Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-23 7:09 pm

Post subject: Games you felt bad for winning
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-14 4:28 pm 

At my LGS tonight, I won with my Prime Speaker Zegana elf tribal deck, but I did not feel particularly satisfied by how it played out, and I think my table felt the same.

I had a good draw off some mulligans, going turn 1 Llanowar Elves, turn 2 Kodama's Reach, turn 3 Opposition, turn 4 Wild Pair. I play a couple creatures and search with Wild Pair, they get killed leaving me handless, but with my enchantments still out. I draw Nullmage Shepherd and search up Seedborn Muse, letting me tap a couple things each turn. It gets back to me and I draw Imperious Perfect, play it and and search out Glen Elendra Archmage to protect my suddenly ridiculous board. I get four taps on everyone's turn and when it gets back to me, Imperious Perfect comes online to bring me an elf every turn, and everyone scoops, at least one of them upset.

I just didn't like winning by Opposition lock so early, it felt rather douchey. I think I'll take Opposition out of the maindeck; with Seedborn Muse and Murkfiend Liege in the deck it was bound to happen sometime.

So what are some of your most upsetting wins?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Games you felt bad for winning
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-14 11:26 pm 

I had a Rafiq of the Many deck that was focused around equipping Rafiq and using Glare of Subdual and Opposition to control the board to swing in for damage. This, in and of itself, doesn't seem too bad, right? Maybe a little mean-spirited but definitely something that can be handled.

I then decided to put Body Double, Reveillark, and Karmic Guide into said deck, because I was tired of getting my board destroyed every turn. The first time I got all of it onto the table (which was the first game I played with it), my opponents couldn't do anything and I went around the table one shotting them with a Rancor'd Warhammer'd Rafiq through 3 different player's attempts to sweep my board.

I took the deck apart and built my Group Hug Phelddagrif deck after that game.

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-14 11:52 pm 

Played some games with a friend and his brother. We played three games, of which I won all of them. I felt pretty good about myself until I realized that I had won every single game by casting a massive Exsanguinate. That was the night I stopped playing with Exsanguinate.

Another joyless win, from this thread:

Files this under "so good, it's bad":

Playing three-way Planechase Commander with Damia. First plane is Grove of the Dreampods, and as the second player to have my turn, I blast out of the gates with a Consecrated Sphinx off the top of the my library.

With just a few lands in play, I'm frantically trying to cast all the cards I'm drawing, but still having to discard down to seven each turn. I get Psychosis Crawler into play, which turns every opponent's draw step into a Shock at each opponent.

They team up against me, but just as they manage to get some real muscle down, I play Living Death. My graveyard is well-stocked from the many early discards, and the table is a complete mess with ETB effects everywhere.

I recur Psychosis Crawler and get both Recycle and Null Profusion in play, bleeding them for even more as I whirl through my library. From there, everything is a blur until I win the game by playing Exsanguinate for 15, then Eternal Witness for Exsanguinate the following turn.

Status: Half of my deck was either on the battlefield or in my graveyard, it didn't matter what my opponents played, and despite many attempts, we never left Grove of the Dreampods. I want to combine Planechase with Commander, but I'm not sure I want to have another game like that for the foreseable future.

We tried out Planechase a few more times after that, but soon gave up on it.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-15 12:18 am 

Basically every game I ever won with my Animar deck. Even without being able to go infinite, it still always ended up being a very durdly, twenty-minute-turn sort of deck. Very fun to pilot, because it was a complex puzzle to solve, but for everyone else it was basically like my opponents were just sitting and watching me solve a Sudoku puzzle. Lame.

Also, pretty much any game I win, in which my opponents never once managed to mount a reasonable defense or return offense. If I just steamroll someone to the point where I feel like I was just goldfishing, that's rarely ever fun for me. (The one notable exception is if I'm playing a new deck that's been underperforming and it's first victory is a crushing and absolute blowout. I'm fine with it then.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-15 12:27 am 

Oh, and the most recent game I won, actually, ended on a pretty lame note:

I was playing my new-ish Nin deck that is a pretty weak deck overall, but still fun. Anyway, the 4-way game went long and eventually it was down to me and the Zedruu deck left... both the Zedruu deck and my deck are rather light on win-cons, especially creatures. So it was basically a showdown between the two most non-lethal decks. We settled in for a long, boring game because both decks had WAY more defense than offense. But after a few turns I top decked a Devil's Play. I stalled until I hit enough mana to go: Devil's Play for 17, copy it with Increasing Vengeance. 34 to Zedruu's dome. I hate winning with X-spell + bunch of mana, but it was the best shot I had at ending the game before it went on another two hours. Also, it was "exactsies" which I am incapable of passing up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-15 1:25 am 

The only time I feel bad about winning is if my opponent is mana-screwed the whole game and literally can't do anything against me. Other than that, I don't feel bad. When I put an infinite turn combo and tuck spells in my deck, I know exactly what they're going to do. Quite simply, if I'm going to feel bad for my actions, I won't give myself the chance to take those actions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-15 1:54 am 

We had an EDH 'tournament' a while back. It was really just 3 4-person pods and the winners of those played each other. My girlfriend was super excited because she won her pod with her new Slivers deck, and felt like she had a real chance of taking the whole thing.

I was playing my mono-black deck, and had a pretty rapid set-up of
Anowon
Mimic Vat w/ Fleshbag Marauder
Grave Pact

and swamps tapping for 2.

That oppression was bad enough, and she tried to cast Patriarch's Bidding to get around it. I cast Sudden Spoiling to prevent her hasted alpha strike, and proceeded to Pestilence / Grave Pact kill everything but the Kalitas I got back.

The rest of the game went just as you'd expect, with my grinding out everything they tried to do.

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-15 2:56 am 

I'm pretty near to the point where I've stopped enjoying wins from my Savra deck. As anyone who's ever played her knows, Savra decks do only one thing but they do it over and over and over and over and over again. :)

Savra is the first EDH deck I ever built; since I was just getting started in the EDH format I didn't have the card power that everyone else had so my philosophy was to be a cockroach that was either very hard or very unrewarding and cumbersome to kill and it's worked. Almost too well, it seems. The deck isn't even all that great but when the deck wins, it almost invariably does so by slowly and inevitably choking the life out of everyone else.

Avenger of Zendikar plus Perilous Forays. Oh you wrathed away my team? How cute. lemme replay Avenger again but with 8 more lands in play.

Grave Pact plus Oversold Cemetery plus Darkheart Sliver? Hm, I'll refrain from playing Savra and Butcher of Malakir out of pity for the table.

Things got even worse once I saw Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord. Last few times I played the deck, it was all about him and Lord of Extinction; that was kind of a shark jumping moment for me.

It's my own damn fault for putting all of these oppressively resilient interactions in the deck, of course. I want to take the card pool for the deck in a different B/G direction but its current iteration is probably the most efficient way of doing things. Part of it is the color identity since philosophically, this is what green-black does.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-15 3:21 am 

kehnonymous wrote:
Things got even worse once I saw Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord. Last few times I played the deck, it was all about him and Lord of Extinction; that was kind of a shark jumping moment for me.

While not something I feel particularly bad about, I won a 6-man game in under 1-hour with this combo. We had exactly 1 hour to finish the game and the slowest player alive gumming up the works. I drew into both cards at the last possible moment (having T'n'N'ed earlier for some life-gain to stay in the game, I don't go for the combo with my tutors)

What made it not so unfun was that we were approaching time, I had zero cards in hand, I drew, dropped Rhystic Study and passed with all 5 other players neglecting to pay and allowed me to draw. I got Boom Tube with the last trigger and drew Jarad in my turn, played both, activated him to eliminate 3 players directly, one for exactsies, and passed the turn.

The player to my left gained life to take him to 23 and passed the turn. The final player dropped Serra Avatar while sitting on 23 life and passed the turn, both players paying the 1 extra to stop me drawing off the Rhystic Study. I drew Phyrexian Metamorph, copied the Avatar and activated Jarad for 2 more exactsies.

The sheer audacity of going from no board to killing 5 players in 2 turns, 3 for exactsies, within the time limit, was pretty awesome and was acknowledged as such. I think that had I done it at pretty much any other time, it wouldn't have been well received.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-16 5:26 am 

zimagic wrote:
dropped Rhystic Study and passed with all 5 other players neglecting to pay and allowed me to draw

I might not have been mad at you about this, but I would have been at least a little sore. Rhystic Study says "(1) attack me to death, or (2) hand me the game, or (3) slow way down" and in a game where everyone is trying to finish in under an hour, option 3 is out. Option 1 was also not possible because of the board state. The fact that you won via Jarad is purely circumstantial; but the fact that you won was practically inevitable.

I'm not against R. Study in general, but from the way I read your report, in that game it was a bit of a stinker.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-16 12:54 pm 

Every game I won with Omniscience. I won't bother to describe them, because it seems to be happening everywhere.

Most famous article: Breaking Phage

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc ... Phage.html

Personal Favorite: pWN3D: Recollections of Spectacular Defeats in Multiplayer Magic

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/mult ... Magic.html

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-16 2:49 pm 

Malekoda wrote:
Played some games with a friend and his brother. We played three games, of which I won all of them. I felt pretty good about myself until I realized that I had won every single game by casting a massive Exsanguinate. That was the night I stopped playing with Exsanguinate.

Another joyless win, from this thread:

Files this under "so good, it's bad":

Playing three-way Planechase Commander with Damia. First plane is Grove of the Dreampods, and as the second player to have my turn, I blast out of the gates with a Consecrated Sphinx off the top of the my library.

With just a few lands in play, I'm frantically trying to cast all the cards I'm drawing, but still having to discard down to seven each turn. I get Psychosis Crawler into play, which turns every opponent's draw step into a Shock at each opponent.

They team up against me, but just as they manage to get some real muscle down, I play Living Death. My graveyard is well-stocked from the many early discards, and the table is a complete mess with ETB effects everywhere.

I recur Psychosis Crawler and get both Recycle and Null Profusion in play, bleeding them for even more as I whirl through my library. From there, everything is a blur until I win the game by playing Exsanguinate for 15, then Eternal Witness for Exsanguinate the following turn.

Status: Half of my deck was either on the battlefield or in my graveyard, it didn't matter what my opponents played, and despite many attempts, we never left Grove of the Dreampods. I want to combine Planechase with Commander, but I'm not sure I want to have another game like that for the foreseable future.

We tried out Planechase a few more times after that, but soon gave up on it.

I'm just going to stop you there,

The fact that you had both RECYCLE and NULL PROFUSION out, meant that that game was amazing. And you shouldn't feel bad about winning that game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-18 6:40 am 

IGottaBigDeck wrote:
Every game I won with Omniscience. I won't bother to describe them, because it seems to be happening everywhere.

That card is bad and you should feel bad. ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-20 12:51 pm 

This was at a modern event, but still crummy:

I was playing Afffinity. I got lit up by Burn Guy with main deck Flambreak, played like crap against UW, and ended up in the 0-2 bracket playing against some guy playing GW random dudes, featuring Loxodon Heirarch and (!) Phytohydra. Game 1, my robots do their "Kill all humans!" routine. Game 2, I screw up sideboarding and take a game loss.

Game 3 I keep a semi-slow hand with Steel Overseers and Inkmoths. Random Dudes Dude starts off with mana dork, Centaur Healer, Phytohydra, and some random pump spells. I block and trade and stall while I build up my Inkmoths, and he starts getting excited because my chumps are getting whittled away and it looks like he's winning. After I thaw for a while, I find Cranial Plating, play and equip it to an Inkmoth Nexus, and one shot him for 12 infect damage.

He says, "Ok, I'll take it," and then starts to untap and take his turn. It turns out he's never played with infect before and has no idea how it works, and I feel like a jerk explaining how he just lost.

:facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-21 6:36 am 

Still feel horrible for this, as it turned one player away from EDH forever....

Playing in a commander league points game, with a Xira Aren Hermit Druid / Necrotic Ooze shenanigans.dec...

Turn 7 I go off, and with infinite mind slaver recursion (and taking their turns for them rather quickly....) proceed to do 20 points of commander damage to both players with my commander, tick off each achievement on our list except for the player eliminations, and set both players lives to 35, shuffle their hands, permanents, and GY into their libraries, force them each to draw 7 cards, politely ask them if they wish to "mulligan" any cards away, proceed to do targeted discard effects to each of them until they've discard their disliked cards, and force them to draw X-1 cards, (looped until no more mulligans wanted...) then after doing so again shuffle their graveyards into their libraries and bump their lives to forty, then proceed to scoop up my pile, wish them a good day and proceed to watch the other games going on.

The player who one oddly is who gave up EDH afterwards, but both players were really disheartened by the game.

Offline Profile