deals around it? Not that the other cards of that theme are necessarily that high, either--Boros Battleshaper at 790, for instance. Is the 2240 for Master Warcraft low or medium?)

I wouldn't be surprised that, assuming that I'm not just thinking far outside the box, the "turn-off" is that it's somehow regarded as less efficient than just an overwhelming onslaught, or quasi-clearing the board with something like Sunblast Angel. Maybe a shorter way of asking my question is, how is combat regarded in Commander, usually?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: On whether combat manipulation is that effective
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-04 6:51 pm 

Don't worry about consensus. Many powerful cards are overlooked, and many highly-played cards are overrated.

How combat looks in a game of Commander depends heavily on your opponents. The more slow-paced a game, the more important combat phases are.

You may not have fun against efficient creature removal. Boardwipes, and even Fleshbag Marauder effects (imagine if all your opponents played a couple :( ) can prevent you from building an army. Haste helps a lot more in those scenarios.

Offline Profile