Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 1:19 am

Post subject: One Rare EDH
AgePosted: 2013-Aug-20 2:54 am 

So I'm brainstorming a pretty simple Commander variant.

I know there are Pauper and Peasant Commander variants but they come with baggage like only X uncommons or they allow non-Legendary creatures as Commanders to get around the lack of common/uncommon Legendary creatures or what have you.

This variant would be simple as possible:

You're allowed up to one rare in your 100 cards.

In this format rares and mythic rares are lumped together as "rares."

If you want your Commander to be the rare then your 99 must be all commons and uncommons.
If you choose a non-rare Commander then you get to stick a single rare or mythic in your 99.

Definition of rare/uncommon/common: The LOWEST rarity that a card has been printed as is the rarity of that card. So if a card has been printed as a rare and an uncommon then it is considered an uncommon, even if you want to run the rare version of it.

That's it. That's the whole format.

The idea isn't to make a budget format. That's impossible, IMO, as you can't anticipate the prices of old cards and banning cards for being popular feels spiteful.

Quick thoughts on the format:
- The number of available two-card combos drops through the floor
- Awkward mana bases keep the multicolour decks in check
- At most you can have one Planeswalker in your deck, and that means having an uncommon Commander
- Sweepers get a lot worse (especially for white)
- Aggro is clearly viable and Skullclamp needs to be monitored carefully

Any thoughts? Would love to hear people's feedback. I can't be the first person to have this idea so if this has been done before let me know who's done it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: One Rare EDH
AgePosted: 2013-Aug-20 5:13 am 

What's your goal for the format? Just to have a simplified Pauper set of rules?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-20 7:54 am 

Yes, a simpler version of Pauper.

This format should still "feel" the same (Legends as Commanders, etc.) while encouraging deck building challenges.

That "feel" is a big part of it. Guildmages as Commanders or Coiling Oracle as a Commander just doesn't "feel" right to me.

The simplicity factor should help too.

"It's EDH where you can play up to one rare or mythic rare." Bang. Format explained.

The fact that decks (should) get cheaper is a nice bonus, but, again, I don't want that to drive any format defining decisions if possible.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-20 12:23 pm 

I feel like generals such as Omnath or Jarad or Kamahl, Fist of Krosa kinda break the format. You just run every Cultivate, Explosive Veg, Farhaven Elf, Rampant Growth effect in the game and use that mana to go SLAM and kill everybody.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-20 4:30 pm 

Narrow decks will still lose for being narrow decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-20 9:16 pm 

Interesting idea, but the fact that most- certainly most modern- legendary creatures these days are at least rare if not mythic kind of seems to kill it, because certain colour combinations are totally barred from using any of their rares in the 99.

Take straight Boros as an example. Agrus Kos? Rare. Aurelia? Mythic. Gisela? Mythic. Basandra? Rare. Tajic? Rare. Etc, etc. There are no uncommon choices to have at all, as I believe Anax and Cymede are also rare in the duel deck.

If you want to even this out, I suggest a blanket ban on rares in the 99. You get one rare slot for your general, and everything else is common or uncommon.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Machine Red)
Sigarda, Heron's Grace (Innistrad's Industrial Revolution)
X (The Spy Who Un'd Me)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Polymorphs)
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Shadowborn Apostles)
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (So Me To You)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-21 2:48 am 

My opinion is that it's rewarding to players who are willing to use less powerful Commanders to give them one whole rare in their deck.

Most games they won't even see that rare. The card they have permanent access to (i.e. their Commander) is weaker and the rare they get to run because of that won't show up often.

Like, the fact that a Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro deck can play a Green Sun's Zenith is rewarding to a deckbuilder without being horribly unfair.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-20 3:54 pm 

The problem with every pauper idea is that a lot of good EDH cards are technically common/uncommon but still extremely expensive/overpowered. Wasteland is a 50 dollar uncommon, Force of Will is 80 uncommon, and recently Remand is 16 uncommon, etc.

Everyone who has ever played EDH, at one point or another, gets sick and tired of constantly having to buy more and more expensive cards for their pet decks. It is this same crowd that wants to go back to the roots of EDH, going through one's shoebox for 100 cards and smashing face.

Have you ever tried making an shoebox EDH league? It's fun for a little while, seeing a Vanilla creature battle royale. Then it gets stale. If you lower the life to 20 or 30 then it's just an inconsistent version of 60-card free for all. Or worse, players will actively go hunt down old powerful common/uncommons which soon break the format in half, "Discarding Ulamog's crusher, reanimate, gg?"

The only way to make a fun, cheap, EDH league would be to build your own pauper cube to draft decks from. I've participated in home cubes, and it can be really time-consuming to the point where once you get ready to play most people are disinterested.

If you want cheap constructed EDH, just try to build a deck based around responses rather than constant threats. It's not as much fun sitting around with instants, but it's cheaper than buying efficient game enders.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-12 6:48 am 

I think it could be fun, but you have the same issues with pauper. There are no boardwipes so it's very hard to deal with aggro/ramp mono green decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-14 10:46 am 

So a couple of my friends took this in a slightly different direction.

Same concept (up to one rare), but any creature can be your Commander.

:facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-14 11:10 am 

Your better option may be to just limit it to one rare in the 99, and let you use whatever for your commander. Because, I can pretty much guarantee you, no deck that chooses a non-rare for their general will be able to do anything against the ones that do. Having a 1/8 chance of finding your rare each game, or having it always available, and able to recast it if it's killed? Yeah, not really even a question, here...

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-07 6:59 pm 

My real question is, how do Ya'll handle timeshifted cards? Most consider them rares, but i have alway felt thay due to power level, and the fact they were tqice as common as any rare in the set, they should be considered uncommons.

I love this idea and will probably get a few people interested in it. I might just convert my horde of notions deck.

Offline Profile