Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-15 12:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Planeswalkers as Commanders
AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 2:15 am 

Planeswalkers as Commanders

In the Commander 2014 pre-con decks you made it so certain Planeswalkers could be Commanders.

Will we see a time when all Planeswalkers could be a Commander?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Planeswalkers as Commanders
AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 2:26 am 

CMDTower wrote:
Planeswalkers as Commanders

In the Commander 2014 pre-con decks you made it so certain Planeswalkers could be Commanders.

Will we see a time when all Planeswalkers could be a Commander?

Not likely. I don't remember what or whom exactly, but I know I've heard more than once RC members saying that such a change probably won't happen.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 2:36 am 

The Commander 2014 planeswalkers were also specifically made with the intent that being a commander wouldn't break them. Of the currently existing non-commander planeswalkers, some are fine to lead a deck and others would make for a really miserable experience to play against.

Your best bet is to talk to your regular play group to see if the one you have in mind is one that they will allow.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 3:59 am 

JJackson wrote:
The Commander 2014 planeswalkers were also specifically made with the intent that being a commander wouldn't break them. Of the currently existing non-commander planeswalkers, some are fine to lead a deck and others would make for a really miserable experience to play against.

Your best bet is to talk to your regular play group to see if the one you have in mind is one that they will allow.

I can understand that point of view from the design perspective but all commanders can be made to be miserable to play against, it's really whats inside the deck that matters in my opinion. It would all have to go back to the social contract.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 4:00 am 

JJackson wrote:

Also, I didn't want that to sound negative as I really do appreciate the conversation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 4:16 am 

CMDTower wrote:
I can understand that point of view from the design perspective but all commanders can be made to be miserable to play against, it's really whats inside the deck that matters in my opinion. It would all have to go back to the social contract.

Right. It is just that you can expect a miserable game when you sit across from a Liliana of the Veil or Ajani Vengeant deck. Somebody would have to put in some hard work for those not to be massive funsucks, where with Ajani Goldmane they'd have to put in hard work to make it into an awful deck to play against.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 4:37 am 

JJackson wrote:
CMDTower wrote:

Right. It is just that you can expect a miserable game when you sit across from a Liliana of the Veil or Ajani Vengeant deck. Somebody would have to put in some hard work for those not to be massive funsucks, where with Ajani Goldmane they'd have to put in hard work to make it into an awful deck to play against.

I can understand that. I would think they would get banned just like other Commanders that are over powered. It could be managed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 4:47 am 

CMDTower wrote:
I can understand that. I would think they would get banned just like other Commanders that are over powered. It could be managed.

Anything can be managed -- but is the benefit gained worth the trouble it causes?

Un- cards could be added in and managed, but it's generally accepted that the benefit of doing so isn't worth the headaches that would be caused from it; but it can be done. Just doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it.

Also, one of the good things about this format is the smaller ban list. Making a rule change where you know you're going to have to increase it should be approached with caution (not saying you automatically don't want to -- just use caution)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 5:17 am 

Carthain wrote:
CMDTower wrote:

Anything can be managed -- but is the benefit gained worth the trouble it causes?

Un- cards could be added in and managed, but it's generally accepted that the benefit of doing so isn't worth the headaches that would be caused from it; but it can be done. Just doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it.

Also, one of the good things about this format is the smaller ban list. Making a rule change where you know you're going to have to increase it should be approached with caution (not saying you automatically don't want to -- just use caution)

I can certainly respect that answer. So my next question would be:

How would the format benefit and how would it be hurt by making Planeswalkers Commanders?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 5:27 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I'll answer both of your questions:

1. No. We don't issue format-level errata, and it's not a change we're even remotely interested in making.

2. Yes. Although it wouldn't be catastrophic, it'd hurt the simplicity and elegance of the rules set.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-21 5:43 am 

Sheldon wrote:
I'll answer both of your questions:

1. No. We don't issue format-level errata, and it's not a change we're even remotely interested in making.

2. Yes. Although it wouldn't be catastrophic, it'd hurt the simplicity and elegance of the rules set.

Thank you for answering both questions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-22 12:33 am 

I hope I haven't come across as too much of a Negative Nelly in this thread. I think that having a PW-lead deck is a great thing to have around as long as it is something that your group is cool with. It just isn't worth the extra bannings to make it the default rule of the format. As always, do what your group finds fun!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-22 12:59 am 

As a house rule, I'm sure it's fine. It's just the cost incurred as a global change that it's an issue. Local groups can manage additions to the rules/ban list as suits them, and make it as big or small as they feel that they like.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-22 6:37 am 

JJackson wrote:
I hope I haven't come across as too much of a Negative Nelly in this thread. I think that having a PW-lead deck is a great thing to have around as long as it is something that your group is cool with. It just isn't worth the extra bannings to make it the default rule of the format. As always, do what your group finds fun!

No, you didn't come off as negative. I appreciate feedback and your feedback is awesome :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Apr-22 6:38 am 

Carthain wrote:
As a house rule, I'm sure it's fine. It's just the cost incurred as a global change that it's an issue. Local groups can manage additions to the rules/ban list as suits them, and make it as big or small as they feel that they like.

A very valid point!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next