All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 5:18 pm

Post subject: Re: Concept Tournament Advise
AgePosted: 2013-Feb-20 8:09 am 

Segrus wrote:
Dalhren, Thrull Paragon--WWBB
Legendary Creature--Thrull

Lifelink, Undying, Vigilance

Whenever damage is dealt to Dalhren, Thrull Paragon, creatures you control gain Lifelink, Undying, or Vigilance. Then, Dalhren, Thrull Paragon loses the chosen ability. (These effects last indefinitely.)

"Redeeming perfection."--Endrek Sahr

5/5

Hmm... I like it. Powerful but not absurdly broken. Not sure how "printable" this would be, but then again Obliterator is a card. Overall I'd definitely play this, but he doesn't excite me overmuch as a general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-20 2:04 pm 

thaumaturge wrote:
Hmm... I like it. Powerful but not absurdly broken. Not sure how "printable" this would be, but then again Obliterator is a card. Overall I'd definitely play this, but he doesn't excite me overmuch as a general.

If you don't mind me asking, what makes this card less exciting than it could be?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-20 2:07 pm 

Segrus wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what makes this card less exciting than it could be?

If he could regain an ability but lose a different one the next time he was dealt damage would be more exciting to me, IMO. But I feel the wording would be messy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-21 3:07 am 

I think it would be possible by making him regain one of his abilities whenever another creature you control dies with it, and that wouldn't take too many more words; unfortunately, I believe allowing him regain any of the abilities past dying would ruin part of the flavor and make him a little too good. We really don't need another Mike/Trike combo.

Actually, I'm a little concerned about the tournament as a whole. One of the other players mentioned he was trying to design a card which would have both a flicker ability and a recruiter ability in Naya colors. From the sound of it, this is too powerful (without an incredibly high cost for either casting or activation) and honestly doesn't sound very creative. Maybe I over-estimated how well the players can design?

EDIT: that wouldn't take too many more words

Last edited by Segrus on 2013-Feb-21 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-21 3:18 am 

I guess him losing all of his abilities at some point isn't terrible, seeing has he is a 5/5 for 4, and if he is your general, you can recast him. So with that in mind, I do like him as printed. Would I make him my BW general? Maybe, if I wanted to make an aggro based BW deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-21 5:17 am 

Segrus wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

Eh, he excites me as a card I'd like to play, but not as one I'd like to build around. I can't really define it, but he just doesn't ignite that spark of creativity that makes me say "Ooh, I want to build around this guy!".

Deckbuilding, to me, is like art. You don't know when inspiration will strike, or what will trigger it. You just see it, and you suddenly have and idea that causes a surge of excitement.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-21 5:27 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Eh, he excites me as a card I'd like to play, but not as one I'd like to build around. I can't really define it, but he just doesn't ignite that spark of creativity that makes me say "Ooh, I want to build around this guy!".

Deckbuilding, to me, is like art. You don't know when inspiration will strike, or what will trigger it. You just see it, and you suddenly have and idea that causes a surge of excitement.

You're certainly right, and it's that the Sarpadian Thrulls are a tough nut to crack. Having an ability which does something with blinking, exiling, or sacrificing seems so common in the Orzhov colors. Three of the five Black/White Legendary creatures currently involve sacrificing things, again three of the five involve exiling, and even further three of the five involve blinking (in some way or another, in the case of Selenia, Dark Angel). I'd rather not just make a repeat of one of those.

What I'm wondering is if the design is too...either Black, or White--not both. For instance, Dahlren can hog all of his abilities to himself, which is very Black; however, he can give them all away to protect others, which is White. This is a rather conflicting state to be in. Hmm...thanks for the thoughts.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-21 6:57 am 

I feel like it's a pretty good balance between White and Black. It's such an outside-the-box design, really, it's hard to place it in the color pie, but W/B feels right to me.

And yeah, W/B Legends definitely lack in the variety department. Not treading down the same avenues as before is a good call. And this guy is definitely original, I can't fault you for that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-21 3:37 pm 

A friend brought up a good point that if Dahlren would die from combat damage, you can stack its Undying ability and triggered ability in such a way--as currently written--so you effectively get the best of both. It's been rewritten and hopefully jazzed up a little bit:

Lifelink, Undying, Vigilance

Whenever Dalhren, Thrull Paragon is dealt damage, you may have Dalhren, Thrull Paragon lose Lifelink, Undying, or Vigilance. If it does, other creatures you control gain the chosen ability, otherwise add {B} to your mana pool for each ability Dalhren, Thrull Paragon has lost. (These effects last indefinitely.)

This change makes Dalhren a little more appealing, and also a little more powerful. Well, not just a little, but it at least makes you want him to get hit a few times. Furthermore, this isn't too far off from what Sarpadian Thrulls do anyway (Blood Pet). I've been looking around at different cards to see if this would make it really easy way to get mana, but there doesn't seem to be any real way to break this in White and Black from what I've found. The closest you get is using artifacts, but most of those require some form of tapping besides Triskelion (which I already kinda knew would be a problem child).

What say you?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-22 2:22 am 

The adding mana just seems uninteresting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-25 4:37 pm 

Okay, I'm going to try one last time. I think I like this better; I think I was on the right track originally, but wasn't quite getting it.

Lifelink, Provoke, Undying

Whenever Dalhren, Thrull Paragon is dealt damage, you may have it lose Lifelink, Provoke, or Undying. If it does, other creatures you control gain the chosen ability.

I considered giving it a fourth ability, but I think it's probably better just as it is. Honestly, there's never enough time for him to lose an ability and start getting little bits of mana, so I dropped it after playtesting. While I think I might actually continue with this design after the tournament to see what happens in multiplayer, Dalhren really isn't very good one-on-one. Basic Draw-Go and Voltron decks really smash this guy despite the Lifelink, but in multiplayer he was really strong.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-09 8:47 am 

Okay, so here's the results: players had fun, but the majority of commanders/decks were rather...well, either a little too powerful or going for broken. Below are what I remember about the generals:

1G, tap: Put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped. Draw a card.
1U, tap: Return target creature card to its owner's hand.
XR, tap: Deal X damage to target creature or player.

3/3

Haste
Sonic the Hedgehog comes into play with a Ring counter. If it would leave play, you may instead remove a Ring counter from it.
2UR: Put a Ring counter on Sonic the Hedgehog.

4/1

GW: Link deals damage to target creature or player equal to its power. Activate this ability only if Link has never been dealt damage.
1: Prevent all damage dealt to Link from one source until end of turn.

2/3

Whenever Bad Jack comes into play, you may return target creature from your graveyard to your hand.

1/1

Defender, Indestructible

Pay X: Guardian of Alara may block X additional creatures this turn.
Whenever you activate Guardian of Alara's ability, you may pay an additional X. It gains +X/+X for each color of mana used for X.
Resistant 3 (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, counter that spell or ability unless its controller pays 3.)
6/6

These were the other generals besides mine. Luckily, the Guardian of Alara was played in a 'Super Friends' deck, so it was very slow and didn't try to abuse the obviously ridiculous commander (for instance, if it ever gets bounced to your hand it's a land so you don't have to recast him). The Sonic deck was a dedicated land destruction deck, which was very annoying (the player who designed it said that land destruction was okay, but the Mind Twist I put in mine with the only piece of fast mana in the entire deck being Sol Ring wasn't okay--he had at least four mass land destruction or close to, and another six to ten cards which destroy a single land). The Bad Jack deck was made absolutely last second, so it looked like crap and played like crap. Too bad for the player who had to deal with that. Dalhren wasn't too powerful because the player piloting it didn't really know how to play EDH, which is okay.

Finally, Link was really, really good. The deck was very Voltron, which meant in a very few turns it could clear out every creature you play, equip a Sword, and swing through. The guy piloting it didn't even seem to react against the LD deck; kinda like hitting a speed bump. He won every game. Everyone voted the Link deck was the best built.

So...I believe some more rules need to be written to help guide players a little, but I'm very loathe to put roadblocks for creativity. I also think a general design workshop would be boring to say in the least. Hmm...I'll to give it some thought.

Offline Profile