Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-21 7:12 pm

Post subject: Hybrid Tribal
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 5:10 am 

We have an event we are going to try in a few weeks...

Rules for EDH of MN Hybrid-Tribal Event
1. Commander must be of a minimum two creature types.
2. Creatures in the deck must share at least one creature type of the commander and cannot be one of the banned tribes.
Example: Commander is a Vampire Zombie – you may have Vampires, Zombies, and Vampire Zombies in the deck. (Minotaur Zombie would be a valid creature in that deck)
3. Minimum creature count is 34 including your commander.(Attempt a balance of tribes)
4. Non-tribal cards that put tokens into play must follow the tribe. Example, if you are running Vampire Ally tribal you could not play a card that put spirit tokens into play, but if a Vampire put bat tokens into play that would be acceptable. Cards that put multiple tokens into play that are of different types are allowable as long as the deck is one of those types.
5. When an Instant, Sorcery, or Enchantment refers to tribal affiliation it can only be used in the corresponding tribe. Example Bitterblossom, Tribal Enchantment – Faerie, this card can only be played in a Faerie tribal deck.
6. These will be multiplayer games 4+ players.
7. Mulligan – Partial Paris first one is free, then one less each time after.
8. Standard multiplayer EDH ban list.
9. Banned Tribes/Creature types:
• Elves
• Wizards
• Goblins
• Slivers
• Shapeshifters

10. Additional banned cards:
• Alpha Status
• An-Zerrin Ruins
• Belbe's Portal
• Call to the Kindred
• Circle of Solace
• Coat of Arms
• Cover of Darkness
• Descendants' Path
• Door of Destinies
• Endemic Plague
• Engineered Plague
• Extinction
• Obelisk of Urd
• Outbreak
• Peer Pressure
• Riders of Gavony
• Shared Animosity
• Shared Triumph
• Steely Resolve
• Tribal Unity
• Tsabo's Decree
• Urza's Incubator

http://edhofmn.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hybrid Tribal
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 5:28 am 

Why are you banning all these individual cards? Most of them are completely fair. Many of them are just bad. Plus, banning all tribal cards in a tribal format is not a good way to make people have fun.

Also, the function of the banned tribes list is not clear. Am I not allowed to play Grim Lavamancer in my Norin the Wary deck? Or is this just not allowed to be the "main" tribe for a deck?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 5:32 am 

1. The banned cards were to encourage creative deck building, which it has. Most of the people that are attending like the challenge of the rules.

2. Your statement is correct Grim Lavamancer would not be allow (wizard). Why, see reply to first question.

http://edhofmn.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 5:36 am 

Willmsy wrote:
5. When an Instant, Sorcery, or Enchantment refers to tribal affiliation it can only be used in the corresponding tribe. Example Bitterblossom, Tribal Enchantment – Faerie, this card can only be played in a Faerie tribal deck.

Two criticisms here: you left out artifacts and it seems weird that I can't run Bitterblossom in a Gwendolyn rogue deck but I could run Notorious Throng.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 6:37 am 

Willmsy wrote:
2. Your statement is correct Grim Lavamancer would not be allow (wizard). Why, see reply to first question.
That's pretty savage. Between Wizard and Elf, green and blue get hit absurdly hard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 1:58 pm 

While not necessarily comparing the two entirely--or entirely complaining--I always find it funny how hated Slivers are, but Allies are always okay despite being known as "Super Slivers."
crokaycete wrote:
Willmsy wrote:
That's pretty savage. Between Wizard and Elf, green and blue get hit absurdly hard.

I have to agree with this. While there are still a number of options, Green and Blue are certainly hit the hardest here. I think something with Humans or Merfolk (particularly a brutal control deck with Sygg, River Cutthroat--tons of counters, bounce, steal, and finish everyone else off with powered up Merfolk).

Say, Willmsy, Callous Oppressor and Stoneforge Masterwork kind fit along some of the lines already drawn in your banned list. Distant Melody, Cavern of Souls, Conspiracy, Harsh Mercy, Mirrorweave, Standardize, and Xenograft seem also like they'd get banned, but your list is all over the place so I'm not sure how to judge why some of them were chosen.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 10:38 pm 

I've always called Allys 'crap slivers' why would they be called 'super slivers' when to me they seem to try to be a similar deck but do it poorly in terms of comparing power level with that of slivers? Look at the 5 colour Ally Tazri. Bit naf but good to allow a proper 5 colour Ally deck. That just wouldn't compete with a sliver deck championed by literally any of the sliver legends, unless i am missing something about allys?

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-31 12:08 am 

maiden77 wrote:
I've always called Allys 'crap slivers' why would they be called 'super slivers' when to me they seem to try to be a similar deck but do it poorly in terms of comparing power level with that of slivers? Look at the 5 colour Ally Tazri. Bit naf but good to allow a proper 5 colour Ally deck. That just wouldn't compete with a sliver deck championed by literally any of the sliver legends, unless i am missing something about allys?

Super Slivers was their code name--more or less--by Wizards in their initial design. Ally decks aren't as weak as you are playing them off to be, and Slivers in a casual setting are gerenally weaker (you've got to commit more Slivers to the board than Allies to present a real threat, making Slivers weaker to the most common form of removal in EDH--with the one exception of Sliver Hivelord, which is why I heavily suggest it to people playing serious EDH decks).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-31 4:38 pm 

You also need to ban soldiers, zombies, dragons, elementals, and humans.

I'd prefer no banned tribes, but arbitrarily banning some obvious tribes and not others seems silly.
Did you realize you banned red/blue?

I was wondering if you use tribes similar to color identity? Kaalia of the vast could be fun in this format.

Offline Profile