Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 8:47 am

Post subject: Re: Tweaked Precons
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-02 2:50 pm 

Add Doubling Season (as the Mythic) to Ghave because why do 4/5 get a Mythic and the single card that works best for that general is curiously missing.

Replace the Oni Demons from Kalia that are just bad with 2 of anything else.

Add Bazaar Trader to Zedru and at least 1 it hurts my enemies to have this. Not Illusions of Grandeur or Celestial Dawn but maybe Jinxed Choker, Jinxed Idol, Jinxed Ring.

Add a Traumatize to Mimeoplasm.

IDK what small tweaks you can make to Animar to make him better immediately but I'm sure someone can tell me what fits along these lines.

Anyway. Make those changes then add 3 packs. Behold an interesting game night. But seriously make those very glaring omissions fixed.

Hazezon Tamar - Dune Flavor Project

I'm just glad I'm not in a group that has to worry about a Sky Hussar combo.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 1:40 pm 

I am doing something similar to this, just as a fun experiment. I bought an extra precon, and simpley buy one booster from every set that has came out since the precons. I tweak the deck with cards from those boosters only, and keep those cards in a seperate binder. I allow myself to trade with those cards to improve the deck as well, but always on a strict value for value limit. So far, it has made for an interesting exercise, but in time, it may just outgrow it's cuteness.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 5:11 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
I'd like to consider a variation where everyone is playing a precon (or at least a precon list) with some limited allowable tweaking, probably 5-10 cards. Is this is a viable variant or might it get degenerate?

Is this an "official" variant in the works?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 5:48 pm 

Please please please be able to fix the manabase...the high amount of basic lands (for a 3 colour deck IMO) made me cry.

Not shocklands or revised duals per se, but I'm sure there are enough copies of Ice age painlands/Invasion CIPT/M10-12+Innistrad dual lands out there at decent price range that most people should be able to put at least 4 of them in decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-06 6:16 am 
EDH Rules Committee

ludd_gang wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
I'd like to consider a variation where everyone is playing a precon (or at least a precon list) with some limited allowable tweaking, probably 5-10 cards. Is this is a viable variant or might it get degenerate?

No, this is just me thinking out loud. I think it only works if you have a small group who make an agreement on how to do it. Given the limits of the decks, you could probably find a number of cards that are quite broken.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-08 9:48 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
Given the limits of the decks, you could probably find a number of cards that are quite broken.

And by "probably" you mean "definitely".

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-08 12:52 am 

I'd like to resurrect this thread.

To date, there have been three commander product releases. I estimate the current card pool of these products to be around 850 to 900 cards, and I am starting to wonder whether this card pool is large enough to support its own format.

I think that this path might be worth a look for a few reasons. Firstly, it may be a way to ameliorate the tension between the spike and the casual crowds - particularly as it concerns abusive card interactions. To confirm this suggestion, perhaps a challenge should be issued to determine whether it is possible to design a deck that would be offensive to the casual player-base. Secondly, it may give some added direction for the design and development of ensuing commander products. Thirdly, the entirety of the card pool should be more accessible to (newer) players.

- Just some thoughts... and maybe Sheldon could write an article on this topic.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-08 4:37 am 

Sheldon wrote:
ludd_gang wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

No, this is just me thinking out loud. I think it only works if you have a small group who make an agreement on how to do it. Given the limits of the decks, you could probably find a number of cards that are quite broken.

I like this idea - but currently, I feel as if instead of a 5-10 card limit, an actual dollar amount is better. (I'm using my own experience from writing an article on the monoblack deck. I feel as if $35-50 is the right amount. 2-5 "not-budget cards) or about 15-30 "only-good-in-edh" upgrades. ( http://mtgjoz.tumblr.com/post/101512750 ... -monoblack )

You can grab a monocolored precon for $25-40; and for about the same amount of money and using freebies/throwins, come out with something pretty good. The red one would be a bit...tricky though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-08 5:55 am 

This can really be fun, my group is doing a Star match where everyone buys a precon and modified them. I got lucky and bought the red and busted a Sarkhan Dragonspeaker, so I'm going that direction. Then we are going to be seated in order, wubrg, i.e. I gotta kill white and blue. Unfortunately not going to happen until 28th so have to wait to see how things work out. I did take out most of the artifacts as its more an all in red deck than an artifact deck anymore.

I'll try and post the deck list so you guys can tear it apart.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile