Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-21 10:41 pm

Post subject: Tyrant's Choice - Why isn't this played in Lord of Riots?
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-24 10:06 pm 

Rakdos, Lord of Riots seems like a commander that cries tears of joy if seeing Tyrant's Choice.

In a standard pod at worst it's a one sided innocent blood, which a decent sacrifice early tempo removal. At best it's an 12 mana discount for 2 mana. I know often punisher mechanic cards are looked down on, but considering this one requires a vote which is easier to manipulate, I feel like this deserves a spot in the 99 for Rakdos.

I know I'm free to play whichever cards I want in my deck, but found it near criminal that EDHREC doesn't have it listed on the top cards list.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tyrant's Choice - Why isn't this played in Lord of Riots?
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-24 10:51 pm 

Rakdos doesn't really need an unreliable one-turn-only discount of 12 that does nothing else. It has better cards and plans available.

Most of the creatures in your deck have a generic component of 6 or less. Dealing 2 damage to 3 players is enough to get you the maximum discount on all of them. On the turns before summoning Rakdos, you'll set up the board with staples like Thermo-Alchemist and Cryptolith Fragment. Once you summon Rakdos these cards will be giving you most of the discount you'll ever need every single turn. They also do other things beside give you a discount: Thermo-Alchemist could be a surprise chump blocker and Cryptolith Fragment generates mana.

A handful of cards in your deck will have a higher generic component than 6 (e.g. Eldrazi). By the time you're ready to cast those you're probably capable of dealing at least 9 damage to players that turn (at the very least via combat damage). That is enough of a discount you're casting most of the Eldrazi for 1-3 mana, which is good enough.

You also have other, better, repeatable ways to ensure players sacrifice creatures: Mogis, God of Slaughter for example. You'll be doing this because you want to minimise the nuber of blockers your opponents have available, because that means you'll be able to break through with attackers and earn mana discounts through combat damage.

In theory Tyrant's Choice in a god hand and god draws lets you dump 5 Eldrazi for 2 mana total on turn 4, but you don't need to do that since this isn't a competitive format. However most of the time your opponents should simply be ready to vote Death because they won't want you to have a 12 mana discount. The players with 0 creatures can vote Death for free and sacrifice nothing.

If you want an explosive turn we now have Dire Fleet Ravager which will give you much more than a 12 mana discount.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tyrant's Choice - Why isn't this played in Lord of Riots?
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-25 6:01 am 

EDHrec is a handy tool for seeing how most people play. It's not as handy for figuring out sensible ways to play. Averaging together a ton of bad advice doesn't give you better advice, it just gives you consistently bad advice.

With Rakdos, most people prefer permanent-based sources of damage 'cause they're banking on playing a pinger in turn 2-3, and then turning that into Rakdos + a fatty the turn after. It leaves their build a bit vulnerable, since if their opponents always squash the Lobber Crew or whatever, Rakdos is pretty much dead in the water.

I think you're right that mixing in instant/sorcery sources of damage gives you handy options for sneaking out Rakdos (and a bunch of free creatures)... I'm not sure that Tyrant's Choice would be at the top of my list though. I'd rather add the Earthquake variants first, since they're more multi-purpose (you get bonus board control). Then I'd probably look for damage everyone cards like Price of Progress and Flame Rift (they prevent the table for voting death when you really want torture).

tl;dr EDHrec, frequently suspect. Tyrant's Choice, very medium

Offline Profile