Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-23 4:31 am

Post subject: "star" multiplayer
AgePosted: 2007-Sep-06 2:44 am 

We have played EDH in the Star format

(it is based on 5 color star multiplayer format, except the color restrictions don't apply)

PROS: it takes WAAY quicker than regular EDH
CONS: You must be 5 players.

the 2 players on your sides are your "allies" (not team-mates) while the other 2 are your opponents (legal for target opponent spells)

A player wins when both his opponents are killed. (it is possible for 2 players to win)

The strategy involved is quite complex.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Sep-06 10:59 am 

Also known as Pentagram, which is played regularly in the Sentry Box league.

An even MORE fun twist, would be with 10 players - EDH Pentagram 2HG, which I believe we've only done ONCE! with great success (and many borrowed decks.)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Oct-04 1:21 pm 

we usually play star when we are draffting because there happens to be five of us almost all the time, although it does seem like a good idea for EDH,

No longer playing Dakkon, but will again in the future

Current Decks
SkullBriar
Sen Triplets (under Development)
Rikuu of two reflections

Offline Profile  

Post subject: 2HG Pentagram
AgePosted: 2007-Oct-05 1:30 pm 

We have a goal to play 2HG Pentagram with all 10 of the Invasion and Planar Chaos dragons. I think between us we've got all the decks except Dagizaar and Crosis, but there's hundreds of URB decks for Crosis to slot into and GRB isn't too short either.

Then the black dragons (Crosis and Teneb) make one team, Dromar and Intet another, and so on.

We've not been beyond 7-8 players recently though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Oct-05 1:55 pm 

For the 80th time, Simon, it's not Dagizaar, it's Darigaaz, the Igniter. BGR.

I'm still waiting on my box of Lorwyn to finish off my Dromar deck.

I wish Trogdor was a dragon in Magic :?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: penta allies
AgePosted: 2007-Nov-20 3:44 am 

What helps in pentagram games is
when your ally dies, you get damage, this can cause chain reactions, but helps your opponent to give him a reason to help you...

in 20 life games we assign 5 damage to allies when an ally dies.

i suspect in edh 10 would be enough

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-11 4:25 pm 

Quick rules question for pentagram format.

I know you cannot target your allies with a target opponent spell....

But, can you attack your allies even though they are not considered opponents?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-11 4:56 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Oooh, Pentagram thread :) [Forum oldtimers know I'm a huge fan].

In my experience, Star and Pentagram refer to nominally different formats (and different nomenclature can be useful). As the original poster indicated, Star is usually used to indicate games where a player's position is dictated by the colour of his or her deck (originally mono-colour decks, but I think an Invasion-Dragons game would meet the same criteria and would be better called Star). Pentagram should (IMO) be used for any game with five players (teams? entities?), and exactly two opponents per player, that isn't seated by colour.

Either way, I absolutely agree that Pentagram speeds up a five player game... while simultaneously feeling more than 1-on-1 magic. Less politics, more "kill the bad guy".. only, with more complexity.

kube wrote:
But, can you attack your allies even though they are not considered opponents?

Nope:

Code:
CR 308.2a. The active player chooses which creatures that he or she controls, if any, will attack.  [...] For each of the chosen creatures, the active player chooses an [b]opponent[/b] or a planeswalker controlled by an opponent for that creature to attack.

That said, you can still fireball them out of the game if they're causing you problems :)

An additional rule I often encourage is a system of "tiebreakers" in the case of two or more people winning simultaneously. This introduces an additional element of strategy. 1 tiebreaker point for each opponent you eliminate works well... no two winners can end up with the same number of points. (Killing yourself shouldn't be counted as a win though.. Hurricane for 40 shouldn't be rewarded :P)

PS:One day I WILL get a 5-team Emperor-Pentagram EDH game going! It will be the greatest thing EVAR!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-11 5:09 pm 

Genomancer wrote:
PS:One day I WILL get a 5-team Emperor-Pentagram EDH game going! It will be the greatest thing EVAR!
Four headed hydragram emperor.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jun-12 10:19 pm 

This format is cool until a leg or two falls out and the alliances become muddiled because of possible draw scenerios. Then I wish I had been playing free for all or assasin or attack left only or something.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-29 1:36 pm 

Philatio wrote:
This format is cool until a leg or two falls out and the alliances become muddiled because of possible draw scenerios.

In that case, we've just ruled it so that whoever dealt the last damage is the winner which leads to less draws, and less situations where the game seems to stall out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-31 8:22 am 

One of my favorite variations on this, is called "Spokes" (like spokes on a wheel), You need 6 players, and you are teamed up with the player opposite you.

The fun thing is you can't see your partners hand. It's a little bit different than normal pentacle or other teams formats.

-Mark Rosewater

Offline Profile  

Post subject: What about a Championship?
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-22 3:20 am 

In our group we have adopted a "league table" of sorts while playing the Star Format.
So, after every game we record the points every player gets and keep them in a database in order to make a league table of player points.
Our rules are:
1. We use EDH decks, with different Generals per player,
2. Table position is not fixed, but changes at every game. The positioning of the players is determined by a dice roll, in a "highest to lowest clockwise" order. Thus, we do not have the same adversaries every game, and the random choice of allies and opponents gives an extra twitch to the game,
3. No proxy cards are allowed, so purely what we have in our collections,
4. EDH Decks (Generals included) may change per game (usually it takes us about 3 hours for a single game, so we play on average 1 game every time we manage to get together).

So far, we have played four games, and our generals are: Vorosh the Hunter, Intet the Dreamer, Merieke Ri Berit, Horde of Notions and Rafiq of the Many.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re:
AgePosted: 2009-Aug-29 10:17 pm 

Genomancer wrote:
An additional rule I often encourage is a system of "tiebreakers" in the case of two or more people winning simultaneously. This introduces an additional element of strategy. 1 tiebreaker point for each opponent you eliminate works well... no two winners can end up with the same number of points. (Killing yourself shouldn't be counted as a win though.. Hurricane for 40 shouldn't be rewarded :P)

That's great...the last time we played Star/Pentagram, I had a choice between killing my opponent and getting a draw with my partner, or waiting til I drew a spell to kill him with, while locking down everyone else's board. Yes, i got a clean win, but the end stage was a bit of a drag. My own fault for being selfish, perhaps, but having a system that can deal with selfish players is important!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "star" multiplayer
AgePosted: 2009-Sep-08 10:03 am 

I have a question about Star/Pentagram. Can a mindslaver force you to attack an ally?

Big Mac and Pickles (Angus Mackenzie Control inc. Pickles Lock)|Sharuum (Artifact Combo)|Garza Zol (Vampires+Goodstuff); Sedris (I can steal anything); Nicol Bolas (WIP)|Kresh (Jund Good Stuff);Karrthus (Dragon Tokens Everywhere)|Tamanoa (Earthquakes Galore)
Wedges:
Oros (Life gaining Pings)|Riku's Perfect Snowstorm (Variety of Storms+Snow)|Doran the Explorer (Wall Tribal)|Ruhan (Voltron);Zedruu (Enchantments)
5C:
Scion (Dragon Stompy Midrange)

Offline Profile