Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 1:44 am

Post subject: Fun Ideas for a Tournament/Event
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-13 6:11 pm 

My LGS has a bunch of EDH fanatics, and as a result, there are several very strange tournaments that I've heard of (participated in a couple). Here's a couple examples:

1. Who is the Best Dragon Legend?
My favorite by far. This is for ten people, each person running a different one of the Invasion/PLC tri colored Dragon Legends. I got Darigaaz and ran Dragon Tribal (that was fun as fucking hell), and the winner ended up being, surprisingly, Vorosh, who ran an Experiment Kraj-type deck. Infinite/instant win combos were banned as well as the following cards: Karrthus, Ruination, and Rings of Brightheart.

2. Commanders of the Battlefield
Kinda the same idea as the Dragon Legend one, except it used all the tri colored Precon commanders (excluding the dragons). I picked Aminar and due to a combination of Riku using Hive Mind and RoR on a PT, I somehow managed to win that one. Same rules regarding infinite combos, and the only other banned cards were opposing generals.

3. Team Up Against the Hackers
4 on 1 game, but the one had 60 life and that banned rules did not apply to him. He picked Braids and faced Riku, Sedris, Thrax, and Sharuum. Riku ended up winning. To be honest, this one was just plain stupid. I would not recommend it.

4. Less Broken
Five way, each color ran mono color and these cards were banned:
Primeval Titan, Woodfall Primus, Tooth and Nail, Eternal Witness, Survival of the Fittest, Kiki-Jiki, Insurrection, Wild Ricochet, Obliterate, Balefire Dragon, Karmic Guide, Cataclysm, Reveillark, Yosei, Aven Mindcensor, Bitterblossom, Bitter Ordeal, Demonic Tutor, Living Death, Massacre Wurm, Consecrated Sphinx, Phyrexian Metamorph, Mind Over Matter, Palinchron, Time Stretch, Sol Ring, and Sensei's Divining Top. Also, Omnath, Azusa, Teferi, Azami, Red Ashling, Godo, Skithiryx, Dark Mike, Elesh Norn, and Kemba are not allowed as generals.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fun Ideas for a Tournament/Event
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-13 7:38 pm 

One of my groups played some star games with the Planar Chaos dragons. Those were pretty fun, especially since we had some diverse builds. We had my Oros equipment and Teneb ramp, and then Intet fatties, Vorosh infect, and Numot chaos.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fun Ideas for a Tournament/Event
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-18 11:23 am 

Reviving a dead thread: Me and my playgroup (5 in all) decided to do a random roll for each one of the Elder Dragon Legends.

We just pool our commons/uncommons together and have some fun.

Offline Profile