Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 12:22 pm

Post subject: Colorless Slivers
AgePosted: 2019-Dec-07 1:25 pm 

This was sort of brought up on the Inverted Commander thread in Random chatter, but I thought it would be best to include it here since I'm actually interested in continuing the thought train.

In effect: using a legendary Sliver at the head of a true colorless identity deck. That means no mana rocks which include a mana symbol; no lands either. No colored Slivers. Etc.

I took a look through cards, and I don't actually believe it'll be *that* bad on the mana front to get all five colors of mana. I've grabbed 13 mana rocks which provide colored mana in some form or fashion, and only one of them is a filter-type (Gemstone Array) while I'm also including Expedition Map in there. On the lands side, I managed 14 lands which can make all colors of mana--only two of them are the weaker ones which require paying mana to get out. I don't have hands on Gateway Plaza, Grand Coliseum, Spire of Industry, Unclaimed Territory, and Crubling Vestige (as a very big maybe). Geode Golem is likely a necessary add. Prototype Portal and Mirrorworks can help, although they are somewhat painfully slow.

Another good question would be which legend. Well, I think ideally it would be Sliver Queen, but I don't own one. So the next best choice is probably Sliver Hivelord. Overlord doesn't have much to search for and I think Legion will be too susceptible. Unfortunately, it'll be difficult to make good use of The First Sliver, but I'm happy to be shown a good path--hint, there's only three colorless Slivers.

Where does that leave us? I'm not sure. Hivestone seems like an auto-include if I'm serious about Slivers being in here, which'll be the first time I've actually had a reason to play the card. Then there's also Sliversmith, Adaptive Automaton, Brass Herald (won't be getting anything, but still counts), Metallic Mimic, Riptide Replicator[/card] (hey, the artwork matches!), Volrath's Laboratory, Birthing Boughs, Mirror of the Forebears, Helm of the Hosts, Mirage Mirror, Mirrorpool, and Soul Foundry. Some of these are decent options, some are...the best available.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be too difficult to make Hivelord a Voltron. With built-in indestructible and finding a way to grant hexproof you'll be nigh unstoppable. More or less. It won't be a "true" tribal deck exactly, but it would technically fit the parameters of the question as a valid solution.

If there were an easy, consistent method for getting out the Hivestone, using Karns to change non-creature artifacts into creatures might be humorous. Yet I don't know if there's quite enough tutor options for making it pleasantly consistent.

And to be clear, I'm honestly giving this consideration. I'd really like to switch my Hivelord deck over to The First Sliver yet haven't had a reason to do it until now. Even if it ends up being casual as long as it isn't awful casual, almost unwinnable casual, I'll be happy.

Have I missed something important? Would you give the deck a chance if somebody brought it to your table, even though Slivers are still one of the most hated deck types (just above Stax)?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Colorless Slivers
AgePosted: 2019-Dec-08 1:23 am 

You crazy, crazy bastard =) Godspeed is all I can say to this.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-08 1:38 am 

Don't forget there are actually 3 colorless slivers: Venser's Sliver, Metallic Sliver, and Sliver Construct. There's also Sliver Hive and Mutavault.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-08 2:31 am 

Coco wrote:
Don't forget there are actually 3 colorless slivers: Venser's Sliver, Metallic Sliver

I hadn't forgotten, just felt like they were obvious enough to not mention in the first post. But thank you for pointing them out. :)

I DID, however, forget about Mutavault. I don't know if I have another copy to use or not, I'll have to check. I also need to mention Universal Automaton. There was a tab open on my phone with the Automaton on it, but then stupidly forgot to include it.

Offline Profile