Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:48 am

Post subject: Peasant Commander
AgePosted: 2014-Dec-04 1:56 am 

We're playing a peasant variation at work with the following restrictions:

- General must be an Uncommon that has appeared at no other rarity than uncommon, can be non-legendary
- Outside of your general, you can include up to 10 uncommons (no rares or mythics).
- Always count the lowest printed rarity (Loxodon Warhammer is an uncommon etc.)
- There's a banned list:

My deck is based on RUG value. I want the maximum number of cards to give me as much value as possible. Games are longer, grindier and with less blowout potential than normal Commander games so every little helps. Here's what I'm running

Commander: Bear's Companion

Creatures
Bouncers to re-use ETB triggers
Dreamstalker
Shrieking Drake
Ninja of the Deep Hours
Man-o'-War
Wirewood Symbiote
Horned Kavu

CIP Triggers:
Mulldrifter
Omenspeaker
Mad prophet
Stingscourger
Pilgrim's Eye
Wood Elves
Mold Shambler
Masked Admirers
Fierce Empath
Farhaven Elf
Eternal Witness
Citanul Woodreaders
Bloodbraid Elf
Coiling Oracle

Other useful stuff
Crocanura
Wirewood Herald
Wildheart Invoker
Squallmonger
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Yavimaya Elder
Generator Servant

Fat:
Thundering Tanadon
Pelakka Wurm
Krosan Tusker
Ulamog's Crusher

Spells
Bounce
Boomerang
Snap
Voyage's End
Capsize
Jilt

Draw
Treasure Cruise
Faithless Looting

Destroy/Burn/Kill
Disintegrate
Flame Slash
Incinerate
Lightning Bolt
Rolling Thunder
Savage Punch
Prey Upon
Pit Fight

Ramp
Kodama's Reach
Rampant Growth

Other:
Reclaim Regrowth & all are uncommon & I'm tight on UNcommon slots)

Enchantments
Rancor
Snake Umbra
Lignify
Arachnus Web
Rhystic Study
Pyrohemia
Fires of Yavimaya

Artifact
Armillary Sphere
Commander's Sphere
Crystal Shard
Loxodon Warhammer
Wayfarer's Bauble
Whispersilk Cloak

Land
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Gruul Guildgate
Izzet Guildgate
Rugged Highlands
Simic Guildgate
Swiftwater Cliffs
Terramorphic Expanse
Thornwood Falls
Bant Panorama
Grixis Panorama
Naya Panorama
Jund Panorama
Forest 12
Island 6
Mountain 6

That's my deck by type/function. Playing it feels fine enough but I have a nagging feeling that there's more that can be done or I'm missing obvious stuff.

There's also the issue of not having included 4 really strong uncommons:
Flametongue Kavu
Skullclamp
Sylvain Library
Shardless Agent

For reference, these are my non-Commander uncommons:

I think Symbiote may be just too cute given that it's not an Elf deck, just help ramping or cascading with BBE. And it's possible that Pyrohemia & Squallmonger are just trying to be too cute though the first saves me from the Elfball & Boros Decks in my group and the second can gain me a boatload of life with the Warhammer. Maybe I'm trying too much with these, especially the Squallmonger. The big deck in the group is the Centaur Battlemaster Heroic / Elfball deck. Of the non included uncommons the Clamp & Library seem obvious inclusions and shardless agent wasn't banned as a general in the format for nothing so I'm wondering what to cut for them (has to be from the uncommons listed)

So I'd really appreciate your input on this and any suggestions for what I can add / cut to the maindeck. Maybe Fierce Empath, with so few targets, can go. What could be added instead? Is there too much mana fixing? (I don't think so with both Disintegrate & Rolling Thunder)

Thank you!

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Peasant Commander
AgePosted: 2014-Dec-05 5:40 pm 

I think the Squallmonger should be cut for Sylvan Library. Two card combos (with Loxodon Warhammer) that do not include your general are hard to get together unless you have a ton of tutors/card draw. Also hitting only flyers might be good for you or bad, it doesn't seem that you run many yourself so it could keep the nasty Fae in check. Maybe cut Pyrohemia?

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-07 8:19 pm 

I've made that exact change, Squallmonger is gone. I've also cut Bloodbraid Elf for Skullclamp. It's a pretty hard cut to make and I'm still not sure it's the right one. As the deck becomes more controlling and mid-game, hitting early pressure off a BBE is less important that it would otherwise be.

I also need extra sweepers, the singleton Pyrohemia is not enough. The biggest issue is that red's damage sweepers are 1 damage at common and 2+ damage at uncommon so I'm looking to shave off another uncommon. From the games we've played it really needs to be a 2+ damage sweeper, especially against the Rebels deck so I'm looking to bring in Breath of Darigaaz as a flexible sweeper, cutting Fires of Yavimaya as my next least useful uncommon.

In addition I'm adding Swirling Sandstorm for the very disappointing Arachnus Web as a test. It being an early game blank is a big question-mark so I'll have to watch that carefully. I'm also adding Sparksmith for some much needed reusable spot removal.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-10 2:06 pm 

Do you have a lot of people trying to go wide (i.e. the rebels guy)?

It seems like some form of combo would be popular as it is for most forms of Peasant, but I guess you cannot reliably play storm in a singleton format.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-10 7:54 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Do you have a lot of people trying to go wide (i.e. the rebels guy)?

It seems like some form of combo would be popular as it is for most forms of Peasant, but I guess you cannot reliably play storm in a singleton format.

Yeah, it's very often a case of who gets the quality evasion guys onto the table first. The sweepers I've added have all helped and bouncing Bear's Companion repeatedly for more bears has yielded a couple of wins, especially if I resolve Pyrohemia. 4 toughness is the sweet spot as there's very few sweepers that go above three and no-one else is playing red sweepers (even the Boros guy)

I'm really enjoying the format, it's a great change of pace from regular EDH. I have ideas for a UW unblockables (Empyrial Armor was a common in weatherlight!) and a mono-B control with a possible Cabal Coffers/Exsanguinate finish.

What would you run as a combo deck?

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-10 8:21 pm 

I'm thinking Mardu/Dega with Spitemare/Mogg Maniac could be good as you are already planning on doing sweepers. Be a lot of synergy/good things to do against what I assume is a creature dominant field. Ponyback Brigade would probably be the general I chose. Murderous Redcap, Goblin Bombardment and a semi-goblin theme, I think it could be pretty good and fun to play with/against.

So I have a pauper/peasant EDH deck built but its Psychatog and it has not been fun the few times I have played it... I might have to build at Ponyback Brigade deck now...

Shabbaman wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-10 8:51 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I'm thinking Mardu/Dega with Spitemare/Mogg Maniac could be good as you are already planning on doing sweepers. Be a lot of synergy/good things to do against what I assume is a creature dominant field. Ponyback Brigade would probably be the general I chose. Murderous Redcap, Goblin Bombardment and a semi-goblin theme, I think it could be pretty good and fun to play with/against.

So I have a pauper/peasant EDH deck built but its Psychatog and it has not been fun the few times I have played it... I might have to build at Ponyback Brigade deck now...

Ponyback is a common so I couldn't use it with the rules we currently enforce. It'd be Mardu Roughrider or Transguild Courier.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-10 8:59 pm 

Transguild Courier might be the ticket if you are wanting to go combo as then you have all colors... he's just not interesting.

They would make you use an uncommon as general? I guess if everybody doesn't care, I think Ponyback Brigade is better than Mardu Roughrider in a lot of ways, and it opens up another uncommon slot.

Shabbaman wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-12 1:28 am 

Due to lack of interest in a pure Pauper or pure Peasant, our playgroup has morphed these decks into General (can be mythic) + 5 rares (no mythics). This is actually pretty cool for Riku because I get up upgrade a swathe of commons into uncommons and add a couple of rares. I want to keep the style of the deck but change the power-level. The 5-second changes I've made so far :
bumped Bear's Companion to main added Riku as general
Added Solemn Sim, Conjurers Cabinet, Kessig Wolf-Run, Yasova & Surrak #1

Not happy with the 2 legends and will replace Surrak with DEN. What's your take on Yasova & Wolf-Run?

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile