Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-24 6:12 pm

Post subject: Normandy Mulligan
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-03 10:55 pm 

Since mulliganning in a 100-card is pretty boring, this is the way we go : We drqw the first 7 cards then choose any number of cards in hand, which we put on the bottom of the library. Then we draw that many cards.
This replaces the "free" mulligan," additionnal mulligan follow the 6-5-4... chain.

It allows having less expensive spells in hand so that the games are closer.

Kevin.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-04 8:17 am 

This was mentioned in another thread. I say the same thing here, seems REALLY overpowered.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-04 9:12 am 

iceage4life wrote:
This was mentioned in another thread. I say the same thing here, seems REALLY overpowered.

agreed

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-04 10:38 am 

Yeah, this just seems like it'll make combo decks busted. Part of the fun of EDH is that you only get one of each card. Being able to ship the "bad" one-ofs to the bottom seems dumb.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Normandy Mulligan
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-04 12:13 pm 

KevinD wrote:
We draw the first 7 cards then choose any number of cards in hand, which we put on the bottom of the library. Then we draw that many cards.
This replaces the "free" mulligan," additionnal mulligan follow the 6-5-4... chain.

Worst idea I've ever heard in terms of mulligans. Stop doing this immediately. The reason my playgroup does basically unlimited mulligans is because (a) we hate combo and nobody plays that shit and (b) nobody wants to get screwed over. Mulligans are not Read the Runes for X turn 0...even if your playgroup does obey (a) In terms of your rules, basically everyone mulligans every time, right? That's not MTG that's worse than goldfishing. Seriously just use unlimited mulligans for 0, 1, 6 or 7 land hands. Should work wonderfully.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2008-Jul-10 6:14 am 

warble wrote:
Worst idea I've ever heard in terms of mulligans. Stop doing this immediately. The reason my playgroup does basically unlimited mulligans is because (a) we hate combo and nobody plays that shit and (b) nobody wants to get screwed over. Mulligans are not Read the Runes for X turn 0...even if your playgroup does obey (a) In terms of your rules, basically everyone mulligans every time, right? That's not MTG that's worse than goldfishing. Seriously just use unlimited mulligans for 0, 1, 6 or 7 land hands. Should work wonderfully.

I agree it's a bad idea but I think he's doing it for convenience's sake. What you're proposing doesn't solve his problem of 4 people sitting there while 1 is still shuffling his deck. The best solution IMHO is to just skip that person's turn while he shuffles and just say he can drop a land and one drop but no attacking(sorry Uktabi Drake). In EDH, no one is gonna waste a card to kill a one drop on turn 1 or 2.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-11 12:41 am 

withered wayfarer?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2008-Jul-11 8:31 am 

warble wrote:
KevinD wrote:
We draw the first 7 cards then choose any number of cards in hand, which we put on the bottom of the library. Then we draw that many cards.

Unlimited mulligans also seems overpowered...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-11 9:23 am 

you might as well spend all that unlimited-mulling time to do some extra shuffling so your deck won't be too clumped

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2008-Jul-11 10:55 am 

iceage4life wrote:
warble wrote:
just use unlimited mulligans for 0, 1, 6 or 7 land hands. Should work wonderfully.

Unlimited mulligans also seems overpowered...

Not if everyone isn't playing combo and it's only when you have 0, 1, 6 or 7 lands in your opening hand. Obviously inapplicable to tournament environments where mulligans help equalize power levels and everyone loves combo. And yes, this is to help out people who don't shuffle well and to remove the bit of "you auto-lose this game" probability that always occurs. I'm not in favor of punishing horrible shufflers...ever since Rich Shay fucked up the sleeves of my unproxied vintage deck when I played against him I've hated anyone who gets all anal about shuffling. If you're careful and it means it takes longer I'll wait...rather see the minty-ness of your foily sol ring and such maintained than get all anal about magic. Actually, I'd rather do about anything other than get anal about mtg especially in casual. The read the runes turn 0, however, isn't being anal it's blatantly violating the initial construction of the game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-26 9:08 am 

just as a comment.

the biggest Highlander (not EDH only Highlander) cup in germany use also this kind of mulligan. You have ur normal mulligan and additionally u can choose to use the specialmulligan one time. (for example if u just go to 5 cards, u can use the special mulligan instead of going on 4 cards).

a FYI, the top 8 decks are always :

Zoo
MonoR
Boros W/R
Survival
Combo (weird combo with Sutured Ghoul,Cephalid Illusionist,etc)
Stax
5cWins
Elves (yep they can be so hard in the highlander format)

so it dont seem that this kind of mulligan is too good for combo.
----------------
Now playing: Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - Harvey Two-Face
via FoxyTunes

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-27 3:26 am 

Anyway, that's the mulligan used for the events in Lille (France). 60 players for the second edition ... noone complained about the normandy mulligan...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-27 4:00 pm 

Yes, the tournament was quite successful. 60 players for an EDH event outside Paris, that's a good score. With a very very small banlist and normandy mulligan, that proved to be good ! :)

Offline Profile