Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-21 5:37 am

Post subject: Re: One Land Deck and One spell deck
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-12 10:53 am 

I use the double deck variant when I'm teaching brand new players. That way they can get used to concepts like mana curve, color sequencing, etc..

The reason why this works so well in Hearthstone though is there is not color requirements for the mana gem. There is hardly any resource denail in the game, why would there be when resources come no matter what? So continually getting a mana resource each turn makes sense.

Magic on the other hand is about resource management. Curving out, getting around flood and screw.

The suggestion you're making is like the difference between Football, Rugby, and Soccer. All there have the same roots in how they developed, but all three have different rules that distinguish them.

And if you want to know what R&D think about such a format, just look at hte card Abundance.

They think altering the game to that state should be {2}{G}{G}, and be stoppable by all colors except red and black. = )

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-12 3:44 pm 

We both agree that when we're talking about a variant, it no longer is the same game. But if we take a game and change certain aspects of it, true it may no longer be what it was, but that doesn't mean what it becomes isn't equally as fun.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-12 6:48 pm 

Bruticus wrote:
We both agree that when we're talking about a variant, it no longer is the same game. But if we take a game and change certain aspects of it, true it may no longer be what it was, but that doesn't mean what it becomes isn't equally as fun.

A very valid point, but I do believe for this variation a few core changes to the game could very wildly alter how the game plays, and possibly require a completely different ban list philosophy.

At that point, you may be better off seeking a separate game. The World of Warcraft TCG does something VERY similar by having any card play face down as a resource.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-13 12:21 am 

moraff wrote:
The World of Warcraft TCG does something VERY similar by having any card play face down as a resource.

Is it still going? (new cards & such) -- I haven't played it in years now.

Bruticus: You may not believe Rosewater -- but I'd say in this case, the market has done a good job proving him mostly right.

Other game systems have tried different approaches -- from the WoW TCG, to Force Of Will, to The Spoils have all tried different "mana systems" in physical card form. As far as I know, Magic is incredibly more popular and those other card games only have a small following or are dead completely.

So there might just be something to what MaRo is saying on this subject.

Online is a different beast, as is the factor that it is free to play -- as that increases the # of people around to play the game, which helps keep it alive (Hearthstone, Eternal, Mtg: Arena, etc.)

Offline Profile