Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 1:08 am

Post subject: Re: Commander has it's problems
AgePosted: 2013-Oct-10 10:33 am 

Joz wrote:
I honestly don't think I'm playing the same format as any of you...

I actually like it when my opponents are having fun too.

So true. My play group is small for a reason, and we collaboratively police our decks to make sure overly degenerate things stay out of them. The majority of the people on these boards even, which is more laid back and casual that most collections of EDH players I have see, include things in their decks that we view as too much. We don't actually house ban cards often, only 4 or 5 have made it that far, but it is about the unfun and degenerate combinations of cards.

If you respect your group and respect the game, it is fun. Unfortunately, my experience at LGSs, Grand Prix, and Cons has been that the majority of the EDH community are self centered pricks with no concept of "others matter too."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-10 11:17 pm 

green slime wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
green slime wrote:
Mana Drain is much less impressive in EDH, than legacy.

Are we playing the same format?

http://www.dragonhighlander.net/Forum/v ... f=3&t=4205

Apparently. We might not be reading the same message board though....

Nothing in that three year old thread suggests it's not an amazing spell... only that other options might be more useful in multiplayer. In fact, several people noted they don't play it because it's TOO strong.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-11 1:24 am 

Buthrakaur wrote:
Joz wrote:

So true. My play group is small for a reason, and we collaboratively police our decks to make sure overly degenerate things stay out of them....

If you respect your group and respect the game, it is fun. Unfortunately, my experience at LGSs, Grand Prix, and Cons has been that the majority of the EDH community are self centered pricks with no concept of "others matter too."

QFT. Had to bump, man. This is right on.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-11 7:20 am 

green slime wrote:
Mana Drain is much less impressive in EDH, than legacy.

Epsilon wrote:
Are we playing the same format?

green slime wrote:
http://www.dragonhighlander.net/Forum/v ... f=3&t=4205

Apparently. We might not be reading the same message board though....

Epsilon wrote:
Nothing in that three year old thread suggests it's not an amazing spell... only that other options might be more useful in multiplayer. In fact, several people noted they don't play it because it's TOO strong.

Somehow, I get the distinct feeling you are just trying to be argumentative.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-11 8:32 am 

Commander is played with Vintage legal cards. What do you expect it to be? Even Standard legal cards can be brutal. Modern even moreso. Legacy is the epitome of douchebaggetry. Vintage? It's legacy on steroids.

The funnest games are those where each player has minimal legacy cards in their decks. It's only when someone sits down with their 800 dollar vintage deck, drops mana crypt sol ring and goes off on t3 that it's a shit format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-11 4:19 pm 

Commander got 99 problems, but Fun ain't one.

Commander decks also have 99 cards in them, and the Commander ain't one. Coincidence? I think not.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-11 4:39 pm 

sniper_ix wrote:
The only problem with commander is fast mana. This is a famous quote (not word for word), "If people used the moxen and lotus to power out a turn 2 shivan dragon, it wouldn't be a problem."

I almost always want to pick up my deck every time someone lands t1 sol ring/crypt -> signet. T2 they have 5 mana, which in most cases quickly degenerates in to combo/lock before turn 4.

If the tier 1 mana rocks were banned, games would be much more pleasant. I don't think it is oppressive at all for a player to land T5 Mikey (signet/everflowing/dynamo etc) and then try to resolve T6 trisky. As a combo player myself, I usually NEVER try to resolve a single combo piece and pasing turn...it's way too easy to disrupt that way. I see mikey/triskey as a turn 12 (land drop every turn w/o mana rocks) combo. Turn 12 I would hope the game is nearly over anyways, so I should either be dead or in good position to resolve my combo.

/2 cents

This is the quote:

"I'm sure there were kids using Lotus Petal years ago to put out first-turn Warrior en-Kor, and they were left scratching their heads when the Petal was banned. And maybe, just maybe, a guy somewhere was sacrificing Black Lotuses to power out early War Mammoths, and wondered why in the heck Wizards felt the need to create a Restricted List."

From the article:
Skullclamp, We Hardly Knew Ye
Aaron Forsythe
Friday, June 04, 2004

Link:
https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/ ... daily/af17

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-12 9:44 am 

That article really brings back memories. Man... T3 Vernal Bloom into T4 T&N entwined. And that deck still lost to Affinity most of the time. (And Vernal Bloom is a pretty sweet EDH card that I haven't thought about in a long time...)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-05 8:24 am 

It's not the game... it's the players. If your group is seeing people combo out on turn 7-10, why are you guys letting them live that long?

The social contract is alive and well... Just say.. hmm.. another combo... guess you die first. We do that all the time... if you combo out for the win all the time, you get to find yourself dead first, and then enjoy sitting around for the next hour or so until the game ends.

We have actually had a guy combo out before the "spike"... he killed the spike (say with Mike & Trike), and then said go. We all laughed.... except the dude that was packing up his shit and leaving cause he was so pissed off.

If your play group lets that happen, then it's on all of you. People learn, if you do that all the time, you will not be playing very much....

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-06 1:00 am 

Joz wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly.

A lot of this thread kinda hurts to read. The OP sounds like someone who rarely played with friends, someone who is getting frustrated by particular cards and combinations thereof that are good against his decks specifically, not necessarily in the format as a whole, and someone who is trying to fit a square peg (their desires for games) into a round hole (the places they go).

That said, there are things that I see in OP's statements that are reminiscent of groups and players I have encountered. I personally dislike the phrase "the spirit of EDH." Combo and lockdown decks are recognizably two of the stronger archetypes in the format.

But, these are not end-all be-all elements of the format, and I have never heard of a meta that is as messed up as the one that OP describes. It sounds like a story thought up by a disgruntled player one night as they were out drinking after a night with a bad game or two.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-12 1:55 pm 

Joz wrote:

Sooo you like it when one of your opponents combos out turn turn and two of your three opponents autolose? Oh wait, they probably aren't having fun if they lose turn two.

You're missing the point. Just because one person is having fun doesn't mean everyone is having fun. Combo is typical non-interactive anti-social fun for one. It makes games predictable and boring.

The best fix for this is playing for second place without the combo player. Sure they get their win, but everybody else gets to keep playing.

Numot the Devastator
Oona, Queen of the Fae
Sun Quan, Lord of the Wu
Livonya Silone
Phelddagrif
Visara the Dreadful
Brion Stoutarm
Shizuko, Caller of Autumn
Vorosh, the Hunter
Reaper King
Progenitus
Lyzolda, the Blood Witch
Captain Sisay
Xira Arien
Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Oros, the Avenger
Venser, Shaper Savant
Konda, Lord of Eiganjo
Thraximundar
Sapling of Colfenor
Skeleton Ship
Lady Orca

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-12 3:48 pm 

nealblind wrote:
Joz wrote:

Sooo you like it when one of your opponents combos out turn turn and two of your three opponents autolose? Oh wait, they probably aren't having fun if they lose turn two.

You're missing the point. Just because one person is having fun doesn't mean everyone is having fun. Combo is typical non-interactive anti-social fun for one. It makes games predictable and boring.

The best fix for this is playing for second place without the combo player. Sure they get their win, but everybody else gets to keep playing.

Wut?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-14 4:07 pm 

I, like other people like it when it is like a board game and it is a balanced board. While one person may win... everyone gets to play. I think playgroups have the problem of not matching their likes up with others and then people are playing different games.

Offline Profile