Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-21 8:37 am

Post subject: urza, lord high artificer.
AgePosted: 2019-May-22 8:29 am 

This is basicly a 2 piece post.
One: deck ideas/ discussion.

B: is urza unhealthy?

First idea: equipment
Basicly the swords, darksteel armor, hammer of naz, the boots,mask of avacyn, and a hand full of 0cmc equips (shields and bonesaw), and a few cmc1 equips like viridian claw. A suite of cantrips and draw spells, a few decent counterspells and then slam a protection from x indestructible big boy urza at someone, have equipment as mana rocks
Second idea: Stax
Winter static and torpor, tanglewire. Smoke stacks, basicly all manner of artifact stax pieces and artifact pay offs like efficient construction and sai master Thopterist, make as many thopters as stax peices. This should be faster to play a losing battle against thanks to thopters (my comparison being grand arbiter) so wins for the pilot feel less grindy( tap down opponents stuff, get in for thopter beats), as well as easier to shut down than grand arbiter since the deck relys heavily on its commander to make it function properly.

Third idea: Myr? Haven't got the myr cards to make it work but genesis chamber,battle sphere, efficient construction and sai thopter daddy, go wide artifact beatdown? This idea is purely conjecture at current.

But that leads me to my second discussion: while formulating the deck ideas I notice that in addition to having a wildly different approach with several decks sounds great for a new commander (and play testing volton urza was Super Fun, try it!) Does the stax variant make this bannable? As he effectively makes Orb effects completely asymmetrical. He doesn't get around every stax effect and doesn't play well with enchantments. BUT holy one sided field oppression batman. Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: urza, lord high artificer.
AgePosted: 2019-May-22 11:18 am 

In reverse order:

Quote:

B: not ban-bait. Discussion under way starting here.

I would take this Construct Tribal. It would be flexible enough that a few card swaps could keep it very low-key (fun things like a Golgothian Sylex combo* or flicker effects for more X/X tokens) or power it up (things like Intruder alarm).

First idea:Brass Man, Infinite Reflections, Donate type effect to give a player all brass men to nuke with the Sylex

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2019-May-23 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-22 5:04 pm 

Thanks for the urza discussion link!

So now: Construct tribal! Now that didnt even occur to me! That's a fun idea! You could get the kaladesh constructs like gearhulk and chief of the foundry, even metalwork colossus as a pay off! Deckhand for deep searching , I dont remember the exact name. Hey you get walking Balista and that's just terrifying with huge mana! I really like the construct tribal idea, it feels very flavor with urza.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 2:05 am 

I don't think that Urza will be banned. He is strong, but is he as strong or stronger than Teferi, Temporal Archmage, Zur the Enchanter, Arcum Dagsson, or Atraxa, Praetors' Voice (just to name a very few). If none of those have been banned, I think the Lord High Artificer will be safe.

My bigger banned concern is Paradox Engine. Great value with Urza, but I don't want to get one, only to see it soon banned. Although I guess The Chain Veil has survived Teferi, so maybe I shouldn't worry?

As for direction, I originally built Teferi with a stax element, only to find that it did not sit well with my play group. So for me, stax with Urza is immediately out. I have been thinking about Thopter Go Wide, especially since Urza was fond of thopters in the novels, but Construct tribal seems fun too. One card that I am almost guaranteed to stick in either is Barrin, Master Wizard. Especially in the Thopter deck, 2 and a thopter to bounce a creature is great and has a lot of options. Plus it would be fun to see these two work together. Heck, maybe make a Tolarian Academy theme/sub theme. Urza, Barrin, Rayne, Academy Chancellor, any/all of the mono-U Teferis, Ertai, Wizard Adept, the Karns.

Definitely looking forward to Urza, Lord High Artificer!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-20 12:35 am 

Magistrate's Scepter , Karn's Bastion, Mana Vault + Sol Ring. I think you see where I am going with this.
And yes Paradox engine would lead to infinite mana and allow you to cast your whole deck with Urza.
I want to try it now :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 7:55 pm 

Me too! Want to try it

Offline Profile