Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-21 9:14 am

Post subject: Help with the 32 Deck Challenge
AgePosted: 2019-May-30 10:31 am 

Because I've decided that my wallet and I don't need to be friends, I've decided to do it. Build a commander deck for every color combo. And while I've gotten a large portion of it finished and the rest of it at least planned, there's still a few nicks that I haven't quite been able to work out. With all of them, I'll describe the choices I'm debating between, although feel free to chime in a different option if you think I'd like it. Before I get to them, here are the decks that I have (more or less) settled on:

Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana. Stomp, Voltron, Big Mana, everything Omnath does.
Black: Geth, Lord of the Vault. Get cards in the opponents' respective yards by any means possible, minor focus on artifact synergy.
Blue: Thada Adel, the Acquisitor. Standard copy/clone/steal with some artifacts and sea monsters.
Red: Grenzo, Havoc Raiser. Goblin tribal.

Simic: Ezuri, Claw of Progress. 100% creatures, bunch of little guys make counters, and big guys get them.
Gruul: Nikya of the Old Ways. Also 100% creatures, more big mana stomp build
Dimir: Lazav, Dimir Mastermind. UB Mill.
Rakdos: Xantcha, Sleeper Agent. Discard.
Orzhov: Daxos the Returned. Pretty standard Daxos, enchantress+tokens+control.
Izzet: Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain. Mono-green ramp-and-stomp, but not in green. Also 100% historic.
Azorius: Ephara, God of the Polis. UW aggro.

Sultai: Muldrotha, the Gravetide. Reanimator.
Temur: Intet, the Dreamer. Dragon tribal.
Bant: Arcades, the Strategist. Standard Bant control, but with extra walls.
Naya: Zacama, Primal Calamity. Green mana, red damage, and white control.
Grixis: Kess, Dissident Mage. Grixis spellslinger, pretty big emphasis on copying spells.
Esper: Varina, Lich Queen. Zombie tribal.
Mardu: Queen Marchesa. Superfriends, might change to something else.
Jeskai: Shu Yun, Silent Tempest. 1v1 speed voltron.

Non-Blue: Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder + Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper. Combat shenanigans and some life gain.
Non-Black: Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis. Give them cards and mana, and then steal it.
Non-Green: Akri, Line-Slinger + Silas Renn. Vehicles.
Rainbow: Sliver Queen. Creatureless goodstuff control.

With that said, here are the areas where I'm stuck:
1. I'm currently piloting an Eight-and-a-Half Tails equipment voltron deck, and hope to at some point build the Boros deck run by Anya, Merciless Angel. The thing I'm debating is to whether to keep the Tails deck as is and turn Anya into some kind of punisher deck, or to move all the equipment support to Anya and figure out something else for Tails (probably a control shell). The single biggest reason why I don't want to give Anya a punisher deck is because I can't figure out a way to make the white half of the deck relevant without resorting to prison/stax/pillowfort cards and I certainly don't want to do that.

2. One of the decks I'd like to build is a deck that specifically tries to build an impenetrable board state. Layering effects like Avacyn, Angel of Hope Privileged Position, Sigarda, Host of Herons, Shalai, Voice of Plenty, and other cards like them. The two generals I have in mind for this idea are Dragonlord Dromoka and Anafenza, the Foremost. Dromoka is more of a direct win condition, and also directly contributes to creating such a board state, while Anafenza provides more resilience due to black's contribution to removal, card advantage, recursion, and win conditions.
If I choose Anafenza, there will be quite a few Selesnya commanders to choose between. If I choose Dromoka, I'll be debating between finding something else for Anafenza to do and going a standard Karador build. And speaking of Karador...

3. It's probably not much of a secret that my favorite color combo is Green/Black, and one of if not my single favorite deck type is reanimator. The problem then arises when I want to build a deck for each GB combo, and I feel I have to resist the urge to make all of them reanimator. The problem has reached its peak for Golgari and Jund, where there are so many good reanimator options and it's insane to try to narrow them down. The compromise I think I'll be able to handle is to make only one of them a reanimator deck, and that has manifested in one of the two options:
Meren of Clan Nel Toth reanimator and Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire aristocrats
Lord Windgrace reanimator and... jeez there are so many fantastic ones to choose from

4. The remaining three color combos are Non-Red, Non-White, and Brown. I definitely want Atraxa, although don't know what to do with her, while the other two combos I'm completely at a loss for what to do. I'm leaning Yidris and Karn, Silver Golem respectively, but haven't gotten any further than that.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Help with the 32 Deck Challenge
AgePosted: 2019-May-30 2:21 pm 

1. How wedded to Anya are you...? One of my favorite decks ever was Jor Kadeen RW tokens. Jor Kadeen was mostly there as a high-powered anthem effect, with a bare minimum of artifacts to keep metalcraft up. The concept is super flexible; the only vital cards are red haste providers and white token producers, with a few sac outlets to keep them busy. I ran it with a side of land destruction and opposing artifact hate, but you could easily run your choice of Mirror Strikes instead.

2. I don't think black actually adds that much to the impenetrable Privileged Position. White has all the removal you need, green is packed with card advantage, and alot of the recursion you'd want is to recur enchantments, which is white again.

3. There's a ton of variance in how different reanimator decks play. Teneb is nothing like BUG Sidisi, who is nothing like Muldrotha, who is nothing like Lord Windgrace, who is nothing like Meren. If it makes you happy to build multiple graveyard decks, go for it! It's kinda a fun deckbuilding puzzle... how many different reanimator builds can you make without using overlapping effects? (buzzfeed says, the answer may surprise you)

4. Ydris cascade is a deck I've wanted to build for a long time; I have this vague idea that I want to play the high-powered uncastable cards (Hypergenesis, Living Death, Wheel of Fate), and no cards under CMC 3 so I'm guaranteed to flip them off the 3 mana cascade cards.

The other two are tough for me too. I've never played with/against a colorless deck that was fun; I toyed with Kozilek, the Great Distortion control when Zendikar was back in standard, but I don't remember if I actually sleeved it up and played it. Atraxa is kinda a snoozer for me; she lends herself to defensive playstyles, and that's not my game. I think the partner commanders in Not-Red have some interesting possibilities... both Tymna/Kydele and Reyhan/Ishai have intriguing synergies that I've never seen anyone explore.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-30 11:41 pm 

I had a voltron Karn, Silver Golem that was a lot of fun. There were some times when I got Eldrazi Conscription out on turn 5 and layed waste to everyone, but that was very rare.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-31 12:34 am 

As far as Atraxa is concerned, the most fun I've had with her at the helmet is Fungus/Saproling tribal. It's honestly a blast to play, in my opinion, and very few people anywhere will be playing it too. Yeah, it'll still be a little more on the defensive side while you build up stuff, but it gets downright bananas mid-to-late game.

If you'd like another option for Boros, you might give Feather a look. I know Feather is a super popular Commander right now too, but for good reason. Just some preliminary testing seems to show the deck will be super interesting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-31 3:05 am 

A couple opinions:

2. Gotta say I agree with Kemev here. Black doesn't add much towards your stated goal. Plus, having one piece of protection in the command zone (be it Sigarda or Shalai) should assist in assembly of invulnerability.

4. Not sure how much Shatterstorm is played in your meta, but our playgroup has a Traxos Artifact Stompy deck that's been fun (and sometimes frightening, if the fast mana shows up) to play against.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile