Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-22 4:21 am

Post subject: Played 3 four player pods at SCGLA Open
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-26 8:07 am 

Hit up SCGLA this past weekend and took a BUG Oath of Druids deck to play in the Commander side events. $5 entry to win $20 credit at the booth.

Game 1:
Opponents - Thassa, Progenitus, and some UB that I forget

I drop Polluted Delta and get my Underground sea. The next few turns are pretty slow as everyone is kind of just feeling things out. I play Tropical Island and transmute Muddle the Mixture to get Oath. No one really has an idea of what I'm playing but they don't like me triggering Oath so it gets bounced twice. It sticks on the last try and once I trigger it I Yawgmoth's Will into the win.

Roughly turn 7

Game 2:
Opponents - Animar, the same UB player from game 1, and something else.

I combo out on turn 4 with no responses.

Game 3:
Opponents - Mayael, Karona, and Oloro

Craziest 4 player game I've ever had. I had all the pieces needed to start in the beginning but the Karona player had all these randomizing cards. Oloro guy and me lost all of our permanents to some card through dice rolls. Everything reset kind of. While I was drawing just to stabilize again, the Mayael player played Iona naming blue. Oloro guy played Metamorph copying it naming green. All of us have green and blue in our generals SO NO ONE COULD PLAY THEM.

Eventually through a Mother of Runes Oloro guy got Mayael player down to 3 and Karona guy was at 6. I exsanguinated for 12 and killed those 2. Played Mimeo to try and win but he got stolen. I didn't really have an answer and gave Oloro guy the win.

2 out of 3 isn't bad. Got a few cards I wanted.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Played 3 four player pods at SCGLA Open
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-26 9:12 am 

Combo-ing out on turn 4, while it may be your idea of fun, isn't a lot of fun to play against. But hey, if you're just playing to win a few packs in side events, then do whatever you want.

However, I wanted to point out: Phyrexian Metamorph is a blue spell. If Iona is out naming blue, the other player can't cast metamorph.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-26 10:39 am 

bclare wrote:
Combo-ing out on turn 4, while it may be your idea of fun, isn't a lot of fun to play against. But hey, if you're just playing to win a few packs in side events, then do whatever you want.

That's true, but be fair - he posted the results of a tournament in a "Tournament Reports" forum. Seems like a legit thing to do, whatever the motivation behind doing so may be.

bclare wrote:
However, I wanted to point out: Phyrexian Metamorph is a blue spell. If Iona is out naming blue, the other player can't cast metamorph.

THIS, however is a good point. I guess you could assume he meant Oloro played Reanimate on his metamorph in the yard and copied it that way, but that of course is not what he said. EDIT: I mean he also said "All of us had green and blue in our generals", which is clearly not true of Oloro or Mayael, so maybe it's just a mis-type.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-26 12:01 pm 

Iona named blue by the Mayael player and the Metamorph should not have resolved.

And I meant to say blue or green in our generals.

My whole goal was to try and win as many pods so I could get credit for the booth.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-26 12:52 pm 

And there you have it folks. Straight from the hipster's mouth, er, keyboard.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-27 12:43 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
And there you have it folks. Straight from the hipster's mouth, er, keyboard.

Is this meant to sound upset? People fishing for packs/credit is basically why it's not worth it to play in side events at big tournaments.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-27 5:18 pm 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
Is this meant to sound upset?

Um... no.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-28 5:31 am 

The best EDH side events are the ones that are +EV because people feel like they already won and aren't pushed to just crush their enemies.

I remember at PT Philly the EDH pods they just handed your group 4 packs, 4 Ajani promos (which dealers were buying for the cost of entry), and told you to go have fun. I think I only saw one guy with a combo deck, and he had borrowed it from a friend and had no idea how it worked. Obviously most dealers can't match WotC by handing out promos, but nondollar rewards that are higher retail than the cost of entry (e.g. everybody gets a pack, then you get a pack for each person you eliminate) help with these also. Everybody wins, and the events end up being an organizational aid for people looking for games instead of cutthroat bloodbaths.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-28 6:23 am 

I was actually surprised by the lack of combo. Some of the LGS I play at have some insanely fast Azami decks. I've never run into a Hermit Druid deck but whenever I see a player with a 5 color commander I think he's playing that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-28 1:49 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Aggro_zombies wrote:
Is this meant to sound upset?

Um... no.

Ah, okay, sorry then.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile