Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-17 5:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad EDH players/games
AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 6:04 am 

Malekoda wrote:
zimagic wrote:
Ghave plays Sylvain Primordial. Melek, to my right has seen the Death Cloud in my hand and was obviously following my train of thought and laughing quietly to himself but, unfortunatly, was also drinking water when Ghave played the SP.

What happened? I guess the water somehow got spilled, but it's not clear from the story.

Yep, he essentially spat his water over the playing surface.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-23 4:42 am 

4 player game, don't remember all of the generals, but I was playing Glissa, the Traitor and someone else was playing Azusa. Azusa had Crucible of Worlds out and an Avenger of Zendikar with a Terramorphic Expanse out. I had to kill the avenger. The Azusa player ramped like crazy for a few turns when one of the other players revealed they had an Abrupt Decay in hand the whole time. :facepalm: If he had gotten rid of the Crucible earlier the Azusa player wouldn't have ramped so easily.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-14 3:00 pm 

I've had games where someone comboed out relatively early, and a game (for prizes that the LGS sponsored) where I was playing a mostly blue Niv Mizzet deck and another player Bribery-ed out Iona on turn 4, but the only really terrible game of EDH I ever played was hanging out after Theros pre-release with one guy who comes to the store occasionally, and one guy (wearing a fedora) who I had never met before and haven't seen since.

I was playing my voltron Tajic deck, the other guy I know was playing something UG (maybe Edric?) and fedora guy has a 5-color general, I think Cromat. Anyway, Edric hits me a couple times with Thala Adel and steals my chromatic lantern and a Jitte or something. I get out a couple pieces of equipment and cast Tajic. Fedora guy does nothing but ramp and cast a couple tutors. Finally, he casts Obliterate. No goal in sight; the board state wasn't impossible, his stuff wasn't indestructible, he didn't have any kind of combo. Just cast Obliterate.

Keep in mind that I was playing a voltron deck and my general was indestructible. So basically he just cleared the way for me.

(oh and this is my first post here, so hi)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-16 9:44 am 

bclare wrote:
Finally, he casts Obliterate. No goal in sight; the board state wasn't impossible, his stuff wasn't indestructible, he didn't have any kind of combo. Just cast Obliterate.

Keep in mind that I was playing a voltron deck and my general was indestructible. So basically he just cleared the way for me.

:facepalm: Out of curiosity, were you able to figure out if he was a troll or just genuinely stupid? Or even worse, was he one of those guys that knows he's doing something stupid but does it anyways "because he's bored"?
bclare wrote:
(oh and this is my first post here, so hi)

Welcome!

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-16 11:04 am 

Maybe it's some form of inversed group hug.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-21 10:02 am 

Have someone really annoying in our group who is making himself very hard to play with.

We have a new magic player being tutored by one of our group and fast-tracked into commander. She's enjoying it and doing well learing basic magic and then 1v1 commander with the most basic decks we can give her, increasing complexity little by little.

After about 2 weeks we suggest a 2HG with commander decks on the basis that it's multi-player but she'll have a team-mate to bounce ideas off and give pointers. Personally I'm not a fan of the structure for Commander but that what we went with. Unfortunately our 4th player sits down and breaks out Talrand and refuses to change because that's his 2HG deck. There's some friendly back and forth but he refuses to budge, we decide to give it a go. Total disaster. He plays counterspell-kingmaker to his partner and, as I was a bit slow getting into the game, essentially countered all of the new player's spells.

After the game, I took him aside, explained what we were trying to achieve here and we sat down for a second game with Skullbriar replacing Talrand. It turns out that he's land light and doesn't play much during the game but he does make up for it by referring to every female character played during the game (Liliana, Jeleva, Derevi & a few angels) as b*t*h*s and a few other things I can't type here. I couldn't believe it, the guy is like 30 years old, not some thoughless teen. We're playing at work with people from varying levels of management but it didn't matter what we said, he just wouldn't stop. We were no-where near finished when I turned to Jess and asked her if she wanted to keep playing at which she practically ran away from the game in relief.

She said afterwards that she didn't feel comfortable saying anything as she's new and the tirade didn't seem to be directed at her specifically but she has no intention of repeating the experience. Can't blame her.

I shared my feelings with Talrad/Skullbriar but he was pooh-poohing me by the end of the first sentence about censorship.

Man, I'm so annoyed with him right now.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-21 10:54 am 

Wow... what a terrific guy. Hopefully your friend isn't turned off of magic altogether now.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-21 11:34 am 

zimagic wrote:
Have someone really annoying in our group who is making himself very hard to play with.

We have a new magic player being tutored by one of our group and fast-tracked into commander. She's enjoying it and doing well learing basic magic and then 1v1 commander with the most basic decks we can give her, increasing complexity little by little.

After about 2 weeks we suggest a 2HG with commander decks on the basis that it's multi-player but she'll have a team-mate to bounce ideas off and give pointers. Personally I'm not a fan of the structure for Commander but that what we went with. Unfortunately our 4th player sits down and breaks out Talrand and refuses to change because that's his 2HG deck. There's some friendly back and forth but he refuses to budge, we decide to give it a go. Total disaster. He plays counterspell-kingmaker to his partner and, as I was a bit slow getting into the game, essentially countered all of the new player's spells.

After the game, I took him aside, explained what we were trying to achieve here and we sat down for a second game with Skullbriar replacing Talrand. It turns out that he's land light and doesn't play much during the game but he does make up for it by referring to every female character played during the game (Liliana, Jeleva, Derevi & a few angels) as b*t*h*s and a few other things I can't type here. I couldn't believe it, the guy is like 30 years old, not some thoughless teen. We're playing at work with people from varying levels of management but it didn't matter what we said, he just wouldn't stop. We were no-where near finished when I turned to Jess and asked her if she wanted to keep playing at which she practically ran away from the game in relief.

She said afterwards that she didn't feel comfortable saying anything as she's new and the tirade didn't seem to be directed at her specifically but she has no intention of repeating the experience. Can't blame her.

I shared my feelings with Talrad/Skullbriar but he was pooh-poohing me by the end of the first sentence about censorship.

Man, I'm so annoyed with him right now.

I know a guy just like that, he's the reason I went back on my word and started running unfun cards again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-21 1:22 pm 

Joz wrote:
I know a guy just like that, he's the reason I went back on my word and started running unfun cards again.

When someone's transgressions go beyond the game, so must the appropriate response. If someone is creating a toxic environment, and they won't listen to you when you tell them they are doing so... it may be time to cut them loose.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-26 10:57 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
bclare wrote:
Finally, he casts Obliterate. No goal in sight; the board state wasn't impossible, his stuff wasn't indestructible, he didn't have any kind of combo. Just cast Obliterate.

:facepalm: Out of curiosity, were you able to figure out if he was a troll or just genuinely stupid? Or even worse, was he one of those guys that knows he's doing something stupid but does it anyways "because he's bored"?

No idea. Anyway I haven't seen him since, and I hope nothing like that will happen at BNG pre-release this weekend.

On the topic of bad games, not necessarily bad players: Played the other night with the following decks
Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Me)
Thraximundar (reanimator / living death deck, guy I play with a lot)
Mimeoplasm (guy who likes playing absolute jank whenever possible)
Azami (guy who's still getting into EDH and likes to play weird combos)

I played Zo-Zu the Punisher on turn 3, and to my delight the mimeoplasm deck still cracked a Burnished Hart, and then Mimeoplasmed the Hart and did it again. The game was bad though because it ended up with Jin Gitaxias in play (mimeoplasm) and Omniscience (azami) but nobody could find a win condition so we just dragged on for a dozen turns until somebody finally won, I don't even remember how

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 4:31 am 

I have a friend who just can't keep his Johnnyness in check sometimes. He plays mainly Animar and newly Zegana. There are just too many times where he gets lost in tinkering with his permanents, tutoring more creatures, generating more mana, drawing more cards and keeps going for many minutes, while me and my other friend wait in a state of frustration, since those kinds of situations usually have only two possible outcomes:
1) He makes a huge board position that gets inevitably Wrathed and he dies to our combined forces, only to be told that he could have easily killed both of us some three turns ago or...
2) he realizes it as soon as he finishes making his huge board position and kills us.
These turns of his are prolonged even further by the fact that he is both very thorough in his contemplations and very unfocused. Always a true Izzet, when he cracks a fetchland, he spends a minute pondering what dual he should find. Just don't get me started on creature tutors...

Sounds like a rant, but he's one of my best friends and a great guy, but he alone makes our game 40% longer than they have to be and that time could be spent on playing more games.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 4:58 am 

Sounds like you need to talk to him about it so at the very least he is aware that he's causing issues.

I used to have a similar issue where a lot of my decks would just "go off" in a long 10+ minute turn and then win. Eventually I realized that it was detracting from the game and cut back on tutors and some of the more complex interactions to speed up the game. ...and I stopped playing Omnath. I can't be trusted with huge draw engines and 100's of mana. >.>

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 5:09 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Sounds like you need to talk to him about it so at the very least he is aware that he's causing issues.

I did.
Epsilon wrote:
I used to have a similar issue where a lot of my decks would just "go off" in a long 10+ minute turn and then win. Eventually I realized that it was detracting from the game and cut back on tutors and some of the more complex interactions to speed up the game. ...and I stopped playing Omnath. I can't be trusted with huge draw engines and 100's of mana. >.>

That's unfortunately what happens in my Riku from time to time. I don't play him that much anymore for that reason. And that's without extra-turn effects (sans Temporal Mastery).

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 5:18 am 

Antis wrote:
Epsilon wrote:

I did.

Well you did say he was one of your best friends... That leaves the option of physical violence wide open.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 5:30 am 

Antis wrote:
I have a friend who just can't keep his Johnnyness in check sometimes. He plays mainly Animar and newly Zegana. There are just too many times where he gets lost in tinkering with his permanents, tutoring more creatures, generating more mana, drawing more cards and keeps going for many minutes, while me and my other friend wait in a state of frustration, since those kinds of situations usually have only two possible outcomes:
1) He makes a huge board position that gets inevitably Wrathed and he dies to our combined forces, only to be told that he could have easily killed both of us some three turns ago or...
2) he realizes it as soon as he finishes making his huge board position and kills us.
These turns of his are prolonged even further by the fact that he is both very thorough in his contemplations and very unfocused. Always a true Izzet, when he cracks a fetchland, he spends a minute pondering what dual he should find. Just don't get me started on creature tutors...

Sounds like a rant, but he's one of my best friends and a great guy, but he alone makes our game 40% longer than they have to be and that time could be spent on playing more games.

So build him a deck without tutors? Maybe that'll get the point across.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next