Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-09 1:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-06 11:06 pm 

Time of Need seems pretty good in a deck with so many legends.

norbert88

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Kangee, Aerie Keeper
Verdeloth the Ancient
Phelddagrif
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Hakim, Loreweaver
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Horde of Notions
Thelon of Havenwood
Zedruu the Greathearted
Lyzolda the Blood Witch

In progress:
RG Tribal Werewolves/Humans/Wolves

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-10 4:14 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

It's true that the deck has a lot of legends, but none of them are very critical to the deck's success. They're just in there because they're old.

Normally it would be a good spell, simply because it's cheap and can search a mediocre toolbox. In this case, though, the non-Old Man space in the deck is very tight, and even with the options available with Time of Need, the power level of the card would be lower than most of the other spells in the deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-11 6:39 am 

I like the way you edited your decks with the ins and outs (and the reasons why, obv). Very pedagogical, and usefull for the ones spending a few time reading you.
Thanks.

I put Hoarder's Greed in my garza. It is wonderfull ! 4 to 6+ cards is really worth the cost. Perhaps could you try it in your oros...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-11 2:09 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:

The Pacifier Karn, Silver Golem!

Sculpting Steel
Serrated Arrows
Serum Tank
Sisay's Ring
Skyship Weatherlight
Snake Basket
Sol Ring

Dude, wheres the staff of domination action at?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-11 2:35 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Token wrote:
I put Hoarder's Greed in my garza. It is wonderfull ! 4 to 6+ cards is really worth the cost. Perhaps could you try it in your oros...

Great idea. I just put it into my Maga deck, and I can't wait to cast it with Haunted Crossroads in play. If it's awesome enough there, it might make an appearance in Oros as well, but I don't usually like to use the same cards in multiple decks (unless they're sufficiently fun and amazing).

X50isdafutureX wrote:
Dude, wheres the staff of domination action at?

I tried it out in there, but I didn't really like it. The problem was that Staff of Domination required so much mana. Karn easily make tons of the stuff every turn, but he always has more than enough to do, so the Staff just never got activated. Staff of Domination was in play during a couple of games, but all it ever did was attack for 3, so it got cut.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-11 2:43 pm 

I see some awesome combo involving Karn, Staff of Domination and an animated Serrated Arrows/Temporal Aperture/Urza's Blueprints/something else.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-11 3:24 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

I must be severely missing something, because I just don't understand why Staff of Domination is so exciting to so many people.

hi-val wrote:
I see some awesome combo involving Karn, Staff of Domination and an animated Serrated Arrows/Temporal Aperture/Urza's Blueprints/something else

By 'awesome combo', do you mean '9: Use Temporal Aperture again'? Please don't take that statement as sarcastic or rude, I'm just curious if there's something that I don't see.

I just can't imagine Staff of Domination being anything other than an ultra-expensive Voltaic Key/Jayemdae Tome/Icy Manipulator. Unless Metalworker is in play, of course.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-11 5:06 pm 

Yes, basically when I call things awesome, it's translated as "really cool effect but dreadfully overcosted and hard to set up". I mean if I was using Staff on an animated Blueprints, I'd probably be the happiest possible ever. It'll not happen though.

Staff is neat since it does a lot. Ally getting attacked? Tap down the attacking creatures. Need to make a blocker? Untap your guy. Etc.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-15 4:39 am 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
I must be severely missing something, because I just don't understand why Staff of Domination is so exciting to so many people.

hi-val wrote:
I see some awesome combo involving Karn, Staff of Domination and an animated Serrated Arrows/Temporal Aperture/Urza's Blueprints/something else

By 'awesome combo', do you mean '9: Use Temporal Aperture again'? Please don't take that statement as sarcastic or rude, I'm just curious if there's something that I don't see.

I just can't imagine Staff of Domination being anything other than an ultra-expensive Voltaic Key/Jayemdae Tome/Icy Manipulator. Unless Metalworker is in play, of course.

Not looking at Karn for the moment, but my own Maga deck (I love my Maga deck, MBC has always been a favorite archetype of mine) has Staff in the deck because a lot of the options on the staff become more viable since you have lots and lots of mana to spend it on, and the Staff + Magus of the Coffers becomes an infinite mana combo with about 7 swamps out - and Maga is the perfect mana sink.

A couple more suggestions - adding Vesuva in the Maga deck will give you Swamps x 6 if you have the Coffers out already. Also, I prefer Phyrexian Reclamation to Haunted Crossroads as a recursion enchantment. It's cheaper to cast than Crossroads and gets the card back into your hand.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-15 10:42 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Cod wrote:
A couple more suggestions - adding Vesuva in the Maga deck will give you Swamps x 6 if you have the Coffers out already. Also, I prefer Phyrexian Reclamation to Haunted Crossroads as a recursion enchantment. It's cheaper to cast than Crossroads and gets the card back into your hand.

Staff would be good in Maga; I often have a ton of mana on hand that I can't use each turn. I don't think that I'll include either that or Vesuva, though (they're rare).

Phyrexian Reclamation, though, seems like a great card! I don't know how I managed to miss it for so long. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-15 5:39 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:

Phyrexian Reclamation, though, seems like a great card! I don't know how I managed to miss it for so long. Thanks!

Phyrexian Reclamation +Urborg Syphon Mage is one of my favorite "locks" in EDH. It's a sick card, especially for peasant formats.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-17 8:45 pm 

with the massive amount of mana available for your Karn deck, why not Tower of Fortunes. 8 mana shouldnt be overwhelming to get for a draw 4 every turn.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-17 9:12 pm 

yeah i also don't see what everyone is so up on staff of domination it's ok but usually one of the first cards i cut from a deck..i also don't see how good staff of domination+metalworker+karn+hand full of cards... way too much for a combo for my tastes..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Mar-07 3:23 pm 

OLDMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! = best deck evar

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-21 1:11 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I'm feeling... so... angry. Blue mana... islands... so confusing. Must... SMASH!!! I have AVAILABLE MANA. I must USE IT NOW. ATTACK YOU FOR FIFTY FIVE DAMAGES. YESSSSSSS.

Stonebrow, the Angriest Krosan Hero!

THERE ARE 2 PLANESWALKERS THEY ARE

Garruk Wildspeaker
Sarkhan Vol

THERE ARE A LOT OF CREATURES OH JEEZ COUNT THEM YOURSELF FUUUUU-

Akroma, Angel of Fury
Anger
Boartusk Liege
Brawn
Brooding Saurian (MY CREATURES ARE THE BIGGEST AND THEY ARE ALL MINE1)
Chameleon Colossus (UNREASONABLY LARGE)
CLOUDTHRESHER
Deus of Calamity
Dragon Mage (WIZARDS ARE ONLY OK IF THEY BREATH FIRE)
Eternal Witness (so tiny ;()
Fertilid
Forgotton Ancient (WHAT 0 POWER?! oh, okay nevermind)
Fumiko the Lowblood (INTO THE RED ZONE)
Genesis (VALHALLA@@@)
Greater Gargadon
Heartless Hidetsugu
Hystrodon
Indrik Stomphowler
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa (reminiscing about Krosa High with Stonebrow)
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Knollspine Dragon
Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Lhurgoyf (it doesn't say it in real numbers, but he's really 33/34)
Primordial Sage
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Shivan Wurm
Siege-Gang Commander
Silvos, Rogue Elemental (punchy!!!)
Stalking Vengeance (GROSS COLD REVENGE NO WAY)
Taurean Mauler
Viashino Heretic, Mirror Breaker
Vigor (6/6 COURAGE ELEMENTAL RARR)
Viridian Zealot
Weatherseed Treefolk (WHY CANT YOU BE LIKE WEATHERSEED TREEFOLK HE IS NOT A WIMP "WAAH I DIED" wuss)
Wickerbough Elder
Wilderness Elemental

WHAT THE- I GUESS THERE ARE 4 SORCERIES. THEY ARE NOT PERMANENTS :P

Kodama's Reach (oh this one is two permanents that is okay)
Search for Tomorrow (this one too :D)
Warp World
Wheel of Fortune

OKASY SO THERE IS 1 INSTANT BUT I CAN ONLY DO IT IN COMBAT OKAY. ITS

Savage Beating (it really is, too!)

ENCHANTMENTS: )9)
i don't have much to say about them because they dont attack >:(

Fecundity
Fires of Yavimaya
Foster
Greater Good (most cards drawn -ever-)
In the Web of War
OVERABUNDANCE
Primal Rage
Pyrohemia
Rancor
Sylvan Library (I take 8-)

MORE LIKE SMARTIFACTS 98)[I]

COALITION RElic
Gruul War Plow
Lightning Greaves
Loxodon Warhammer
Min
d Stone
Phyrexian Processor (MMM FEEL THE BURN)
Skullclamp
Sol Ring

LAND (I HAVE ENOUGH LAND OKAY I'M NOT CUTTING ANY MORE CREATURES)

Blinkmoth Nexus
Dust Bowl (f u maze of ith)
Fire-Lit Thicket
Forest x 8
Forgotten Cave
Ghitu Encampment
Grove of the Burnwillows
Gruul Turf
Karplusan Forest
Mishra's Factory
Mossfire Valley
Mosswort Bridge
Mountain x 7
Reflecting Pool
Shivan Oasis
Skarrg, the RAGE pits
Spinerock Knoll
Stomping Ground
Strip Mine (f u maze of ith)
Terminal Moraine
Tranquil Thicket
Treetop Village
Wasteland (f u maze of ith)
Wooded Foothills

Edit:
Out - Birds of Paradise; In - Harmonize
Out - Talisman of Impulse; In - Sakura-Tribe Elder
Out - Fledgeling Dragon; In - Avatar of Fury
Out - Silklash Spider; In - Primordial Sage
Out - Centaur Glade; In - Foster
Out - Mind's Eye; In - Hystrodon
Out - Harmonize; In - Wickerbough Elder
Out - Solemn Simulacrum; In - Warp World
Out - Countryside Crusher; In - Sarkhan Vol

Okay so, this is my Stonebrow deck. I built my Stonebrow deck to round out my EDH box. It has a lot of control decks, often with combo-finish elements to them. This deck is not like those decks because it is a lot angrier. You might have read words attributed to me in the past such as, "Red is underpowered in EDH," or, "Aggro is at a natural disadvantage." I was wrong. Rage is the only true emotion.

While building the deck, I wanted to make sure that I was Wrath-resistant up to at least 30 feet. I think that that was the main key to success. Things like Stalking Vengeance, Greater Good and haste make sure that it's hard to stem the bleeding, set the shattered bones, or shove your guts back in.

Interesting fact: Oddly enough, this is the deck that holds my personal record for "Most Cards Drawn Ever at One Time". I sacrificed Lhurgoyf to Greater Good, and drew well over half my deck!

Last edited by Ban Ki-moon on 2008-Oct-25 2:06 am, edited 7 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next