Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-17 8:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Leovold, Emissary of Trest: a new general worth banning?
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-06 3:19 pm 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
... and I'll still kill you first, because no one messes with my cardboard crack engines.

:twisted: :D

I fully expect people to want to kill me or kill Leo whenever he is in play. Restricting peoples draws is a powerful effect, and anyone who has phyrexian arena in play is going to be pissed off. I also expect to be seen as the savior when someone is trying to go off with nekusaar or psychosis crawler and Leo is saving everyone from taking lethal, or the gitrog monster deck goes to discard and starts pitching lands. Honestly have you ever played on MTGO when Gitrog is discarding lands in the cleanup phase? It's incredibly painful to sit through.

@RaiRai:
You're in the wrong forum. The rules committee here have no bearing on the duel commander (also called French) banned list.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-06 10:20 pm 

specter404 wrote:
GoodbyeWorld wrote:
... and I'll still kill you first, because no one messes with my cardboard crack engines.

:twisted: :D

I fully expect people to want to kill me or kill Leo whenever he is in play. Restricting peoples draws is a powerful effect, and anyone who has phyrexian arena in play is going to be pissed off. I also expect to be seen as the savior when someone is trying to go off with nekusaar or psychosis crawler and Leo is saving everyone from taking lethal, or the gitrog monster deck goes to discard and starts pitching lands. Honestly have you ever played on MTGO when Gitrog is discarding lands in the cleanup phase? It's incredibly painful to sit through.

@RaiRai:
You're in the wrong forum. The rules committee here have no bearing on the duel commander (also called French) banned list.

Hang on, the way you've written that comment about the 'Rog... I've been assuming you discard down to seven all at once, drawing a single card. Does each land discarded trigger the 'Rogs ability?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-06 11:35 pm 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Hang on, the way you've written that comment about the 'Rog... I've been assuming you discard down to seven all at once, drawing a single card. Does each land discarded trigger the 'Rogs ability?

You discard down to 7 all at once, drawing a new card. Because a trigger happened, you have to do cleanup again, discarding back down to 7. If you discard a land then, you will draw again and repeat. As long as you don't end up with 8 spells in hand, you can keep pitching a land to draw over and over.

On MTGO it is even worse, because F6 doesn't autopass priority in the cleanup step (last I knew).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-06 11:58 pm 

JJackson wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:

You discard down to 7 all at once, drawing a new card. Because a trigger happened, you have to do cleanup again, discarding back down to 7. If you discard a land then, you will draw again and repeat. As long as you don't end up with 8 spells in hand, you can keep pitching a land to draw over and over.

On MTGO it is even worse, because F6 doesn't autopass priority in the cleanup step (last I knew).

I didn't realize abilities resolving restarted the Cleanup Step. I've been sitting on eight at EOT. Good to know.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-07 12:19 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
I didn't realize abilities resolving restarted the Cleanup Step. I've been sitting on eight at EOT. Good to know.

And just so you don't go trying to float mana through to the new one, it is a new Cleanup Step not just a rechecking.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-07 12:55 am 

JJackson wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:

And just so you don't go trying to float mana through to the new one, it is a new Cleanup Step not just a rechecking.

:D

I don't think I've any reason to try that.

I actually had someone question the fact that I was drawing off the discard, but somehow I got as far as "abilities work" but not as far as "and do another cleanup step". I see that that's the only way it can work without "until EOT" effects triggered in the cleanup step bleeding over, but I hadn't generalized that train of thought to triggered abilities without continuous effects.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-07 5:21 am 

Hi

Leovold is not hard to deal with I've had more problems with Merieke Ri Berit Commander decks. Give Merieke a few untaps a turn and the board is wiped, but lets not forget that both of these leaders can be killed very easily considering there low toughness. Time will be the true judge of Leovold though and what some amazing MTG player will create with the usage of that card.

cheers

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-07 1:32 pm 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

Yup, each land that gets pitched causes a trigger, and then in the next clean up step you draw for them, then discard back down, rinse and repeat. Are you starting to get a tiny little affinity for Leovold right now?

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8