Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-21 7:29 pm

Post subject: Battle of the Gods
AgePosted: 2014-Jun-23 4:38 am 

Hello all. I have lurked here for a while, but joined today so I could share this.

With the Gods in the last block we came up and have been playing god battles in my home group lately. Been a lot of fun so I figured others might enjoy it as well.

It starts off with everyone picking one of the 15 Gods to favor. Each player has to have a different God. If two players want the same God, then they roll for it and can just swap the next time we play.

Deck Construction
Normal EDH rules apply for deck construction with these exceptions:

Decks contain 102 cards. 1 God, 1 Mythic Hero, 1 Rare General and 99 Others.

The God, Mythic Hero, and General start in the Command Zone.

The Mythic Hero and General must share all colors of the God. Mono decks generally have more choices for Heroes, but the dual color Gods have the benefit of both colors creating some balance.

Mythic Hero must be of Mythic Rarity.

Generals must be of Rare Rarity.

The other 99 must not contain any cards of Mythic Rarity except for 1 Planeswalker (optional).

The General and Mythic Hero is determined by the original printing. For instance Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir is considered Rare though he was later printed as Mythic in From the Vault: Legends.

For the Other 99 it will be up to the play group. For instance Platinum Angel was originally Rare and later printed as Mythic in M10/M11 so we consider it Mythic because it upgraded in a normal printing. Basically, if a card changed rarity in a special set/duel deck, we only go with normal printing.

Note: We have toyed with the idea that there should be no other Legendary Cards in the deck or at least Legendary Creatures. I originally considered having only Uncommon/Common cards in the other 99. I think it should be determined by your play group.

Rules
The General can be cast from the Command Zone at any time and follows the normal EDH rules.

Mythic Heroes can only be cast from the Command Zone after the General has been cast at least one time and there is at least 5 devotion.

Gods can only be cast from the Command Zone after the Hero has been cast at least one time and there is at least 7 devotion.

Devotion Rule from Wizards:
"700.5. A player’s devotion to [color] is equal to the number of mana symbols of that color among the mana costs of permanents that player controls. A player’s devotion to [color 1] and [color 2] is equal to the number of mana symbols among the mana costs of permanents that player controls that are [color 1], [color 2], or both colors."

Devotion is counted at the time of casting. If permanents are removed that count towards devotion while the God or Hero are on the stack, the spell will still resolve.

Gods and Heroes will not return to the Command Zone.

If a God or Hero is sent to the Graveyard, they are then immediately Exiled. The do touch the Graveyard (for triggered effects), but if a spell or ability would target them while in the graveyard, they won't exist in that Zone when the spell/ability resolves.

General damage is changed to Mythic Hero Damage. So it basically overwrites the rule 10. "If a player has been dealt 21 points of combat damage by a particular Mythic Hero during the game, that player loses a game."

Summary
My thinking in coming up with this format was that Heroes could enter the battle with powerful abilities and potentially win games like with Hero Damage. Then when Gods enter the battlefield they could change the overall scope of the battle.

It has been interesting to see how people build their decks. Since the Gods/Heroes might not last long on the battlefield and have no chance to return, some have concentrated on building around their General like normal. Others have built around their God/Hero so they can get the most out of them while they are in play.

It has also been interesting to see how people use the same God in different games. Like my nephew used Heliod, God of the Sun with Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Odric, Master Tactician, and Elspeth, Sun's Champion. But when it was my time to use Heliod, I went with Brimaz, King of Oreskos, Kemba, Kha Regent, and Ajani, Caller of the Pride.

So if anyone is interested in changing things up a little, there you go. Which God would you favor?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Battle of the Gods
AgePosted: 2014-Jul-06 6:47 am 

Seems interesting, but two things I am scratching my head about.

First, the exception for a Planeswalker seems random and odd.

Second, limiting commander damage to the hero, and removing his ability to ever return, seems to remove commander damage as a factor. Do people when playing this variant try to one shot opponents with commander damage? Does your group run removal light enough that a hero might survive multiple turns of attacking to get there?

In the past, we played a variant similar to this, no mythics were allowed in the decks, and you had your commander and then what we called our subordinate, which was a planeswalker. Since you represent a planeswalker, and in commander, you have a special follower (your commander) that serves you very closely, it seemed flavorful to add the subordinate planeswalker. He worked just like a commander in every way, except you could only cast him if your commander was in play. I know this is a different variant, but it seems similar enough to yours you might draw some inspiration.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Battle of the Gods
AgePosted: 2014-Jul-06 4:14 pm 

Buthrakaur wrote:
Seems interesting, but two things I am scratching my head about.

First, the exception for a Planeswalker seems random and odd.

Well the inevitable "I want to use my Planeswalkers" came up. Originally, it was suggested to have a single one also start in the Command Zone, but I thought it was too much. So everyone agreed to allow one in a deck.

Quote:
Second, limiting commander damage to the hero, and removing his ability to ever return, seems to remove commander damage as a factor. Do people when playing this variant try to one shot opponents with commander damage? Does your group run removal light enough that a hero might survive multiple turns of attacking to get there?

So far it has been interesting. Yes, most of us are pretty casual and no they usually don't run enough removal. I like to run lots of spot removal, but they would rather have "cool stuff." Otherwise, if they build on a strategy to get the Commander damage win, yeah it becomes an attempt at one shot, or heavy protection, Darksteel Plate, Lightning Greaves, etc or evasion. While playing Athreos, I was able to have Obzedat in for 20 on two different players, but both died before I needed to finish them off. So, Commander damage (or ours changed to Hero damage) not entirely negated. Of course, I was blinking Obzedat out and had a Grand Abolisher on the field that no one was smart enough to remove.

Quote:
In the past, we played a variant similar to this, no mythics were allowed in the decks, and you had your commander and then what we called our subordinate, which was a planeswalker. Since you represent a planeswalker, and in commander, you have a special follower (your commander) that serves you very closely, it seemed flavorful to add the subordinate planeswalker. He worked just like a commander in every way, except you could only cast him if your commander was in play. I know this is a different variant, but it seems similar enough to yours you might draw some inspiration.

I like that idea. I think our little variant has run its course in our group. I'll have to try this at some point.

Offline Profile