Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 1:30 am

Post subject: New Idea: Two headed single commander giant.
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-18 8:47 am 

Ok so basically it is two headed giant commander except two players share a commander and split the colour identity of the commander.

For example Mina and Denn, Wildborn each teammate would make a deck of 100 cards. One teammate would make 100 card deck using only monocoloured green, red green cards and basic lands that could produce only green mana or colourless mana. The other teammate would make a deck using only monocoloured red, red green cards and basic land cards that could only produce red mana or colourless mana. Players can run mana none basic lands that can produce any colour if they want.

To cast a multicoloured spell the other teammate with the appropriate mana can help pay for the mana cost if needed. To cast the commander each teammate would have to pay half the required cost but both halves would have to equal to the whole. Also the commander's abilities would be shared and counts as existing as one entity for both players.They both need to agree to attack with the commander and split the cost of abilities as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New Idea: Two headed single commander giant.
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-28 10:28 pm 

A bit of an oversight i see with this initially is odd costed commanders as they cannot be halved, neither can abilities. Plus any deck playing green would have lots of ramp and out-pace the slower colours and this could make it rather uneven. The other issue, what about mono generals? Tri, 4 and 5 colour generals? How are those split?

I enjoy alternate variations on the format so please don't think i am downing your idea. I just noticed these points and thought them useful to post

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-29 6:42 am 

maiden77 wrote:
A bit of an oversight i see with this initially is odd costed commanders as they cannot be halved, neither can abilities. Plus any deck playing green would have lots of ramp and out-pace the slower colours and this could make it rather uneven. The other issue, what about mono generals? Tri, 4 and 5 colour generals? How are those split?

I enjoy alternate variations on the format so please don't think i am downing your idea. I just noticed these points and thought them useful to post

The split is rounded up. So for a tri and five coloured generals the middle colour would be shared. The colour identity would be read from left to right with mana symbols on the cards' costs. Spells a player casts are not shared. So cultivate only effects one player. The commander is shared for both players when it's out and to get it out both players need to pay half the cost corresponding to the card. Mono coloured decks would split the colour giving both players the same colour.

1 divided by 2 is 0.5 rounded up is 1.

Obzedat, Ghost Council Would have one player mono white and one mono black.

Zedruu the Greathearted Would have one player red white and the other player white blue.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 4:34 am 

Bull wrote:
The colour identity would be read from left to right with mana symbols on the cards' costs.

That seems unnecessarily restrictive. What is gained by forcing the Zedruu players into Red/White and White/Blue instead of letting them go Red/Blue and Red/White for example?

It is weird that some commanders with the same colors result in different color restrictions for the decks. Without looking, can you tell me what colors the players' decks for The Mimeoplasm would be? Sidisi, Brood Tyrant?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 12:37 pm 

JJackson wrote:
Bull wrote:
The colour identity would be read from left to right with mana symbols on the cards' costs.

That seems unnecessarily restrictive. What is gained by forcing the Zedruu players into Red/White and White/Blue instead of letting them go Red/Blue and Red/White for example?

It is weird that some commanders with the same colors result in different color restrictions for the decks. Without looking, can you tell me what colors the players' decks for The Mimeoplasm would be? Sidisi, Brood Tyrant?

Well I think I said earlier that you can run cards that have your colours + your partners' colours. That way you partner can help pay for it. So For example in a Child of alara deck both you and your partner can run five coloured cards however, since one colour identity is esper and the other is jund you will need to have the needed mana symbols from non basic lands like city of brass or your partner can help pay for the missing mana symbols. Note that you ally can't help to increase the cost of mana with an X cost.

Essentially the colour Identity limits some spells and basic lands you can run. Multi coloured cards need to contain all of the colours of the casters' colour identity plus the some colours of your partner if needed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-31 12:12 am 

Bull wrote:
Essentially the colour Identity limits some spells and basic lands you can run. Multi coloured cards need to contain all of the colours of the casters' colour identity plus the some colours of your partner if needed.

Right, but I'm asking why lock in specific pairs of colors. Under the rule as you've described it, a The Mimeoplasm team is locked into a green/blue and a blue/black deck. Why not let them build green/black and black/blue if they want? Or green/blue and green/black?

The order of the symbols on the card just seems like a really arbitrary thing to care about. It also doesn't work for legends like Tasigur that have some of their color identity from mana symbols in the text box.

And the last side effect of it is making enemy colored 2-color cards impossible to include for most 3-color commanders. Zurgo Helmsmasher is the only 3-color commander that can use Warleader's Helix for example.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-07 12:09 pm 

JJackson wrote:
Bull wrote:

Right, but I'm asking why lock in specific pairs of colors. Under the rule as you've described it, a The Mimeoplasm team is locked into a green/blue and a blue/black deck. Why not let them build green/black and black/blue if they want? Or green/blue and green/black?

The order of the symbols on the card just seems like a really arbitrary thing to care about. It also doesn't work for legends like Tasigur that have some of their color identity from mana symbols in the text box.

And the last side effect of it is making enemy colored 2-color cards impossible to include for most 3-color commanders. Zurgo Helmsmasher is the only 3-color commander that can use Warleader's Helix for example.

I guess they can declare a shared colour they have in common for a 3 coloured commander but overall the point of this format is to split the commander among to players and have them work in sync to be more effective. You should not be able to run everything in the colours your commander is if it's not mono coloured and your basic lands are limit by your colour identity too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-30 11:17 pm 

I like your idea about Mina and Denn

Offline Profile