[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Hello; My name is Bringer of the _______ Dawn. Why you Hate?

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 2:58 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello; My name is Bringer of the _______ Dawn. Why you Hate?
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 10:36 am 

Sounds to me like there should be two ban lists. One inclusive; one exclusive.

But, maybe the French already took care of that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 10:40 am 
EDH Rules Committee

That has been suggested frequently, but I doubt that there will ever be two official ban lists. There are definitely benefits, but effectively having two different formats under the same banner would fracture non-playgroup commander even further. As you said, the French 1v1 ban list that KevinD curates does a good job of catering to the competitive side of commander, so there are resources out there for fans of that type of play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 11:23 am 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 11:56 am 

What Sid the Chicken says resonates with me as well. I move around a lot, and making an EDH deck takes a lot of work.

This next part will probably sound a little harsh. I also feel that there is a very good chance it does not need to be said, but -regardless- I do feel the need to say it.

I hope that the RC realizes that they have the responsibility of standardizing the format they created, and that -while it might have been just for a bunch of guys drinking beers in a basement once- it's quickly becoming something else for many. This might not have been what they intended -or wanted- when they made this format, but it is what is happening. Around the world stores are running multiplier Commander tournaments for money, and when they start one they look to the RC for a standardized set of rules. While it might "suck" to have to make rules with that in mind, I think it would be better for the format if they did. Those tournaments are just as important to getting people interested in the format (and magic in general) as a kitchen counter. If such a tournament flops because of unbalanced [O]ffical rules, it's not just bad for the store; it's bad for the game.

Additionally, it is the casual groups that are more likely to be open to the idea of house rules, and the competitive groups that are less willing to make such allowances. Personally, I would rather see Gifts, Hulk, and on the ban list and allow play groups to make house rules unbanning them then I would the other way around. Just like what is done for and the like right now.

The RC needs to make rules based on what IS happening with the format they created, not based on what they WISH was happening.

If I crossed a line in making this post I apologize. I realize it is not my place to tell others how to do their job, and I acknowledge that my opinion is just that. But -at they say- I wanted to get it out there.
Also it might be a "TL;DR" ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 12:34 pm 

Commander is not (and hopefully never will be) a sanctioned tournament format. If people are running tournaments with big prizes based on formats that aren't sanctioned, then they are the ones who are making the mistakes.

It isn't the RC's job to be the unsanctioned tournament police.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 1:58 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 2:41 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 3:22 pm 

I think you might have a severe misunderstanding with my post. I am not asking for a larger time allotment.

But -most importantly- I am certainly not questioning anyone's commitment to the format.

Last edited by 5ColorControl on 2012-Mar-02 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 3:39 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 4:52 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 6:24 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

You can expect some wording changes to the rules in the near future, moving things away from "suggested" toward "official." The dogma of EDH will always be "here's a centralized, formalized rules set" (so that everyone knows what to expect when they show up at events and whatnot), but "at home, do what you want."

That said, the direction of the RC and the Banned List will still remain "what's best for the format and its fans" and not "what makes better competitive tournaments."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 7:16 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 10:13 pm 

Pysces -if I might be so bold- and because we are stating our opinion,

You seem to be saying that the rules committee is not only unnecessary, but not -or should not be- committed to the format. If I might be frank, that's silly.

While I know my ideas probably appear radical, and that the rules committee are probably shacking their heads about it, I have only the utmost respect for what they do. It clearly should be standardized, and it's clearly from their preservative that it needs to be done. But it does need to be done, and they are doing it.

The idea that they need to dedicate more time to it is simply untrue. As I said, I am just stating my opinion of what I think is an important part of the format; things like side events and the like. I fully acknowledge that I am just a random voice on the internet and don't truly expect to be taking seriously, but I do still feel the need to use that random voice because I still think it's important.

I am truly sorry you do not.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 11:15 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 11:42 pm 

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next