Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 1:43 am

Post subject: Re: "star" multiplayer
AgePosted: 2009-Sep-08 10:32 am 

DAAAN wrote:
I have a question about Star/Pentagram. Can a mindslaver force you to attack an ally?

Only if attacking your ally is a legal decision you could have made without the Mindslaver. Rules on this seem to vary from group to group.

Wort, Boggart Auntie (Goblin shenanigans)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-08 2:21 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

You have no allies or teammates in pentagram magic... only opponents and non-opponents. You can only declare attacks against an opponent, so you can't attack a non-opponent ("ally"). Mindslaver can't force you to make an illegal play[CR710.4], and it must be legal from YOUR perspective, not the slaver's. So Mindslaver can not make you attack a non-opponent.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-09 7:48 am 

ok how about a shards pentagram, using each of the 5 alara shards, where each player is a different shard.

this way you can have them sat in a formation where the shards each "bleed" into each other.

Grixis-Jund-Naya-Bant-Esper

i reckon that could make for a funky game.

thoughts on this...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-13 7:06 am 

"You have no allies or teammates in pentagram magic... only opponents and non-opponents. You can only declare attacks against an opponent, so you can't attack a non-opponent ("ally")."

I thought we didn't have allies though?

Shard pentagram seems interesting, with players getting a random shard each game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-13 12:54 pm 

X50isdafutureX wrote:
"You have no allies or teammates in pentagram magic... only opponents and non-opponents. You can only declare attacks against an opponent, so you can't attack a non-opponent ("ally")."

I thought we didn't have allies though?

Shard pentagram seems interesting, with players getting a random shard each game.

exactly your just given a number 1-5 then you sit in your seat and you have 5 minutes to look through your deck and work out how it plays then get your game on so to speak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Nov-29 10:34 am 

We play pentagram every time we play socially. Originally, we even played star, with colour focused decks, but it just boiled down to who got their colour hosers quickest. I suspect the same would occur in a shard based game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-29 10:30 pm 

There was a version of Star magic printed in the Duelist (Issue 4 I think, I'm researching to be sure and to find the exact rules as they were printed in the magazine). One of the best features I remember from those rules, that I think would lend itself well to casual EDH, was blocking "en passant." (1)

The idea was that if the player sitting in the W position wants to attack B, his creatures must move through U's territory to do so. So U had the ability to block first, any creatures not blocked went through to B, who then chose blockers. Combat step was then finished simultaneously.

Where this got intersting in the games I remember, was that since W and B are both U allies, politically he has a hard choice to block (help B, make W mad) or not block (Help W, make B mad).

Also, IIRC, the winner was the person to kill both enemies (not just have 2 enemies dead). For example. B and G are dead. If W kills R - W wins (though U would also have 2 dead enemy colors). Lastly (I can't recall if this was a house rule when I played in Detroit, or if it was printed in the Duelist as well) when we played, if (using my earlier example) R killed himself or died to drawing an empty library or in any way wasn't killed by W or U, then the former allies turned on each other for the final win. Ignoring all of this shortens games and we rarely played it out.

I imagine this would work in EDH with true star (monocolored, sitting the correct positions) Allied Colors, Enemy colors, Shards, Wedges or just any five decks sitting random/assigned locations.

Mostly I just think the "En Passant" rule would make a lively addition to the political nature of EDH.

V/R

HK

1: En Passant is a chess move that was borrowed for the rules printed in the Duelist. Learn more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-30 1:14 am 

by definition of the rules, everyone wins if you kill the board with one spell?

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-30 7:03 am 

Kirby wrote:

Yes. A giant earthquake kills everyone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-30 7:12 am 

Sounds like a fun variant of EDH to try some time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-30 8:09 am 

We have played this a few times with the Commander pre-con decks. It works out pretty well that way. We did have a rules debate over whether you can win if you're already dead (i.e., if you died first, but then your two enemies are the first pair of enemies to die).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-30 5:58 pm 

Kirby wrote:

That's why I mentioned the person who makes the killing stroke wins. So, yes a 40 point earthquake would be a game winning move, more reason for the enemies to work to prevent it (and the allies wouldn't like it much either).

pookel wrote:
We have played this a few times with the Commander pre-con decks. It works out pretty well that way. We did have a rules debate over whether you can win if you're already dead (i.e., if you died first, but then your two enemies are the first pair of enemies to die).

In every game I played, once you died you can't win, because part of the victory condition was killing your enemy. If you didn't deal the lethal (whether or not both of your enemies are dead) you didn't win. If you are already dead, then I don't think you dealt the lethal (aside from a mutual destruction, dying as you kill the enemy. I would guess playgroups would decide then if that's considered a victory.

V?R

HK

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-03 10:40 am 

Treamayne wrote:
There was a version of Star magic printed in the Duelist (Issue 4 I think, I'm researching to be sure and to find the exact rules as they were printed in the magazine). One of the best features I remember from those rules, that I think would lend itself well to casual EDH, was blocking "en passant." (1)

The idea was that if the player sitting in the W position wants to attack B, his creatures must move through U's territory to do so. So U had the ability to block first, any creatures not blocked went through to B, who then chose blockers. Combat step was then finished simultaneously.

Where this got intersting in the games I remember, was that since W and B are both U allies, politically he has a hard choice to block (help B, make W mad) or not block (Help W, make B mad).

Also, IIRC, the winner was the person to kill both enemies (not just have 2 enemies dead). For example. B and G are dead. If W kills R - W wins (though U would also have 2 dead enemy colors). Lastly (I can't recall if this was a house rule when I played in Detroit, or if it was printed in the Duelist as well) when we played, if (using my earlier example) R killed himself or died to drawing an empty library or in any way wasn't killed by W or U, then the former allies turned on each other for the final win. Ignoring all of this shortens games and we rarely played it out.

I imagine this would work in EDH with true star (monocolored, sitting the correct positions) Allied Colors, Enemy colors, Shards, Wedges or just any five decks sitting random/assigned locations.

Mostly I just think the "En Passant" rule would make a lively addition to the political nature of EDH.

V/R

HK

1: En Passant is a chess move that was borrowed for the rules printed in the Duelist. Learn more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant

We actually use this over here. Simply, the players to your sides may block creatures that you send to your opponents if you would have to "pass" through them. It certainly adds new dimensions to the game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-14 9:19 am 

Is auto-wins still accepted in this format?

Example: Felidar Sovereign?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-18 1:00 am 

Chrastion wrote:
Is auto-wins still accepted in this format?

Example: Felidar Sovereign?

My groups tend to avoid those cards as they are rather non-interactive and don't rely on other players actions to achieve, but they would work as normal.

Offline Profile