Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 2:31 am

Post subject: Shared Fate mana colour interaction
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-16 4:49 am 

Shared Fate lets you play cards from other people's decks.

If your commander is, Thrun, the last Troll, and you have a Lightning Bolt exiled face down with Shared Fate, can you cast the bolt if you played a mountain using Shared Fate?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Shared Fate mana colour interaction
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-16 4:14 pm 

No. The EDH rules explicitly say that you cannot generate mana outside of your color identity. Shared Fate is one of those cards that people can use to troll you. Celestial Dawn is another.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-16 9:35 pm 

Sid is right, except that Celestial Dawn only effects you so you can't really troll other people with it. Although Celestial Dawn is pretty amazing with Shared Fate since it would actually let you cast that Lightning Bolt.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-17 1:32 am 

MrCool wrote:
Sid is right, except that Celestial Dawn only effects you so you can't really troll other people with it. Although Celestial Dawn is pretty amazing with Shared Fate since it would actually let you cast that Lightning Bolt.

Have you ever been Donated Celestial Dawn by a Zedruu player? (While your own Commander was non-white, I mean?)

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-17 5:55 am 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
MrCool wrote:

Have you ever been Donated Celestial Dawn by a Zedruu player? (While your own Commander was non-white, I mean?)

That.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-17 10:25 am 

ok

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-17 10:51 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
No. The EDH rules explicitly say that you cannot generate mana outside of your color identity. Shared Fate is one of those cards that people can use to troll you. Celestial Dawn is another.

Thank you so much for answering this question :)

May I ask what the purpose of this mana generation rule is?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-17 11:03 am 

iplaymtg wrote:

Its a restriction mostly to keep from stealing other players permanents and then playing them off color.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-19 12:40 am 

Quote:
Its a restriction mostly to keep from stealing other players permanents and then playing them off color.

Which it's completely non-sense, since it's anyway possible to do that (see daxos of meletis for example)

It's absurd to give erratas on cards (which it's different from the others rules restriction of the format). city of brass or exotic orchard should do exactly what is written in the card text. It's completely counterintuitive to make a rule which would be effective only in narrow situations.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-19 1:02 am 

Uriel wrote:
Quote:

It's completely counterintuitive to make a rule which would be effective only in narrow situations.

I agree -- but I don't agree with the implication that this particular rule only applies in narrow situations. There are many ways to get a hold of a permanent of someone else's. If you have less ability to capitalize on it, then the rule is working, and isn't a "narrow" situation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-19 1:35 am 

Uriel wrote:
Which it's completely non-sense, since it's anyway possible to do that (see daxos of meletis for example)

Using a card that was just printed as a reason a rule that's been around for years is somehow invalid is nonsense.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-19 2:26 am 

iplaymtg wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

It's there for flavor reasons. Teneb is a BGW General. This means he doesn't know U or R and can't do anything with it.

Now of course flavor is very subjective, and I don't want to start a six page whine fest wether or not this should be the reason, works consistently or "sucks because even MaRo said hybrids should be playable in partial off-color decks", but this is afaik the most accurate answer to your question.

Uriel wrote:
Quote:

It's absurd to give erratas on cards (which it's different from the others rules restriction of the format). city of brass or exotic orchard should do exactly what is written in the card text. It's completely counterintuitive to make a rule which would be effective only in narrow situations.

It's also odd that you can put a Bant Panorama in a mono-W deck (or BR deck for that matter). Some cards work around the rules in ways that might not be desirable, but we want the rules to be something that you can explain in 5 minuits, not a 20-page document that covers all known exceptions.

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-19 10:35 am 

Quote:
, but we want the rules to be something that you can explain in 5 minuits, not a 20-page document that covers all known exceptions.

That's exactly the point. It's just more problematic to say "No, your Sen Triplets can't cast that card despite the fact you got a Chromatic Lantern in play but the player with Daxos of Meletis can", then simply follow the regular magic rules.

One thing is to remember a bunch of rules just before the game start, completely another matter it's to inform people of new rules while already has been taken several games.

I know lot's of people who just don't believe me when I told them about the mana source special issue of the EDH and that counterdict the statement that the rules "you can explain in 5 minuits, not a 20-page document that covers all known exceptions"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-19 10:49 am 

That doesn't contradict anything. It just means you forgot to tell them one rule that takes 10 seconds to explain...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-19 1:08 pm 

Uriel wrote:
That's exactly the point. It's just more problematic to say "No, your Sen Triplets can't cast that card despite the fact you got a Chromatic Lantern in play but the player with Daxos of Meletis can", then simply follow the regular magic rules.
Daxos has a specific clause right on the card. Thats not a rules issue, thats a reading issue.

"You can't generate mana outside your color identity" literally takes 15 seconds.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile