Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 7:04 pm

Post subject: Decklist help: Tana and Ravos
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-24 9:45 pm 

ImageImage

For my Gruul-Zhov deck, I want to put these two lovely people together. It's going to be a creature token deck, but to be honest every deck list I'm coming up with is basically a Gruul deck with very little in the way of Black or White cards in it.

I'm also oscillating between "make Tana huge, get a ton of Saprolings, go Saproling Tribal" and "Make all the tokens with all the cards that make tokens" which isn't helping

If you were building this deck, which White and/or Black cards would you put in it? They don't have to be mono-W or mono-B at all, just have those colours in them.

Cheers folks
Viperion

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Decklist help: Tana and Ravos
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-25 12:47 am 

I would probably avoid much focus on black or white, but that's just the Temur in me ferociously roaring. The deck's plan is to go wide, but with Ravos at the helm you want to have creatures to return. With Tana at the helm you want to help bump up the squad's power. The big intersection might just be a tonne of lords or creatures that can increase your damage output.

Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Benalish Marshal (though that may be too white), Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Aurelia, the Warleader, Angel of Invention, Angel of Jubilation, Creakwood Liege (and other lieges), Cliffside Lookout, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Flame-Kin Zealot, Inspiring Unicorn, Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon", Maw of the Obzedat, Selesnya Guildmage, Sublime Archangel, Sunblade Elf, Tah-Crop Elite, Tolsimir Wolfblood, Trostani Discordant and Woodvine Elemental.

In my search I've also spotted Behind the Scenes and Anthem of Rakdos.

There's also a few red creatures like Angrath's Marauders that I'd include in the list, but I don't know of any in black or white besides Gisela.

Yasova Dragonclaw - Yasova Tinyclaw/Slightly-less-tinyclaw
Kruphix, God of Horizons - That Which Was Taken by Kruphix
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Blackless dredge
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - Monogreen Superfriends
Pharika, God of Affliction - Hemlock

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-25 10:03 am 

You're sorting of operating in the same space as these threads with Bruse Tarl + Reyhan. I would check there for some ideas on beatdown creatures. I might throw in a couple auras to pump Tana (like Rancor, Fallen Ideal, and Shield of the Oversoul), and then add in Evershrike to reuse them (mostly 'cause I think Evershrike is pretty neat, and I can never find a deck for it).

I'd also think about switching Ravos for Tymna the Weaver. I really, really, wanted to like Ravos, and he's been consistently underwhelming in every deck I've tried him in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-25 10:17 am 

Stop trying to make Evershrike happen. Evershrike isn't happening.
</mean girls>

Seriously though Evershrike returns itself to the battlefield, something Ravos already does half of, and then puts an Aura from your hand into play attached to it - it doesn't re-use Auras that have already been destroyed.

Re: Ravos vs Tymna - I have to admit I didn't use Tymna because everyone is using Tymna for everything, plus I have a Ravos and not a Tymna, plus Ravos is a (small) flying anthem effect which kind of works with Tana (ideally I'm looking at a T3 Tana, T4 Ravos, swing and get 3 2/2 Saprolings)

I suppose I should re-word the question a little bit to narrow down the answers: There are a million good token makers in Red and Green (Mycoloth is going to be stupid in this deck), but aside from White Sun's Zenith and Army of the Damned (both one-shot effects) I'm having issues with what Black and/or White can provide by way of support for an aggro-ish token strategy. So far I've got Collective Blessing, Intangible Virtue, and Grave Titan. Given Ravos returns a creature each turn, something that maybe sacrifices itself to make dudes?

I mean, I guess it's ok if the deck ends up being 40% green, 30% red, and 15% each Black and White, but I want to feel like the Orzhov "half" of the pairing is pulling it's weight, you know?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Last edited by Viperion on 2018-Nov-25 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-25 10:19 am 

Also, if I wanted to go the all-Saproling singing and dancing route, there's Pallid Mycoderm

I mean, so here's a stupid idea - have a "hidden" commander being Thelon of Havenwood and go Fungus/Saproling heavy with Red and White as backup colours (Impact Tremors and Warstorm Surge and Vicious Shadows?)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-25 10:43 am 

Black and white give you snackrifice interactions and global pump. Several anthems have already been listed... you can also throw in cards like;
Grave Pact, Dictate of Erebos, Butcher of Malakir and Martyr's Bond to make life downright unpleasant for those that would dare have creatures.

Then you can run things like Thallid Soothsayer and Krav, the Unredeemed + Regna, the Redeemer to abuse that for card advantage and profit. Also things like Blood Artist and the various other creatures with the drain on death trigger. Slimefoot seems like a powerful include as well, with Tana spamming saprolings everywhere.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-25 11:17 am 

Hmmmmmmm...... I actually just put a Krav and Regna deck together for a friend (*ahem blatant advertising here ahem*) which I really liked the look of... that's a really good idea. Put in some Red and Green token makers, pair it up with Krav shenanigans.... thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-28 9:30 am 

Viperion wrote:
Seriously though Evershrike returns itself to the battlefield, something Ravos already does half of, and then puts an Aura from your hand into play attached to it - it doesn't re-use Auras that have already been destroyed.

Re: Ravos vs Tymna - I have to admit I didn't use Tymna because everyone is using Tymna for everything, plus I have a Ravos and not a Tymna, plus Ravos is a (small) flying anthem effect which kind of works with Tana (ideally I'm looking at a T3 Tana, T4 Ravos, swing and get 3 2/2 Saprolings)

Kinda. That was why I was suggesting stuff like Fallen Ideal; the aura recurs itself, so you can keep using it. I also think having some solid aura pumps on Tana is really valuable, 'cause honestly even if you curve into Ravos, attacking with a 3/3 on turn 5 is not impressive.

I think Sid's suggestions are solid, but if you end up going with Thelon for the giant fungus beatdown, you might add a few double strike makers. Maybe also Waves of Aggression.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-28 11:03 am 

BTW if you're gonna spam saprolings... Nemata, Grove Guardian. That is all.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-28 11:19 am 

See previous comment about Pallid Mycoderm ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-29 5:39 am 

A couple other token generators in W/B

Entreat The Angels
Increasing Devotion
Mobilization
Spawning Pit
Army of the Damned
Bitterblossom
Bloodline Keeper
Creakwood Liege
Dune-Brood Nephilim
Ghave, Guru of Spores
Ophiomancer
Worm Harvest

If a lot of tokens are dying, then Black Market could be helpful.

Eldrazi Monument and Beastmaster Ascension are also good with tokens. (I know, they aren't W/B)

Mentor of the Meek is some good card draw with tokens (along with Skullclamp of course).

Offline Profile