Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:27 am

Post subject: Secret Commanders
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-06 3:57 pm 

So I've got a coworker that we've converted to MtG and Commander from Yugioh, and he had a really cool idea the other day...

What if your Commander starts face down?

Having secret commanders requires some set up from the group... ideally each player has each of the decks sleeved the same way (so no one guesses it's Kaervek from the red sleeves, for example... even though it's always Kaervek :) ). It also works better in groups that build new decks at a fairly brisk clip (again, if you play against some toolbag who always plays Kaervek, there's no mystery...)

I haven't had a ton of time to experiment with it too much, but I'm super excited about it!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Secret Commanders
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-07 2:11 am 

That would probably work best for a special event with your playgroup. Everybody brings new decks, secret commanders, no "search target opponent's library" effects. Could be pretty cool.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-21 2:39 am 

So, you've already committed a terrible sin by converting a much superior card game to be compatible with an unwanted orphan child thing, but I kind of like the idea o a secret commander. Problem is, usually after 2 games, everyone knows who your commander is. You can't really effectively whatever change a commander and still have the deck work sometimes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-05 11:17 am 

Eboksba wrote:
So, you've already committed a terrible sin by converting a much superior card game to be compatible with an unwanted orphan child thing, but I kind of like the idea o a secret commander. Problem is, usually after 2 games, everyone knows who your commander is. You can't really effectively whatever change a commander and still have the deck work sometimes.

just have 10 or so edh decks

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-05 4:18 pm 

JJackson wrote:
That would probably work best for a special event with your playgroup. Everybody brings new decks, secret commanders, no "search target opponent's library" effects. Could be pretty cool.

Not even sure you would need to ban "search target player's library" cards, since most are expensive enough that you'd already know all the commanders by the time it's activated. Also, I'd imagine certain commanders would be difficult to detect (for example, I would say an Arcum, Thada, and Memnarch deck would all be relatively difficult to differentiate from each other.

Although some individual cards may need to be banned. Surgical Extraction comes to mind.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-06 1:06 am 

Getting rid of searching other players' libraries is more about keeping the general aura of secrecy rather than specifically the secrecy of the generals. It wouldn't be a huge issue not to do that, but I'm just thinking about one guy in my group who really hates it when he has a brand new deck and somebody hits him with Bribery on turn 4 or 5.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-06 6:23 am 

JJackson wrote:
I'm just thinking about one guy in my group EVERYONE who really hates it when he has a brand new deck andsomebody hits him with Bribery on turn 4 or 5.

FTFY.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-06 6:54 am 

It goes beyond the "Shit, a turn 4 9-drop!" reaction. He specifically hates having his secrets being laid bare so ingloriously.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-04 9:42 pm 

actually, i just hate the search another player's library effects just 'cuz it ALWAYS takes so freakin' long to resolve. the guy obviously wants to read every single card, even the ones that are obviously not that impactful. To make things worse, i'd wanna just ask 'what do u wanna remove, i can list the best creature, best sorcery, just do it quickly, cuz i dont have weeks to play this game', but obviously, that'd be in bad taste.

on the secret commanders, it sounds like a cool idea. thing is, most my decks have more than 1 creature that can be general. to that extent, one could shuffle up all the possible commanders, and then secretly put one down before the game starts so even you wouldn't be able to tell which one it is!

Offline Profile