Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-24 5:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad EDH players/games
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-04 3:06 am 

Moved to the Cool Plays thread.

Name: Enraged Wilds
General: Marath, Will of the Wild
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Draconic Domination
General: The Ur-Dragon
Archetype: Midrange

Last edited by Maluko on 2015-Jan-04 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-04 5:21 pm 

How was that a bad player/game? That should probably have been in the cool plays thread if anything. Pretty good plays though.

A few days ago I'm playing a game at the LGS and there's a new guy at the table with a pretty underwhelming GAAIV deck. The other players were Nahiri, Grenzo, and I was playing my new Feldon deck.

The Nahiri player drops an Emeria, with 5 or 6 plains out already. I've got a Valakut, with 5 mountains and several good utility lands out. Grenzo didn't have any non basics worth noting and GAAIV had two that just tapped for either color of mana. On my turn, I play From the Ashes even though it impacted me the most just to get rid of Emeria. It had no downside for GAAIV but got rid of a now active Valakut and soon to be active Emeria. The GAAIV player wastes a Dissipate on it. I then use a board wipe that he should have instead countered and he never recovered.

Later that game, I had six valakut triggers in a single turn which was pretty funny but ultimately could not overcome the advantage that Emeria granted the Nahiri player and he eventually won.

Why would you counter a "friendly" land destruction spell that has 0 impact on your board but kills 2-3 must answer non-basics others are going to be controlling the game with? The game spiraled out of control because of his poor counter decision and immediately excluded him from the rest of the game since the game turned into Feldon vs Nahiri at that point.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-04 11:06 pm 

Oh shit, I posted this on the wrong forum topic. I am so sorry!! :lol:
I already moved it to the cool plays thread.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-12 2:23 am 

Had a rage-quit at work from the Xenagos, God of Revels payer who delights in one-shoting people because he had a Nettlevine Blight played on his Xenagos, God of Revels. This was around turn 7-8 and everyone was settling down after the initial flurry of trying not to die to the usual "Cradle + elves + Xenagos + monster" start.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-12 10:49 am 

Wait... he ragequit over someone temporarily dealing with his general? :? :facepalm:

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-12 7:30 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Wait... he ragequit over someone temporarily dealing with his general? :? :facepalm:

Yep, when we called him on it he just whined some more and walked off. I'm sure it was just the result of a bad day but it was amusing to watch.

I think his main issue was that he didn't have a means to kill the next target and the Blight would slowly eat his board. No one thought to mention that all he needed to do was lose devotion before it triggered so the Blight would fall off....

It also didn't stop him from top-decking a monster and killing the owner of the Blight either right away or from the turn he replayed his Xenagos onwards before the Blight became really problematic.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-04 7:06 am 

If there's one thing worse than losing to broken decks, is losing to broken decks because the other players at the table have terrible, terrible threat assessment capabilities. We were four players at the table. The guy that was piloting The Mimeoplasm summons a Consecrated Sphinx on turn 4. Another guy, piloting Sliver Overlord, has two mana open. And what does he do? He wastes a Reprisal on a Spectral Force attacking him on the next turn...

The Mimeoplasm guy then later copies his own Constipated Sphinx... twice... Fortunately I can deal with the situation with Descent of the Dragons... to which he simply shrugs and reanimates his sphinx with Necromancy. With so many draws he finally lands the dreaded Prophet of Kruphix. Fortunately the other guy piloting Child of Alara had Vein Drinker on his side of the table, so if the Mimeoplasm guy decided not to destroy it before his turn came, we were safe. But instead of destroying the Prophet with the vampire, he uses all his mana to cast Allied Strategies :facepalm:

You can guess what happened after that. We lost the game, I got really pissed off because the other two players completely and utterly failed to realize how much of a threat Prophet and Sphinx are, and we all got into a very ugly discussion when the game ended.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-20 11:27 am 

If the following text is hard to read, it is because I'm in the midst of a great rage.

I had what I would like to call, one of the most miserable and anti-climatic games of my EDH career.

It started off as a 4-way between myself with Kozilek, vs. Elesh Norn vs. Titania vs. Hokori.

Now, I've faced off against this particular Titania deck on several occasions, and always lost to it, and the other two are new to me. We start the game off reasonably, I get the "god hand" of Sol Ring, Mind Stone, Codex Shredder and a bunch of lands. Both Elesh Norn and Titania have decent starts. Hokori is stuck on a one-land hand with Expedition Map and doesn't draw another land for several turns.

I devote the majority of my resources to denying Titania Crucible of Worlds (milled it right off the top thanks to his Oracle of Mul Daya and my Shredder) and I eventually stabalize at 1 life thanks to a Batterskull + Skullclamp equipped Doom Engine; a Mystifying Maze and some goat tokens.

During this 2-hour slugfest back and forth between myself, and Elesh Norn with Titania sitting on the sideline slinging the occasional spell...Hokori decides that its time to drop a bunch of mana rocks (still only on a few lands) and a Torpor Orb...I'm fine with that. I I slowly beat Elesh Norn back into control after his X=7 White Sun's Zenith.

Now, let me shorten the rest of the story down:

2 Hours into the game, Hokori, who has done nothing and only stayed alive on 4-5 lands and a few mana rocks, and being utterly ignored - decides to blow up all the everything, starting with a Soulscour into an Austere Command (artifacts.)

Well, gee. That was a fun fucking game. Was. If two hours of my time had actually been worth something. And the worst part - the fucker playing Hokori didn't even seem to give a damn about turning what was almost a done game (and fun, for the other players) into a a shitfest of "hey, time to reboot this game when I should have just scooped hours ago and joined another game."

He didn't show any sort of any emotion in his action, just roboticially went through it. And the only thing that prevented the other players from scooping along with me, right then an there - was I had strip mined his Lotus Vale when he attempted to untap it with Candelabra - because his end game plan was World Queller. That's it...just a fucking World Queller to win the game. Two + hours into the game, he was going to spend the next (29+8+36)/4 turns, swinging with World Queller.

This is all after he took back an attack, that I activated and blocked with a man land; and another take back of not taking two damage from his own Ancient Tomb, as I sacrificed my Doom Engine and was about to Staff of Nin him to death.
"I'll attack you with Hokori," "ok, I'll activate my Mutavault and give it +1/+1 from Blinkmoth" "I'm not attacking."
"Add [mana to my manapool, and use Ancient Tomb], and cast [this]." * I ask him what his life total is, which is 7.) And since he's passing priority I move to activate my High Market -> doom engine, and Staff of Nin. He untaps his Ancient Tomb and then doesn't cast his thing....

So, lets take a look at what the game was:

Elesh Norn (creatures, no combos that I could see), vs. Titania Lands/Sac/Value vs. Colorlesss.Dec that uses Koz for draw power vs....a guy that sit there and did nothing for two hours rather then scoop out and find another game all so he could set off his "end game masterplan of invalidating 2+ hours of game play for three other players." and taking back twice....after fully committing.

Like, fuck you, man child with the robot face. Go back to playing Legacy or that Force of Will game so that I don't have to deal with your shit again - because I won't.

TL;DR: Dickbag that has done nothing the entire game, for more then two hours, takes away what is an otherwise fun game for three other people (and an almost assured win for me) and invalidates the entire night of gaming I had.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-20 3:08 pm 

Joz wrote:
If the following text is hard to read, it is because I'm in the midst of a great rage.

I had what I would like to call, one of the most miserable and anti-climatic games of my EDH career.

It started off as a 4-way between myself with Kozilek, vs. Elesh Norn vs. Titania vs. Hokori.

Now, I've faced off against this particular Titania deck on several occasions, and always lost to it, and the other two are new to me. We start the game off reasonably, I get the "god hand" of Sol Ring, Mind Stone, Codex Shredder and a bunch of lands. Both Elesh Norn and Titania have decent starts. Hokori is stuck on a one-land hand with Expedition Map and doesn't draw another land for several turns.

I devote the majority of my resources to denying Titania Crucible of Worlds (milled it right off the top thanks to his Oracle of Mul Daya and my Shredder) and I eventually stabalize at 1 life thanks to a Batterskull + Skullclamp equipped Doom Engine; a Mystifying Maze and some goat tokens.

During this 2-hour slugfest back and forth between myself, and Elesh Norn with Titania sitting on the sideline slinging the occasional spell...Hokori decides that its time to drop a bunch of mana rocks (still only on a few lands) and a Torpor Orb...I'm fine with that. I I slowly beat Elesh Norn back into control after his X=7 White Sun's Zenith.

Now, let me shorten the rest of the story down:

2 Hours into the game, Hokori, who has done nothing and only stayed alive on 4-5 lands and a few mana rocks, and being utterly ignored - decides to blow up all the everything, starting with a Soulscour into an Austere Command (artifacts.)

Well, gee. That was a fun fucking game. Was. If two hours of my time had actually been worth something. And the worst part - the fucker playing Hokori didn't even seem to give a damn about turning what was almost a done game (and fun, for the other players) into a a shitfest of "hey, time to reboot this game when I should have just scooped hours ago and joined another game."

He didn't show any sort of any emotion in his action, just roboticially went through it. And the only thing that prevented the other players from scooping along with me, right then an there - was I had strip mined his Lotus Vale when he attempted to untap it with Candelabra - because his end game plan was World Queller. That's it...just a fucking World Queller to win the game. Two + hours into the game, he was going to spend the next (29+8+36)/4 turns, swinging with World Queller.

This is all after he took back an attack, that I activated and blocked with a man land; and another take back of not taking two damage from his own Ancient Tomb, as I sacrificed my Doom Engine and was about to Staff of Nin him to death.
"I'll attack you with Hokori," "ok, I'll activate my Mutavault and give it +1/+1 from Blinkmoth" "I'm not attacking."
"Add [mana to my manapool, and use Ancient Tomb], and cast [this]." * I ask him what his life total is, which is 7.) And since he's passing priority I move to activate my High Market -> doom engine, and Staff of Nin. He untaps his Ancient Tomb and then doesn't cast his thing....

So, lets take a look at what the game was:

Elesh Norn (creatures, no combos that I could see), vs. Titania Lands/Sac/Value vs. Colorlesss.Dec that uses Koz for draw power vs....a guy that sit there and did nothing for two hours rather then scoop out and find another game all so he could set off his "end game masterplan of invalidating 2+ hours of game play for three other players." and taking back twice....after fully committing.

Like, fuck you, man child with the robot face. Go back to playing Legacy or that Force of Will game so that I don't have to deal with your shit again - because I won't.

TL;DR: Dickbag that has done nothing the entire game, for more then two hours, takes away what is an otherwise fun game for three other people (and an almost assured win for me) and invalidates the entire night of gaming I had.

I've had my share of shitfests, but this one takes the cake. I remember a game of mine where I was playing Derevi against Iona, Rith, and some Legends legend that I cannot remember where something pretty similar almost happened (I think it was a wrath and a geddon with a bunch of mana floated to cast Iona), except Rith was able to cast Fresh Meat EoT and slaughter everyone within two turns (as opposed to the 6 turns it would have taken for Iona to gen damage all of us to death).

There are just some generals that you know from the beginning are going to suck to play against. I think any mono-white gen with some sort of griefer attached is never anything you want to deal with. I don't think I've ever encountered a fun Hokori deck, nor have I encountered any players who pilot both Hokori and a different deck that isn't a complete waste of my time to play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-20 6:39 pm 

Maluko wrote:
Another guy, piloting Sliver Overlord, has two mana open. And what does he do? He wastes a Reprisal on a Spectral Force attacking him on the next turn...

Whose Spectral Force? If it was the Mimeo's beater, then yeah, that's weird. But if it were another player's SF... if I'm at a table, player A has the Sphinx or is clearly the top threat, and player B attacks me instead of player A, in that situation I might waste a Reprisal on Spectral Force to show player B that I could've solved his problem with player A. Perhaps not the optimal play (derp), but a clear signal to player B that his threat assessment is, well, derp. I can see how you got into a fight after the match though ;)

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Joz wrote:
TL;DR

I've had my share of shitfests, but this one takes the cake. I remember a game of mine where I was playing Derevi against Iona, Rith, and some Legends legend that I cannot remember where something pretty similar almost happened (I think it was a wrath and a geddon with a bunch of mana floated to cast Iona), except Rith was able to cast Fresh Meat EoT and slaughter everyone within two turns (as opposed to the 6 turns it would have taken for Iona to gen damage all of us to death).

There are just some generals that you know from the beginning are going to suck to play against.

Fresh meat! FRESH MEAT!

Seriously though, who sits down with Hokori or Iona and expect to have a fun game? But Soulscour + artifact wipe is the dumbest crapfest I've ever read about.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-21 1:30 am 

Hokori is just basically Cabal Minion-lite, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-25 2:19 pm 

Joz wrote:

This is why you don't let people take back moves... unless you know they're very new to the game. Certainly not in the situations you've listed where he's obviously taking back something cause it hurts him.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-25 2:49 pm 

JJackson wrote:

No.

Why?

I've faced off against Braids, Cabal Minion decks before. They aren't take-backing assholes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-25 7:39 pm 

Joz wrote:
JJackson wrote:

No.

Why?

I've faced off against Braids, Cabal Minion decks before. They aren't take-backing assholes.

That's only because everyone playing Braids knows they won't get away with a takeback.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-25 7:58 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
Joz wrote:
JJackson wrote:

No.

Why?

That's only because everyone playing Braids knows they won't get away with a takeback.

Also, mere numbers. "Take-backing assholes" requires being part of the group "Take-backers". "Take-backing assholes who play Braids" requires you to not only be a Take-Backer, but also a Banned General Player. You then have to be part of the tiny subgroup of the (pretty small) Banned General Players who would pick Braids over Erayo (who's more powerful), Griselbrand (who's less of a funsuck) and Rofellos (who is both). At the same time, you need to be in the group of people who happen to have at least one playgroup that is ok with you playing a banned general. And on top of all that, you need to suck at playing Magic so bad that while playing a general like Braids you screw up to the point where you need to take a move back.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next