Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-16 1:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Generals you absolutely despise
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-07 7:36 pm 

There is a serious, serious hate on in my groups for any Sharuum deck. Doesn't matter what it does, how it works, what isn't it in, or even how good it is.

Come to think of it, I think people in my groups just hate Esper of any kind.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-07 10:58 pm 

In general, I dislike every general that says "kill this immediately or lose," especially if they can be cast early in the game. Kaalia of the Vast is the most blatant of these, since letting them untap with her usually means 'Geddon, Game, but it also applies to Riku of Two Reflections, Jhoira of the Ghitu, Azami, Lady of Scrolls, and Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind. These sorts of generals just lead to binary play patterns and don't have a lot of diplomatic wriggle-room, since they're so dangerous that you can't risk them surviving almost no matter what is happening. I prefer more interesting legends that leave an impact and can be very good, but don't threaten to end the game right away, like the Planar Chaos dragons, most Alara legends, Wrexial, the Risen Deep, Trostani, Selesnya's Voice, Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius, and similar.

Oh, and I loathe Ghave, Guru of Spores with a special passion. It just combos way too easily for my liking, sometimes even without the player's deckbuilding intent.

Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius - Sorcery/Instant Control
Rasputin Dreamweaver - Blink
Teneb, the Harvester - Knight Tribal
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Life Gain, Life Payment

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-08 5:29 am 

I keep reading the thread title and thinking, "man, it's hard to despise a general... even if it got back to their hand, they'll just return to it the command zone... curse you Wydwen!"

I don't hate generals; there's usually a way to play a general in a non-obnoxious way. It's the other 99 that matter.

That said, I built a mono-white stax deck with Mangara of Corondor. Besides usual stax annoyances, it had a bunch of untap (like Thousand-Year Elixir) and bounce cards (like Erratic Portal), so I could put a 3-4 Mangara activations on the stack, then bounce him back to my hand. So every turn, I could exile a permanent from each opponent. Other people hated it, and I kinda hated playing it, 'cause it took forever to actually end a game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-08 5:44 am 

Kemev wrote:
I keep reading the thread title and thinking, "man, it's hard to despise a general... even if it got back to their hand, they'll just return to it the command zone... curse you Wydwen!"

I don't hate generals; there's usually a way to play a general in a non-obnoxious way. It's the other 99 that matter.

That said, I built a mono-white stax deck with Mangara of Corondor. Besides usual stax annoyances, it had a bunch of untap (like Thousand-Year Elixir) and bounce cards (like Erratic Portal), so I could put a 3-4 Mangara activations on the stack, then bounce him back to my hand. So every turn, I could exile a permanent from each opponent. Other people hated it, and I kinda hated playing it, 'cause it took forever to actually end a game.

I see Thousand Year Elixir, Burst of Energy (instant - 1 use), Inspirit (instant - 1 use), Jandor's Saddlebags, Magewright's Stone, Nacre Talisman, Puppet Strings.

...so, 5 semi-playable artifacts in monowhite, and two shity instants. Then Erratic Portal....so...no?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-08 6:08 am 

Do you mean "no" in the sense that you don't believe it works, or "no" it's not that annoying?

If you're interested in trying it, you only need 3-4 of the untap artifacts. I like elixir for haste, Puppet Strings for Crackdown and your other lock effects, and Umbral Mantle for repeats (and it's easy to tutor for).

Past that, there are about 15 or so white instants to untap with + Village Bell-ringer (who's also handy for untapping any of your guys under a Meekstone effect). You only need a few instants; mono-white stax is pretty dependent on Land Tax and Scroll Rack already, so it's not too hard to tuck them with Mistveil Plains and rack 'em back to the top.

The bounce part is the least important, since you can just recast Mangara, so Flickerform and Erratic Portal are enough, but there are some blink spells you can run too.

The deck plays a little differently than the Armageddon-focused stax decks, so I thought it would be more fun (it wasn't).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-08 6:21 am 

Im just putting this out here...

But I already despise Aurelia....and as soon as it gets into EDH, I'm going to despise it and Kaalia too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-25 6:37 pm 

I'm already sick of Trostani, Selesnya's Voice.

I'm gonna go jump on the Ghave, Guru of Spores hate bandwagon as well. I start to tiwtch everytime I see Ghave at a table or inside a game room.

I also hate hate hate going up against Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. Game gets far too unfun far too quickly once he hits the field.

Hit me up on Magic Online (DeathByForklift) or on Cockatrice (Proxy13)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-26 12:20 pm 

Trostani, Ghave, and Augustin is an interesting trio. It's sort of like the Sesame Street puzzle jingle, "One of these things is not like the other..."

Ghave and Augustin I get, and I think a lot of people would agree with you. I'm stumped on Trostani though, since to me, she looks like a fat-bottomed girl that gains life and makes dudes. Could you elaborate on what makes her despicable?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-26 12:25 pm 

Kemev wrote:
Trostani, Ghave, and Augustin is an interesting trio. It's sort of like the Sesame Street puzzle jingle, "One of these things is not like the other..."

Ghave and Augustin I get, and I think a lot of people would agree with you. I'm stumped on Trostani though, since to me, she looks like a fat-bottomed girl that gains life and makes dudes. Could you elaborate on what makes her despicable?

Some people don't like it when other players gain life; you usually find those people playing with themselves as they goldfish their now-banned Eraio decks in the corner.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-28 11:42 am 

Kemev wrote:

It's not so much that she's despicable, but I'm absolutely sick of seeing of her already. Everyone and their grandmama is playing Trostani right now, and ugh. I don't really mind the general too much (at least not like Ghave or Augustin), but I don't see a lot of variants at all in all the decks I've seen and played against. It's the same tired schtick. So it's not so much that I hate the general, I just hate how much of her I'm seeing in such a short time span. I'm sure I'll eventually get over it.

And it's also like did GW really need another bonkers Token maker & support general?

/gripe

Hit me up on Magic Online (DeathByForklift) or on Cockatrice (Proxy13)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-05 4:26 am 

Proxy wrote:
Kemev wrote:

It's not so much that she's despicable, but I'm absolutely sick of seeing of her already. Everyone and their grandmama is playing Trostani right now, and ugh. I don't really mind the general too much (at least not like Ghave or Augustin), but I don't see a lot of variants at all in all the decks I've seen and played against. It's the same tired schtick. So it's not so much that I hate the general, I just hate how much of her I'm seeing in such a short time span. I'm sure I'll eventually get over it.

And it's also like did GW really need another bonkers Token maker & support general?

/gripe

Flavor of the month. It works well for the colors and if you want to go a life-gain route.

I can't think of too much to abuse Trostani. I dunno, maybe it is just that you see them a lot. I dont know many people who have a gripe with her.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-23 10:31 am 

Tsabo Tavoc

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-28 5:25 am 

Hatshop wrote:

Good one. Tsabo is such a troll general.
-----
Mine are Azami, Thrun, Wanderer, and Azusa. I'm fine with folks playing Riku.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-29 2:46 am 

YawgsAgenda510 wrote:
Hatshop wrote:

-----

Tsabo's another one I have trouble understanding... she's horribly overcosted and her ability got a major nerf. The most charitable thing I can think of is that she won 3rd place in the "Best 7-mana RB general" contest...

Maybe someone could elaborate a bit?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-29 2:58 am 

Kemev wrote:
YawgsAgenda510 wrote:
Hatshop wrote:

-----

Tsabo's another one I have trouble understanding... she's horribly overcosted and her ability got a major nerf. The most charitable thing I can think of is that she won 3rd place in the "Best 7-mana RB general" contest...

Maybe someone could elaborate a bit?

Out of how many?
Barktooth Warbeard
Lady Orca
Tsabo Tavoc
...Bladewing the Risen

oh...ouch. harsh burn...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next