Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 1:12 am

Post subject: Gladiator EDH variant - Second Draft
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-22 11:44 am 

*copied from my post from mtgsalvation

This is my second draft for Gladiator format.

Gladiator follows all the same basic rules as multiplayer EDH.
Gladiator will use the Magic 2.0 rules for mana.

Deckbuilding Changes:
Deck size is once again 99. Since lands are no longer a necessary part of deck construction, it is my hope this will encourage use of some of the less played cards.

Aside from the Commander, you will need to set aside three other cards.

Signature Spell:
Choose an instant or sorcery spell that is COMMON in all printings.
You may cast this spell only while your commander is in play.

Each time you cast it from the command zone, it costs an additional 2 mana to cast.
This makes Counterspells and removal less attractive

The spell always returns to the Command Zone instead of any other zone.
This will hopefully prevent abuse from flashback and buyback

Favored Weapon:
Choose a equipment card. While your commander is on the battlefield, you may cast the equipment by paying it's mana cost.
If your general leaves the battlefield, return the equipment to the command zone.
Each time you cast it from the command zone, it costs an additional 2 mana to cast.
If this card would leave the battlefield, return it to the command zone instead of any other zone.

Banned List:
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of War and Peace
Sword of Body and Mind
Umezawa's Jitte
Preemptively banning all of these as a safety precaution

Ultimate:
Choose any card that costs 6 or more mana.
You can only play this card while the commander is in play.

If the card is an instant or sorcery:
When this card resolves, remove it from the game instead of putting it in any other zone.

If the card is a permanent:
If it would leave the battlefield remove it from the game instead.

Gameplay Changes:
Life totals begin at 30.
Initial hand size is 5.

Thoughts:
Been thinking if the ultimate spell should be uncounterable or have haste?
Should the swords or jitte be allowed as favoured equipments?
Is Duress or Temporal Fissure or Brainstorm broken as signature spells? Is lightning bolt viable as a signature spell?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Gladiator EDH variant - Second Draft
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 4:53 am 

Klodin wrote:
Thoughts:
Been thinking if the ultimate spell should be uncounterable or have haste?
Should the swords or jitte be allowed as favoured equipments?
Is Duress or Temporal Fissure or Brainstorm broken as signature spells? Is lightning bolt viable as a signature spell?

Mana-producing spells seem like a problem too. Best Example: Mana Geyser. I would also worry about low-cost tutors (Mystical Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Worldy Tutor, Enlightened Tutor). Then, there's the cycle of suspend spells you should consider: Restore Balance, Ancestral Vision, Wheel of Fate, Living End, and Hypergenesis.

Swords and Jitte should not be favoured equipment, because if you don't own one of them it is likely you'll get blown-out and not want to play the format again until you do. The 'ultimate spells' should not be uncounterable or have haste: even gladiators showing off their most powerful move can screw up; plus, it is highly possible there are a lot of broken spells which can be played.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 5:50 am 

I'm going to be honest, I got to "Magic 2.0 rules for mana," clicked the link, then immediately disregarded the rest of this post as trash. If you don't understand why mana - including both mana screw and mana flood - is absolutely essential to Magic, then you don't understand even the most basic design principles that define the game.

It's critical to deck building. It's critical to play.

My first suggestion is to get rid of this "2.0" garbage, then maybe I can take the rest of this post seriously.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 6:17 am 

crokaycete wrote:
I'm going to be honest, I got to "Magic 2.0 rules for mana," clicked the link, then immediately disregarded the rest of this post as trash. If you don't understand why mana - including both mana screw and mana flood - is absolutely essential to Magic, then you don't understand even the most basic design principles that define the game.

It's critical to deck building. It's critical to play.

My first suggestion is to get rid of this "2.0" garbage, then maybe I can take the rest of this post seriously.

From what I have heard, the WOW card game utilized this style of play, and it basically went like this: 1) it felt awesome to never be resource screwed; 2) the game virtually died whenever it became obvious the mechanic allowed the best players to always win.

I thought about saying something earlier, but I couldn't think of a nice way to put it until now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 6:41 am 

Both WoW TCG and Kaijudo use(d) this system, but WoW went even further by removing colors of mana and just creating rigid restrictions on which classes were allowed to play which cards.

These choices robbed WoW of a ton of depth. Hearthstone takes that even further by making mana automatically appear every turn. Both the TCG and Hearthstone depend(ed) on familiar IP and a dedicated fan base to cover up the gaping holes in design created by the elimination of mana.

Kaijudo at least is marketed as a beginner game. And honestly, the other unique elements in Kaijudo go a long way toward making up for the lack of mana. (Shields are an astonishingly well-designed catch up mechanic.)

The game that really paid the price for not having mana where the better player always won was VS. Brian Kibler described the first VS world championship as "the easiest pro tour I ever won" because VS was extremely low variance due, in part, to the lack of mana but also due to the complexity of making optimal combat decisions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-25 10:53 am 

I agree with the others that posted before, that whole magic 2.0 might be a lost cause. Why would I want to play this variant of EDH when I need to take out about 33-36 cards and replace them with other cards only to replace them again when I want to play a normal game of EDH with the same deck.

Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy the idea of a weapon that your commander could use that's also in the command zone. Plus your commander has a finishing move is another fun idea. It's like watching an episode of Voltron. Your commander is out there fighting other monsters then he whips out his sword and does his finishing move when he slices the dude in half. Flavor wise it's really good.

I just don't like the idea of removing cards and replacing when ever I want to play this format and move on to another.

Instead of using the whole magic 2.0 mana system you can use the world enchantment cards as different coliseums where the gladiator's fight. But even if you don't like my idea of using world enchantment cards I think you got something here, it's only missing a little something.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-15 3:38 am 

I did something similar but for planechase, I gave everyone a planar die and Fractured Powerstone in the command zone, the powerstone is played like a commander and dies like a commander and means that each turn the player can roll the die at least twice without having to spend mana to roll it more, giving more planes the chance to shine and to get people off planes they were gaining from. It was really fun and we always use that system for planechase now.

I like your take on this apart from the land removal. I hate the lack of land required in WOW, its easy mode, the game is so easy and boring it hurts IMO and I whilst I have read this whole page, I instantly ignored the land part like others here. I would definitely have a strict banned list for the weapon, and also for the ultimate too. As having access to something too powerful like omniscience for example, could be super boring. I also recommend one time use for the signature spell, because ramping over and over is boring, and probably going to be the most popular choice tbh and all ramp fits the bill in rarity and low cost. The weapon being recastable is great and costing 2 more per death is spot on.

I might argue for the weapon to also allow aura's as an option, to spice it up and give more options, they act like equipment anyways, are more easily removed to keep the game flowing and could act like an adrenaline rush for terms of flavour, the gladiator gets a surge of strength and you enchant him/her with runes of the deus for example.

The ultimate I like that it gets exiled so its a one time use.

Might try this at my kitchen table next time we all play, i do like the idea!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-13 2:18 pm 

As for the 2.0 idea of using wow's resource system, I played wow a bit and always hated the resource system. I hated using a card against their purpose. I knew why I wanted it in the deck in the first place, and having to pick cards to use against this purpose always felt bad. I would much rather use the 2 decks or a realms type set up than exile my cards to get basic lands.

Offline Profile