Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-23 4:47 am

Post subject: Ascendancy (Modern Commander)
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-26 9:25 am 

This format follows the official rules of the Commander (EDH) format. For more information please see the following link: http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

There are some changes that set Ascendancy apart from Commander, however. They are described below.

DECK CONSTRUCTION

Core sets and expansion sets from Eighth Edition and Mirrodin through today are legal in Ascendancy (in other words, Modern legal sets).
Additionally, the following supplemental sets are legal in Ascendancy:

– Magic: The Gathering—Commander
– Planechase 2012 Edition
– Commander 2013 Edition
– Magic: The Gathering—Conspiracy
– Commander 2014
– Commander 2015
– Conspiracy: Take the Crown
– Commander 2016 Edition

GAMEPLAY

1. Players begin the game with 30 life, rather than 40.
2. If a player has been dealt 18 points of combat damage (instead of 21) by a particular Commander during the game, that player loses a game.

BANNED CARDS

Sol Ring

PHILOSOPHY

Sup, Magic players! My name is Maluko, and I've been playing Commander for almost four years now.

During all this time, I've noticed plenty of misunderstandings among Commander fans who don't know each other very well. Some of them are looking for more competitive, hardcore games while others are looking to play more casual and interactive ones. The last type of players are the ones where misunderstandings are more common. This is because what defines games or decks as "casual" is subjective and differs a lot between players. As such, I have observed some hostile behavior in Commander games due to a lack of communication amidst what each player expects from their game.

To solve this problem, I wanted to design a new format for players who are sitting together at a table for the first time to play Commander. The main idea of this format is to remove all subjectivity between casual and competitive multiplayer Commander games and restrict the card pool in a way that both styles of gameplay are compatible with each other and players can interact in a positive way and have a good time.

That format is Ascendancy. Alternatively, you can call it Modern Commander.

This idea is not particularly new, as there has been other players trying to implement a similar format in stores and other facilities (see the following links for examples: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles ... commander/ ; http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the- ... vent-style). I'm only here to spread the word and promote the format so that players test it out, see if they like it or not and suggest ideas to improve it.

So far, the only card banned in Ascendancy is Sol Ring, since it has repeatedly been printed in the Commander series and is way too powerful and ubiquitous for what I intend the format to be. I don't want to preemptively ban other cards without having a feeling of how the format really plays out. That's what Wizards did when they first created Modern, and players criticized them heavily for it. If Ascendancy manages to stick around, then a larger ban list will be created with the purpose of having a diversified metagame for competitive players and while still allowing casual players to have a good time and not feel oppressed by broken combos and/or unfun cards. Until then, try and break the format as much as you want!

I hope you come to appreciate this format as a refreshing new approach to multiplayer. If you have any questions about Ascendancy, or just want to give some feedback, feel free to write me below :)

Hugs,
Maluko

Name: Night of the Ninja
General: Vela the Night-Clad
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Boros Legion
General: Aurelia, the Warleader
Archetype: Aggro

Name: Dragon Fire
General: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ascendancy (Modern Commander)
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-26 3:25 pm 

Maluko wrote:
Hugs,
Maluko
I've played against too many Phelddagrif decks to trust anyone offering me a hug for free.
Maluko wrote:
If you have any questions about Ascendancy, or just want to give some feedback, feel free to write me below
Okay, I'll bite: why 18 Commander damage? And why 30 life?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ascendancy (Modern Commander)
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-26 7:41 pm 

intreped wrote:
I've played against too many Phelddagrif decks to trust anyone offering me a hug for free.

Sorry about that, my hug was meant to be sincere :(

intreped wrote:
Okay, I'll bite: why 18 Commander damage? And why 30 life?

I'll start with the 30 life, since it's more complex:

1. To help aggressive decks. Competitive games are mostly filled with combo decks while casual games are mostly filled with control or midrange decks. Aggro decks (that actually win) are rare. I thought changing the starting life total to 30 would give these decks more advantage and help balance the aggro-control-combo strategic triangle.
2. To speed up games. Nothing wrong with classic EDH games that last two hours or more, but if this is to be made a competitive multiplayer format, with the possibility of running events and tournaments (like David Cox has been doing in Las Vegas), then I prefer games to end faster. This would also accelerate player turnover, in other words help players meet other different players at a faster rate.

I must also say that players have really embraced the change to a starting life total of 30 as positive.

The reasons for the change to 18 commander damage are the same as above. Instead of being based on the 7/7 stats of the elder dragons, since they are not legal in Ascendancy, I based that number on the primeval dragons' stats of 6/6. However, some players have been asking me if this change does make any difference in games, since its scale is smaller than the starting life total, because it's just one more thing to remember. I don't yet have data to back up their claims, but I could see it being reversed back to 21 in the future if it proves to not change games significantly.

Name: Night of the Ninja
General: Vela the Night-Clad
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Boros Legion
General: Aurelia, the Warleader
Archetype: Aggro

Name: Dragon Fire
General: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile