[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Thinking about Storrev

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 6:51 am

Post subject: Thinking about Storrev
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-22 10:32 am 

I know the usual refrain, at least among the competitive retinue, is going to be "use Meren instead". Yet I've never been fond of the experience counter mechanic; too gimmicky, by my lights. (And this was long before existed.) And I think someone on MTGSalvation or Reddit has already called Storrev a much healthier take on Meren's scheme.

Still, we need to figure out what Storrev can do, outside of Superfriends, that Meren cannot, besides being much more desirable in a fight.

I think at least part of the answer is going to be when you specifically want the creatures to be cast, not just enter the battlefield outright. Notice that Meren requires direct entry with enough experience counters for a given creature.

Basically, I'm thinking of kicker creatures like . The trick will be finding enough to justify Storrev over Meren, that won't cramp your ability to cast extra spells after being kicked.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thinking about Storrev
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-22 10:47 am 

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

{1}{B}{B}{G}
Legendary Creature — Zombie Elf Wizard

Trample

Whenever Storrev, Devkarin Lich deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker, return to your hand target creature or planeswalker card in your graveyard that wasn’t put there this combat.

5/4

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-23 2:46 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-24 2:18 am 

A couple random disembodied thoughts:

1. Not to the level of superfriends, but Storrev is a lot more planeswalker friendly. The two simple conclusions are that he is more receptive to PWs like that tend to die rather quickly, and that there's also some design space in looking at where PW abilities overlap. Off the top of my head, the latter fact brings to mind zombies and big mana as possible archetypes he could helm.

2. While both he and Meren are value engines, Meren is only so while Storrev is also an active combatant. This makes him not only a prime candidate for a Voltron build, but IIRC a rather unique one in that his support would come primarily from creatures and planeswalkers.

3. Expanding on what you mentioned regarding cast vs ETB, Storrev generally works best with things that do their job from the hand rather than on the field. This includes the aforementioned kickers and cards like , but also cycling, bloodrush, channel, creatures with flash, hand-size-matters, and other related effects.

4. He is far and away the best candidate for Golgari Wizard tribal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-24 12:50 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-25 12:02 pm 

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-26 3:47 pm 

Golgari Infiltrator is a neat twist on and . This one is particularly efficient with and . So mad props.

Disagree about the attitude toward "Play Meren instead." Legendary Creatures aren't an especially powerful cardtype, and while Meren is powerful- this guy's niche is different enough that it should be obvious that anyone who would actually say "Play Meren instead" probably hasn't played enough hands of EDH (queue the same rant I always have about people asking me why I don't play as a commander.)

The sick thing here, is that Trample with green mana can be significantly stronger than the usual evasion that gets played with Infiltrator commanders. So the first major dig I'd look into is variants (, , , and come to mind.) All of these are incredible with any source of First Strike ontop of the value can get just putting First Strike on any infiltrator. Also, possibly a proper home for .

Choice do-nothing I'd like with this commander is .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-26 3:57 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-30 5:22 am 

Evoke critters are better in other colors, but using and wouldn't be the worst. Alongside the previously mentioned Bloodrush, Kicker, etc. Any sort of "creatures as spells" type abilities would be pretty reasonable. Even just cycling creatures with a bonus trigger. , maybe?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Apr-30 7:26 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-09 6:35 am 

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS