Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 4:11 pm

Post subject: Sen Triplets questions
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 12:21 pm 

Looked through the search stuff, didn't see something that answers questions I have. A friend is putting together a Sen Triplets commander deck. On to the questions.

1. It's my understanding that a land like City of Brass played from my hand into the active zone of a Sen Triplets deck will then only produce W/U/B, not the full array of W/U/B/R/G...is that correct?
2. On the other hand, it seems only fair that Exotic Orchard played from my hand into the active zone of a Sen Triplets deck will produce any color I can...is that correct?
3. I think I read that mana rocks now will produce mana that is not your commander's color, if it's based on the opponent's color. Is that only for Fellwar Stone, or does it apply to all mana rocks? Will Darksteel Ingot only produce your commander's colors, or does it produce all five colors, now?
4. I haven't seen anything on Gatherer saying otherwise, so I have to assume that Sen Triplets does not allow the user to tap the opponent's lands to cast the opponent's spells. The offending player still has to use their own mana sources, correct?

The reason I ask is that Set Triplets seem to be hosed without Celestial Dawn in Commander since there aren't many ways to the player to generate other colors.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sen Triplets questions
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 12:33 pm 

The rule that used to restrict off-color mana production no longer exists.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 12:37 pm 

crokaycete wrote:

Meaning that any rainbow land will produce every color as it does in 60 card Magic (and mana rocks for that matter?) I looked through the rules section, and that doesn't seem to be the case at all, using their Pheldagriff example.

Also, still looking to know if Sen Triplets allows you to use the opponent's lands to cast the opponent's cards. I actually can't figure that out, and didn't see anything online.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 2:50 pm 

Arcane Archer wrote:
crokaycete wrote:

Meaning that any rainbow land will produce every color as it does in 60 card Magic (and mana rocks for that matter?) I looked through the rules section, and that doesn't seem to be the case at all, using their Pheldagriff example.

Also, still looking to know if Sen Triplets allows you to use the opponent's lands to cast the opponent's cards. I actually can't figure that out, and didn't see anything online.

Yes, rainbow lands produce all colors of mana in every deck. The example given in the rules says you can't have lands with a mana symbol of a color not your general's, but most rainbow lands don't have any mana symbols on them.

I don't see at all where you are mistakîng Sen Triplets to allow you to tap your opponent's lands. You can cast spells from their hand as if they were in yours, and that's it. I took a look at the Gatherer Rulings, and it talks about this.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 10:12 pm 

I read Gatherer, too. I didn't see it, lol. My guiding assumption was, however, that since it made no mention that I saw or recognized, then it would not permit that. Still wanted to confirm it. Thank you for the clarification.

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-28 12:34 am 

Arcane Archer wrote:
I read Gatherer, too. I didn't see it, lol. My guiding assumption was, however, that since it made no mention that I saw or recognized, then it would not permit that. Still wanted to confirm it. Thank you for the clarification.

5/1/2009: Playing a card this way works works just like playing any other card, with one exception: You're playing the card from your opponent's hand rather than your own. To be specific:
--some stuff, whatever
--To cast a non land card from your opponent's hand this way, you must pay it's mana cost.
--some stuff, whatever

The middle part is the important bit. You must pay the cost, and you pay costs according to the rules by tapping your permanents. Otherwise even the basic rules for Magic wouldn't make sense.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-28 5:28 am 

Yep! Totally missed that! :P Thanks!

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-03 11:11 am 

You can however play lands from you opponents hand as your own land drop for the turn. This comes into play under your control and can be used as normal.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile