Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-13 6:25 am

Post subject: What cards do you refuse to play with/against?
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-16 7:46 am 

So the attitude around here seems in line with the RC's (heavily paraphrasing) "if you don't like it, don't play with the people running it or bitch at them til they stop" rules philosophy. So to sate my curiosity, I want to know, what cards/strategies do you absolutely refuse to play with or against?

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What cards do you refuse to play with/against?
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-16 9:29 am 

There might be a better place for your question, but in any case...

The Ban card X... it wins too many games in my area! thread probably contains most of what you're seeking.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-16 10:18 am 

No particular card, but I will not play against anything resembling generic goodstuff.dec.

The sad thing to me is that is all the vast majority of people play, glad I have a regular group.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-16 11:10 am 

I don't play extra turn cards (I would consider playing Lighthouse Chronologist, if I had one, since he's easily killable. But I don't own one, so it's a moot point)

There's nothing I won't play against once, but I won't play again against decks that stop me from playing (infinite counterspells, mana denial, tax effects from hell etc)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-16 1:53 pm 

I have a burning hatred of Capsize.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-16 3:10 pm 

Land destruct-based decks or players who do nothing but play infinite combos.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-16 11:45 pm 

Sorin Markov and Magister Sphinx are both supremely annoying cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 3:11 am 

Viperion wrote:
There's nothing I won't play against once, but I won't play again against decks that stop me from playing (infinite counterspells, mana denial, tax effects from hell etc)

Exactly this.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 3:22 am 

I will play at least one game against anything.

Probably the most annoying games I have played recently were against angry Om-nom-nom. It really isn't original to combo out with Amulet of Vigor and Scapeshift. When you drop commander on turn 4 and combo out turn 5 when playing against pirate tribal, you know what you were doing.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 3:27 am 

lumination wrote:
Viperion wrote:

Exactly this.

Once an opponent get to the point where they're just masturbating with cardboard (denying everyone a chance to play) I just straight up scoop and encourage others to do the same. Deny the annoying player the satisfaction of the 'win' and letting them get their stupid combos off.

It pisses them off and teaches them that maybe that playstyle isn't that fun after all.

http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=233412#p233412

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 3:59 am 

I don't refuse to play against anything specifically.

But if you time stretch and don't do something that resembles winning the game or taking two turns really friggin fast, there's a chance I won't want to play with you any more.

The second part to that would be a deck that just takes too long to play. A friend of mine just built Karametra and hasn't figured out how to get his searching and shuffling under control. He's fairly new to both the game and the format, so he gets some leeway.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 5:38 am 

niheloim wrote:
The second part to that would be a deck that just takes too long to play. A friend of mine just built Karametra and hasn't figured out how to get his searching and shuffling under control. He's fairly new to both the game and the format, so he gets some leeway.

I started just declaring whether I was getting forest or plains and keeping track with dice on my turn. That way I could deal with the actual searching off-turn and just shuffle once. It cuts down on a lot of wasted time, though sometimes I still have to actually do it the inefficient way (if I had a Seer's Sundial for example)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 2:22 pm 

Geddon
Vorinclex
Jin gitaxis
Iona

Those are the first that spring to mind. These cards I will aggressively hate out of a game (ie. openly complain to the owner and knock them out of the game ASAP despite significantly weakening my own position). There are several cards I avoid for reasons of not being annoying, like magister's sphinx and divining top, which I will make comment about (eg. "oh yay, now the we can add 2 more hours to our play time" for top), but wont attack so aggressively, especially if they are used reasonably, like one top per cycle and as quickly as possible.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-17 6:08 pm 

Here are some of the rules I hold myself to when building an EDH deck. No one I play with agrees with me on everything but we still play and talk about what we think makes games better. My friends and I eventually stopped playing Sol Ring and Mana Crypt whenever we play EDH casually.

1. Only tutor for basics or duals.
2. No infinite combos.
3. No cards that stop an opponent from casting a spell on their turn.
4. No cards that stop an opponent from drawing their card per turn.
5. No cards that stop an opponent from untapping on their turn.
6. No cards that mill.
7. No cards that take control of an opponent’s card or turn.
8. No cards that I think should be banned.
9. No extreme mana denial.
10. I must win by trying to reduce my opponent’s life to zero or with commander damage.
11. No cards that exile cards from the library, graveyard, hand, or stack.
12. Every card must be unique except lands.
13. No copying or cloning a creature.
14. No copying a spell.

There are exceptions because I created these rules for specific reasons. I made rule eleven because I didn't want to permanently take away the chance for an opponent's card to have an impact on the game. I don't mind playing cards like Memory Jar and Angel of Serenity because they end up returning the cards.

I've also changed my decks for reasons that aren't on this list. I took out Exsanguinate because it was winning me over half the games I won with my mono black deck. I cut Eternal Witness and Regrowth from my Selesnya deck because I felt they were reducing the diversity of the deck. Back when I was playing my foiled out Pauper EDH I would almost only cast Sprout Swarm and Capsize so I took those out a few months before I dismantled it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-18 3:36 am 

There is very little i have a moral objection to playing with or against. The key is just context. In my weekly tournament there is a bunch of combo and some stax and monoblack control bullshit, and i'm good with it. Would not take a casual deck there.
Would not play my tuned deck against casuals.
Would not play casual games with someone who only plays combo or wastes my time with bullshit.
Would not play a pod against Stax when everyone else intends to durdle with big stuff.
Would not play against 5 extra turns if the power level of the decks wasn't enough to hop to stop it.

There are things that i think are actual bullshit, like Cyclonic Rift, but i'll still play against it. Like anything though, taken to excess or casted over and over again qualifies as wasting time.

Last night i played a deck with virtually no removal or haste against a Nicol Bolas planeswalker and the field was empty otherwise on pretty much all 3 sides. I had Sheoldred Taken, Rampaging Baloths taken twice, Deadbridge Chant destroyed, and Dack Fayden as well. That player also cast Final Judgment 3 times, Merciless Eviction, and i had to hit him with Wrexial to cast Eviction too.
So it was kind of miserable but i mostly drew enough cards to keep casting stuff and was like "eh, okay, i mean i'm dead, here's some guys still".

Context i guess. That said, i probably will not play the deck i had against that one again because it was somewhat tuned and i should have actually lost a lot sooner, realistically.

Inkeyes22 wrote:
When you drop commander on turn 4 and combo out turn 5 when playing against pirate tribal, you know what you were doing.

Offtopic, but curious about your deck. Have a list on here? My girlfriend wanted to do a pirate/theft/nautical theme deck with some sub elements of horror and darkness, so i had a full art portrait done of her as an alter for Ramirez. It's insanely cool and she has a ton of altered lands i gave her but we both are still wanting to tidy up the deck with a little bit more flavor.

Offline Profile