Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 6:49 am

Post subject: Worst Fears and an exiled commander??
AgePosted: 2016-May-13 8:37 am 

Ok, my buddy used Worst Fears on me... long story short, he exiled MY commander with one of MY cards while it was MY turn. He claims that he makes all decisions during my turn (and by the official rules that looks correct) including what zone my commander goes... and he chose to exile it permanently.

Poof

Gone forever

Is that legit? There doesn't seem to be an official rule about another player choosing to make that call or not when they steal your turn. :facepalm:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Worst Fears and an exiled commander??
AgePosted: 2016-May-13 7:14 pm 

Yup, that's how it works. Controlling another player means that you get to make all game decisions for them, other than conceding.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-14 2:31 pm 

Unfortunately this is legal. Choosing to apply a replacement affect is a game decision that you would have made, and worst fears means that all those game decisions are made by the other player.

It's kind of a dick move, depending on what your commander is, but it is a legal one.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-15 12:31 am 

Could we not add it in as a rule of Commander though?

hypothetical wrote:
903.9a If a player needs to make a choice about replacing the zone his or her commander is going to while being controlled by another player, the controlling player must choose to replace the zone with going to the Command Zone.

I mean, there's an exception in the rules to prevent you from conceding for another player - so why not have one in commander that protects the commander from being permanently exiled the same way that rule 903.9 and 903.10 do?

Comp Rules wrote:
903.9. If a commander would be exiled from anywhere or put into its owner's hand, graveyard, or library from anywhere, its owner may put it into the command zone instead. This replacement effect may apply more than once to the same event. This is an exception to rule 614.5.

903.10. If a card is put into the exile zone face down from anywhere, and a player is allowed to look at that card in exile, the player must immediately do so. If it's a commander owned by another player, the player that looked at it turns it face up and puts it into the command zone.

It seems like controlling another player's turn to permanent get rid of their commander is the last loophole against the idea that you always have your commander ... why not get rid of the loophole?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-15 5:05 am 

Agreed. They are protected from tuck, being put in the graveyard, exile, or your hand.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-15 11:35 pm 

I would be fine with preventing players from taking over my turn to get rid of my commander.

Losing your turn like that can feel pretty harsh as it is, but to lose your commander in the process just adds to that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 11:59 am 

Personally, I'm against a rules change like that.

If your opponent takes control of your turn, it should feel like a violation. It's mind control, flavor wise it fits. Mind control is usually depicted that way.

And, if my opponent takes control of my turn, and I've invited that on myself some how, I just feel like I deserve all that's coming towards me that game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 12:32 pm 

Carthain wrote:
Could we not add it in as a rule of Commander though?

hypothetical wrote:
903.9a If a player needs to make a choice about replacing the zone his or her commander is going to while being controlled by another player, the controlling player must choose to replace the zone with going to the Command Zone.

I mean, there's an exception in the rules to prevent you from conceding for another player - so why not have one in commander that protects the commander from being permanently exiled the same way that rule 903.9 and 903.10 do?

Comp Rules wrote:
903.9. If a commander would be exiled from anywhere or put into its owner's hand, graveyard, or library from anywhere, its owner may put it into the command zone instead. This replacement effect may apply more than once to the same event. This is an exception to rule 614.5.

903.10. If a card is put into the exile zone face down from anywhere, and a player is allowed to look at that card in exile, the player must immediately do so. If it's a commander owned by another player, the player that looked at it turns it face up and puts it into the command zone.

It seems like controlling another player's turn to permanent get rid of their commander is the last loophole against the idea that you always have your commander ... why not get rid of the loophole?

You are suggesting format specific errata. Bad idea.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 2:19 pm 

It is no more a format-specific errata than starting at 40 life is or having a minimum and maximum deck size of 100 is.

The rule would apply a restriction on what you can do when you take over someone's turn. The rule wouldn't care about how you took over someone's turn (Mindslaver, Worst Fears, some other future cards), the rule would just say you can't do two things when you take over someone:

1) You can't make them concede.
2) You don't get to choose how the Commander replacement effect is applied.

That said, a rule like that does not look elegant at all.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 3:40 pm 

moraff wrote:
If your opponent takes control of your turn, it should feel like a violation. It's mind control, flavor wise it fits. Mind control is usually depicted that way.

So why cant they concede for you?
MrCool wrote:
No we are suggesting format specific rules. Those already exist.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 6:05 pm 

MRHblue wrote:
MrCool wrote:

It's functionally the same, and bad for the same reasons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-16 10:53 pm 

As worried as some people are about losing their commanders this way, it seems the card is appropriately named.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 12:55 am 

MrCool wrote:
While I don't think this rule is needed, rules and errata are not the same. Format specific errata change the text of cards. (e.g., if you change "30 life" or "40 life" cards to "starting life total +10/20.") Format rules modify a class of actions without regard to card text. (e.g., Until recently, your City of Brass did a different thing in EDH than in normal games of Magic.)

This is not splitting hairs. This is a real difference.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 1:04 am 

MrCool wrote:
MRHblue wrote:
MrCool wrote:

Well no, they are not the same, at least not in the way people usually use the phrase "format specific errata". Generally, that phrase is applied to specific cards, like having a rule that states Haakon, Stromgald Scourge can start play in your graveyard instead of the Command Zone or that he can be played from the Command Zone instead of just from the graveyard, that would be an example of a rule that is applied to a specific card to "fix" something about that card.

A rule that prevents opponents from making the commander replacement effect choice is not about Mindslaver or Worst Fears specifically, it is about what can and cannot happen when someone controls your turn.

Again, such a rule is not especially elegant.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-17 4:15 am 

MrCool wrote:
It's not the same, and rules like it already exist that are extremely useful. You aren't really backing any of this up.

Color identity is a format specific rule. Is it bad?

Use of the Planar Die is format specific. Is it bad?

Offline Profile