[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Bad Dreams Come True (Intet The Dreamer)

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 2:57 pm

Post subject: Bad Dreams Come True (Intet The Dreamer)
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-05 10:05 pm 

I heard about EDH from a friend about a year and 3 months ago. He figured I'd like it, as I had built a regular highlander deck for kicks, and I did like it. While trying to think of an interesting general, I saw a bottle of green Nyquil, and wondered what other colors Nyquil came in. Well, Red, Green and Blue. Are there any legends in those colors, I wondered?

Only one at the time, and ironically enough, he was Intet The Dreamer. The Nightime, Sniffling, Sneezing, Coughing, Aching, Stuffyhead, Fever, So-You-Can-Rest General. He was my first and is still my favorite, He's gone through a lot of changes (I originally tried to play every card that met the three colors, including the Ceta cards and Research and Development), and while he's evolved into a fairly bog standard Intet deck, but I am curious to hear what people think. With 100 cards, there is always room for variation.

Sorry for the big ugly list; I'd intended to have the whole thing behind a spoiler tag and then the thoughts for the cards behind other spoiler tags, but it won't let me nest them like that, and I already wrote up the rationales, so here it is anyway.

General

Top of Library Fun

Free Stuff

Mana

Spot Removal/Tuck

Sweepers

Beaters

Card Draw

More Is More

Grab

Defensive Equipment

Other

Lands

X5
X4
X3

There are plenty of cards I am considering adding (I'm a big fan of and ), but I want to hear what you guys think.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bad Dreams Come True (Intet The Dreamer)
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-06 2:31 pm 

If you're looking for more cards to fix the top card of your deck, is especially good, and or are definitely serviceable.

There are also better double attack step cards. , and get my vote as the most powerful, but I don't think anything less than those really cut the mustard here. I think you are far better off loading your deck with more cards like , which are far more powerful, and often comparable in mana cost.

Otherwise, I think it looks good. It's very similar to a pile of cards I have near my desk.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-07 11:37 am 

is another top of library fun card that is also an alternate winning condition :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-11 8:23 pm 

Thanks for the replies. Those are all cards I've considered, but I lack. Also, for some (possibly stupid) reason, I feel would get me the most mileage. They are all very unlikely to get blown up, intentionally or as part of a sweeper, they are cheap as heck, and while scales well in EDH with the large life total, Soothsaying scales with the ridiculous mana, but doesn't help if I draw something I want on top, and doesn't get me cards when I'm in trouble. I should probably just bite the bullet and get one, since the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it is.

Also, all the other red doubling cards are in my deck. :twisted: Still, you are probably correct that should just be a which is almost strictly better considering I have access to blue. But there's so little red in the deck already...

In the case of JtMS, I lack one due to an unwillingness to part company with sufficient dead presidents. (grumble grumble got banned and is still over 50 bucks grumble)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-10 12:14 pm 

OUT
OUT
OUT

IN
IN
IN

I have gone on record about , so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I also finally got a , which was the main reason why it wasn't in there. is something I've always been thinking about, so we'll see how it works. The three cards I pulled were all just strange choices or proven slightly weak.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-15 12:58 pm 

Updates for Innistrad:

/ / OUT
In

I have so many rainbow lands in this deck, that I almost never have trouble mana fixing. And the signets aren't as good as other cards would be, so I want to reduce the number of mana artifacts by a bit, and make them more effective. Also, I finally have one of these darn things.

OUT
OUT

IN
IN

I was so excited when I saw these. I don't know why, but solid mana help always makes me happy. I'm cutting Tendo not because I dislike it, but because I don't want to go too low on basics if at all possible. I debated taking out the basic sac lands (Terramorphic, Evolving) but I'm keeping them for now. I don't really want to spend the money on the better sac lands.

OUT
IN

I hate and its ilk. I know it's probably more balanced than the lands above, but I don't want balanced. It's serviceable outside of EDH, but this land is going to be a 90% of the time. There's a reason I'm not playing one of those; I'd rather have a basic land. The reason for adding is because with , I can now grab it and one of the Ravnica bouncelands, and that will put me at 10 mana next turn when I replay the bounced land to . I managed to do this, but only by grabbing to copy my opponent's Temple. Yes, there is a small chance it will backfire, but that's what mulligans are for.

OUT
IN

Multani's been on the cusp of being cut ever since he was put in. I think he replaced when I made the deck less about enhancing attackers, since Hexproof (I still prefer 'super shroud') wasn't crucial anymore. This guy is with trample and a boss ability when they do inevitably kill him. I have high hopes for him.

OUT
IN

Now THIS is a red wrath. This card was the one I was third most excited about, after the two new enemy color multilands.

OUT
IN

Yes, is better, but it is no fun. I actually intentionally lost a game instead of casting it, because I didn't see the point. is much more fun, is an instant, and will certainly surprise people when they are suddenly casting on every creature on the board. Mark my words; this is an instant speed red wrath.

IN

This is super in EDH. "But it doesn't blow up artifact creatures." The only artifact-creatures you were likely to want to blow up with are indestructible anyway, with the possible exception of . I always have trouble with planeswalkers and will gladly run this card just for them.

IN

I'm afraid that I might be overdoing the top-of-library stuff, but this one is nice because you can go digging deep for answers. You have no idea how often I've sat there with a , wishing it was anything else. At the same point, is super efficient if you can shuffle, so I'm not cutting it yet..

Last edited by Magnetic North on 2011-Nov-25 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-15 8:30 pm 

If you want good sweepers for your deck here are a few that I use in my own Intet deck (since is distasteful to me as well):

- : good if you have a few high CMC creatures; it's been incredibly useful as an asymmetrical wrath effect
- : another MVP in my Intet deck
- : remember it does not only bounce creatures but all types of permanents
- : very powerful as far as I'm concerned. Some decks will have a hard time recovering their general once it's been turned face-down.

Also, as far as spot removal is concerned, I'd replace Beast Within and Pongify with creatures such as and . They are expensive but awesome to flip with Intet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-15 9:57 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems is very popular. I'll have to buy up all the copies and corner the market...somehow. :twisted:

I should get my mitts on at least one of those two big green guys, but I don't think I'd replace the spot removal with them just yet, but rather some of the possibly excessive top of library. I'll probably decide on that after playing the new iteration a few times. Okay, I admit, I may slot in the for the . Also, it seems those guys are in every green EDH deck, so I'm always resistant to the overused. ( and its friends get a pass because I need them to punish players who use s in non- decks.)

I am hesitant to use only based on the fun factor. Whenever I resolved (which is the most similar thing I've ever used), it always got groans. Then again, it doesn't destroy people's lands or mana rocks, so it might go over better. I suppose that is a possibility, depending on just how many sweepers I really want to play. (Hint: The good ones, at least.)

I agree with you on the power of , but it's kinda barfy to me. If I'm significantly disadvantaged enough to use it, they'll still be hitting me for some damage (giving someone 1 3/3 isn't a big deal, but if they have X 2/2s, it has the possibility to be a big deal), and they won't bother holding back because they want to get their creatures blocked and killed so they can get them into the graveyard/command zone to get them back. And doesn't evade or trample or anything, so he's never getting through for anything significant, since they can just hold back one guy, probably their face down general who they want back. Also, since they get 2/2s, but he only gets +1/+1 per face down guy, then he's just going to get killed in combat unless no player controls more than 50% of the creatures. Overall, it seems that he would slow the tide, but not stop it. I could try and play or something to support it, but that kind of misses the point.

Maybe I'm off base when I say this, but I'd rather just have a for the same cost, since that's also useful when I have good board position, not just when I'm behind. Still, that is some good outside the box thinking.

I don't think fits the deck right now. I love that it's asymmetrical, but there are only 17 creatures in the deck as of right now. (Which itself might a bit of a problem.) I can't reliably have that. Maybe if I get 5 more big creatures in there, I'll thereby have enough to make it both more likely to play nice, and more likely that I will have big guys that I can't afford to sweep away.

Normally I'd say I don't like for the same reason I don't like (despite him being my three favorite magic colors); he bounces himself. As a 3 color deck, I'd only be missed against the off deck, and I really hate symmetry in this format, if I can avoid it. Then again, now that I say that, this deck doesn't have a lot of colored permanents in it that are crucial to keep in play. 15 creatures (if you don't count , which I am not, since it doesn't remain blue when in play) and . The same reasons I don't want to use might be reason enough to utilize .

I might have been grossly underestimating the value of . Thank you very much for that suggestion.

Also, one thing I was thinking of adding: . Could be a fun way to steal people's s, or just exile their s. Anyone have any thoughts on her? Maybe I just have a vastly irrational love of stealing people's crap from within their libraries. I was seriously considering putting in into the deck. (I still might one day.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-25 10:52 am 

Very boring update:

OUT
IN

I want to add , , and maybe and but I don't know what to remove for them (I also got an , but I think I like better). So I figured maybe I'd ask to see what you guys think are the weak links. My currently thoughts for the chopping block are:

(sometimes I would rather have something which does something on its own)
(I've never been able to play it :( )
(I still hate how symmetrical this is in EDH, but it's so powerful...)
: I like it because it gets me Ravnica Duels, but it doesn't 2-for-1 and that is the standard I try to keep to.
One of the Top of Library Manipulators (Sensei's Diviving Top, , , , ) and Tutors (, , , , Long Term Plans) perhaps devoting 1/6th of the deck's payload to manipulation is a bit much. (It's more if you count card draw like , and .)

So, what do you suggest?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-25 9:00 pm 

Do a lot of people play Top in your group? Because Krosan Grip kills top.

I would probably cut Lorescale Coatl. It's cute but not sure it's that great. I would imagine you'd be better off with Decimate over him.

I would play Thada Adel over Obliterate just because Obliterate is kinda annoying an hour in/ people hate it. Also you don't have anyway to really benefit from it (indestructible dudes etc). Maybe you want to replace it with a sweeper than doesn't kill everyone's land.

I would cut Simic Sky Swallower for Terrastodon or Woodfall Primus. A dumb beat with Shroud is kinda meh compared to blowing stuff up and a body.

Also you may want to cut Harmonize for . A sac outlet that leads to massive CA from your fatties is awesome. Plus you also have some steal so you can sac your opponents dudes too!

Also I've found Scroll Rack disappointing when its in a deck with Top and Ball. Sucky because they're a $10 card that's sitting in my binder. Have you considered ?

Last, since you know whats on top of your library, maybe you want to play for instant speed fat from the top of your libary!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-25 10:20 pm 

I like the deck.

I think you could take a look at a bit of graveyard hate.

I played alot more "off the top" cards , future sight ,Mul Daya Channelers, magus of the future. etc
Also you've got a fairly good permanent count so you could Mind's Desire :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-26 12:28 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-28 12:30 am 

Hi,

just to address some of the points mentioned in this deck:

- I have found it underwhelming. It is only good in the super late game where you actually might have the mana to fiddle with it.
- have you tried replacing this with one of the colorless sweepers since you hate blowing the lands up? should not be hard to pick up after it came out in Commander decks. Other alternatives: , . Also, has been SUPERB for me... I also use (also fun with ) for creatures.
- I don't see this ramp spell anywhere in your list, despite you running the ravnica duals. I believe it should be in.
Graveyard hate is not that necessary in this kind (manaramp) of deck in my experience, as it can go toe to toe with reanimation strategies, often keep them busy enough so that they don't have space to get their recursion engines going.
will be hard to get milleage from in your deck. You really don't run that many creatures.
is awesome in my opinion. Given my current version of Intet deck, it would be the very last library manipulation tool to cut.

Currently I am testing ... which means I cut almost everything that says "draw a card" from my list... not sure I like the change yet, because I absolutely love drawing cards, but it is an interesting direction to take with the list. People usually just blow up the machine right away :( .

Intet, the Dreamer RUG Manaramp a.k.a. the Lucid Dreamer

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-28 11:20 am 

Lurking Predators seems like a great option here. You're already messing about with the top of your library, and it's another way to get free stuff when Intet can't get through for damage. Plus, sometimes, it just makes people stop playing spells until someone draws an answer. It's like an uber-Standstill. I realize you are really low on creatures at the moment, but you seem to have enough tutor/manipulation to make it work fairly reliably.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-29 4:00 pm 

Offline Profile