Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-21 10:05 am

Post subject: Re: Games you felt bad for winning
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-21 9:10 am 

moraff wrote:
Still feel horrible for this, as it turned one player away from EDH forever....

Playing in a commander league points game, with a Xira Aren Hermit Druid / Necrotic Ooze shenanigans.dec...

Turn 7 I go off, and with infinite mind slaver recursion (and taking their turns for them rather quickly....) proceed to do 20 points of commander damage to both players with my commander, tick off each achievement on our list except for the player eliminations, and set both players lives to 35, shuffle their hands, permanents, and GY into their libraries, force them each to draw 7 cards, politely ask them if they wish to "mulligan" any cards away, proceed to do targeted discard effects to each of them until they've discard their disliked cards, and force them to draw X-1 cards, (looped until no more mulligans wanted...) then after doing so again shuffle their graveyards into their libraries and bump their lives to forty, then proceed to scoop up my pile, wish them a good day and proceed to watch the other games going on.

The player who one oddly is who gave up EDH afterwards, but both players were really disheartened by the game.

So wait, you had a Mindslaver lock on everyone, and could kill everyone, but you chose to mine achievement points and prolong the game? That sounds like a pretty shit thing to do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-21 9:30 am 

cryogen wrote:
So wait, you had a Mindslaver lock on everyone, and could kill everyone, but you chose to mine achievement points and prolong the game? That sounds like a pretty shit thing to do.

And that's why Commander doesn't work as a tournament format, not even with "fun" achievement points.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-21 10:12 pm 

moraff wrote:
Still feel horrible for this, as it turned one player away from EDH forever....

Playing in a commander league points game, with a Xira Aren Hermit Druid / Necrotic Ooze shenanigans.dec...

Turn 7 I go off, and with infinite mind slaver recursion (and taking their turns for them rather quickly....) proceed to do 20 points of commander damage to both players with my commander, tick off each achievement on our list except for the player eliminations, and set both players lives to 35, shuffle their hands, permanents, and GY into their libraries, force them each to draw 7 cards, politely ask them if they wish to "mulligan" any cards away, proceed to do targeted discard effects to each of them until they've discard their disliked cards, and force them to draw X-1 cards, (looped until no more mulligans wanted...) then after doing so again shuffle their graveyards into their libraries and bump their lives to forty, then proceed to scoop up my pile, wish them a good day and proceed to watch the other games going on.

The player who one oddly is who gave up EDH afterwards, but both players were really disheartened by the game.

Wait, so not only did you kill the puppy, the cute kittens and Bambi's mom, you prolonged the suffering so as to inflict maximum pain while doing so?

Way to go, Rakdos! :cry:

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-27 8:47 pm 

I was playing a quick 1v1 between Godo (me) and Dralnu.

I had been pretty mana screwed all game and had four lands by turn 8-9. My board consisted of a Goblin Welder with a Basilisk Collar on it, howling mine, ruby medallion and Mimic Vat with a suspended Wheel of Fate.

Meanwhile he has Dralnu out, a Rune-Scarred Demon, and just cast Army of the Damned.

I'm at ~28 life and dead on board next turn. The wheel goes off in my upkeep discarding a caged sun and drawing me into Vicious Shadows and Blasphemous Act as well as a Pyroblast for counter backup...

Coming from behind like that and winning off of four lands with an 8 and 9 CMC spell was cool but something about it just felt dirty... especially had he lived with Dralnu taking 13 damage.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-28 1:41 am 

Epsilon wrote:

I had been pretty mana screwed all game and had four lands by turn 8-9. My board consisted of a Goblin Welder with a Basilisk Collar on it, howling mine, ruby medallion and Mimic Vat with a suspended Wheel of Fate.

Meanwhile he has Dralnu out, a Rune-Scarred Demon, and just cast Army of the Damned.

I'm at ~28 life and dead on board next turn. The wheel goes off in my upkeep discarding a caged sun and drawing me into Vicious Shadows and Blasphemous Act as well as a Pyroblast for counter backup...

Coming from behind like that and winning off of four lands with an 8 and 9 CMC spell was cool but something about it just felt dirty... especially had he lived with Dralnu taking 13 damage.

That actually sounds pretty awesome to me!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-28 3:33 am 

Tony-The-Tiger wrote:
Epsilon wrote:

That actually sounds pretty awesome to me!

This sounds like it should be in the epic plays thread to me. I realize you felt bad about it, but that's a really way to come back.

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-28 4:45 am 

@ Epsilon - Yeah, I gotta say, I wouldn't have felt at all bad about that victory - you were the underdog, afterall. Besides, I played Standard during Dralnu du Louvre's reign and god I $@%#ing hated that deck, so I consider yours a moral victory as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-28 4:53 am 

Sometimes I feel bad for winning against players that have been screwed the entire game in one way or another; then I realize that most of them wouldnt' give a damn if I had been screwed in a game and they rofflestomped me.

I need to stop being nice when I play magic...

but its so hard for me to even think about infinite sylvan primordial loops and feel like a decent human being afterwards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-28 3:23 pm 

thaumaturge wrote:
@ Epsilon - Yeah, I gotta say, I wouldn't have felt at all bad about that victory - you were the underdog, afterall. Besides, I played Standard during Dralnu du Louvre's reign and god I $@%#ing hated that deck, so I consider yours a moral victory as well.

It was cool as a comeback win but the guy I was playing with is new to EDH with maybe 1200 cards total to his name. Most of his decks consist of a few Zendikar forward bombs and then filler garbage to hit 100 cards while all of mine are a bit more tuned and themed with major struggles to cut a desired list in half to 99... He doesn't have it built as some debilitating control deck where he kills or counters everything twice, Dralnu is there more for value (and cool art) to get some additional mileage out of his few good cards.

He likes the format but doesn't really have the cards to compete and I don't want to start driving him away by winning out of nowhere and stealing his rare victories. So it's more of a feeling bad for "stealing a win" from a new player rather than feeling bad for a dick play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-28 3:25 pm 

Epsilon wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

It was cool as a comeback win but the guy I was playing with is new to EDH with maybe 1200 cards total to his name. Most of his decks consist of a few Zendikar forward bombs and then filler garbage to hit 100 cards while all of mine are a bit more tuned and themed with major struggles to cut a desired list in half to 99... He doesn't have it built as some debilitating control deck where he kills or counters everything twice, Dralnu is there more for value (and cool art) to get some additional mileage out of his few good cards.

He likes the format but doesn't really have the cards to compete and I don't want to start driving him away by winning out of nowhere and stealing his rare victories. So it's more of a feeling bad for "stealing a win" from a new player rather than feeling bad for a dick play.

Don't steal the victory then, subtly help him get it instead?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-28 4:20 pm 

Joz wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

Don't steal the victory then, subtly help him get it instead?

The problem is more that the victory is empty if he got it because I was mana screwed and there's not much ways for me to recover without screwing him over in a red deck since everything is damage based. He's already figured out that he only wins games that I get really screwed on mana or with an infect kill even if I deliberately pick decks that are weak to his partifular strategy (He's made like 5 decks and I normally try to pick ones that are weak to his general to give him some additional advantage).

Right now I'm just playing decks that I'm debating on retiring to make room for new decks within the colors... (debating on dropping Godo for Diaochan and Hakim for Ixidor)

I'll probably end up building a lower powered deck til he gets some more cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-28 11:34 pm 

Epsilon wrote:
The problem is more that the victory is empty if he got it because I was mana screwed and there's not much ways for me to recover without screwing him over in a red deck since everything is damage based. He's already figured out that he only wins games that I get really screwed on mana or with an infect kill even if I deliberately pick decks that are weak to his partifular strategy (He's made like 5 decks and I normally try to pick ones that are weak to his general to give him some additional advantage).

Right now I'm just playing decks that I'm debating on retiring to make room for new decks within the colors... (debating on dropping Godo for Diaochan and Hakim for Ixidor)

Might I suggest giving him some cards? If it's not a huge financial hardship for you it would probably mean a lot to him and make your games more enjoyable.

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-29 12:59 am 

Artos wrote:
Epsilon wrote:

Might I suggest giving him some cards? If it's not a huge financial hardship for you it would probably mean a lot to him and make your games more enjoyable.

I agree, one of the easiest ways to keep a person interested in EDH is to give them some spare bulk that are still good in EDH. I've helped out 4 or 5 individuals in that way in the last two years; and all of them are still playing and enjoying EDH. ETB tapped duals from older sets; the oddessy filter lands; various cheap tutors and etb creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-30 8:27 am 

I was playing my Kaervek group slug deck and quickly dropped Havoc Festival and Wound Reflection. I drew them naturally and they both fit into the decks theme. Everyone else died on their next turn. Took about 10 mins for that 4 player game.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-16 10:36 pm 

shmebula wrote:
I was playing my Kaervek group slug deck and quickly dropped Havoc Festival and Wound Reflection. I drew them naturally and they both fit into the decks theme. Everyone else died on their next turn. Took about 10 mins for that 4 player game.

Sounds like a game I just played on Saturday. The Krenko player ramped with rituals into a Wild Evocation then tried to "zot" an unpaired DEN controlled by the Numot player. His response was to Resto Angel it to save it.

During Numot's turn, he Evocated out Kiki-Jiki. What can you really do at that point?

Offline Profile