Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Oct-20 2:55 pm

Post subject: Emblems
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-21 5:39 pm 

While I haven't got round to making anyone play it yet, we have had some minor discussion on the subject of an EDH variant whereby all players after choosing their decks proceed to draft a planeswalker emblem to have in Command Zone in addition to their general.

With the release of Kaladesh there are suddenly a load more tier one options...

Here's a list of the planeswalkers that create them, I hope it's complete:
Planeswalkers making Emblems

I doubt this will be very balanced, but it's something to do for a bit of variety. I'm also pretty sure anyone picking Dovin's will be getting a good kicking in their now 3v1 game.

Will also be interested to hear anyone's justifications of the best ones. Don't forget, decks are locked in before you get an option on a specific emblem. Might even be better to randomise from a small selection. Anyone got a good way of making the negative emblems practical?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Emblems
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-22 12:58 am 

I honestly don't think Dovin is even top 5. I think the most powerful ones are:

1. Tamiyo, Field Researcher - "You may cast nonland cards from your hand without paying their mana costs."
2. Jace, Unraveler of Secrets - "Whenever an opponent casts his or her first spell each turn, counter that spell."
3. Narset - "Your opponents can't cast noncreature spells."
4. Liliana, the Last Hope - "At the beginning of your end step, create X 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens, where X is two plus the number of Zombies you control."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-25 1:04 am 

I think you're giving Lili too little credit. She closes out T3 with 14 2/2 blockers. That's beyond Krenko level madness, even before you build a deck.

@Nomad: Would you limit the emblem by CI of the Commander? Would you limit the deck to CI of the emblems walker? While crazy unbalanced regardless, how the CI of your deck, emblem's walker, and Commander interact should be considered.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-04 5:51 am 

Ok... really, really not balanced.

But -- knowing that from the get-go ... you need to decide if you want to try to do some balancing? Or just leave it unbalanced and be sure that everyone knows that (but regardless how you go about it - you'll almost certainly eventually find someone who says it's not fair, and it's random BS that they got emblem X, while an opponent got emblem Y which is why they won the game...)

You also mentioned that the players would "draft" an emblem. .... Just how do you propose to do a draft where everyone picks only a single "card"? That seems more of a "You get one randomly"

I can envision where you deal 2-3 out to each player and they choose one - but I wouldn't call that a "draft."

Myself, I'd take the emblems and have 'riders' on them. Most common would likely be "your starting life is: X"

Off the top of my head, X = Y + 2Z; Y = Loyalty Cost of the emblem from the card creating it, Z = # of turns before the 'walker could create it.

So Gideon, Ally of Zendikar would be: Starting Life = 36; and Jace, Unraveler of Secrets would be: Starting Life = 26

Might be enough to balance them - might not. So would take testing and adjusting the formula (perhaps restrict starting/max hand size as another knob to play with -- similar to Vanguard cards.)

To add in a bit more variety, there's also the Conspiracy's which do a similar thing (some are ongoing effects, others are one-time start of the game things.)

And you also touch on the negative emblems -- which are usually given to opponents. So, perhaps for this, you put a "you may give this to another player at the start of the game once all emblems have been chosen."

Offline Profile