[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Random Chatter about Books (and stuff)

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 4:15 pm

Post subject: Random Chatter about Books (and stuff)
AgePosted: 2016-Nov-16 6:37 pm 

HK

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Random Chatter about Books (and stuff)
AgePosted: 2016-Nov-17 4:59 am 

Couldn't get into Codex Alera, but Cinder Spires is turning out interesting.

I'll list some of my current favorites

Anything Neal Stephenson. I like smart, well researched writing and Stephenson is definitely that:

Snow Crash and Diamond Age for some excellent cyberpunk
Baroque Cycle is a huge wandering beast of a tale. Historical non-fiction.
Cryptonomicon for a three intertwining timeline read. Talked crypto-currency before it was cool.
Reamde for some modern thriller action
Anathem for alternate universe shenanigans
Seveneves for a two part story about the moon blowing up.

Some other good stuff:

Dan Simmons - Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos 1) is a sweeping 4 book scifi masterpiece. Far future, high technology.

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller chronicle book 1) Well written, long winded, mild fantasy series. Follows Kvothe through his almost Forrest Gump-like story of his past.

Scott Lynch - Lies of Locke Lemora (the Gentlemen Bastards book 1) A super fun series! Few people write dialogue like Lynch. The man is a master swearer. Follows Locke and Jean who are part of a group of master thieves.

Joe Abercrombie - The Blade Itself (First Law book 1) Light fantasy D&D style group adventure. Amazingly intricate and different characters.

-> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-17 5:42 am 

I'm not much of a bookworm these days (and never really got into the scifi/fantasy literature), but I'm always willing to urge people to read any of Kurt Vonnegut's satire. Slaughterhouse-Five is my favorite.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-21 11:50 pm 

In case it wasn't obvious I'm a big fan of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 2:22 am 

Half of these I was going to add to the bottom of the list until I saw them turn up, the others I've added to my kindle (Thank you!)

Something not in the Sci-Fi section is Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga. It's pretty wordy but very readable. If sweeping space drama is your kick, I highly recommend it.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 3:02 am 

I've been trying to work on some writing recently and so I've been reading a lot. Here's some stuff I would recommend:

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
A cat goes missing, which sets off a chain of events that slowly dissolves the reality of one man's life. Murakami manages to capture what a fever dream feels like in prose.

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
A young girl hears voices in her head she calls "the radio people"

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Satan shows up in Soviet Russia. Because aetheism is mandated by the state, no one believes who he is.

The King in the Tree by Stephen Millhauser
A collection of short stories about loss and longing told by an absolute master.

If On a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
A series of vaguely connected narratives framed as a series of printing errors.

The City and The City by China Mieville
A murder occurs in a divided city in which it is illegal for citizens of one half of the city to see citizens of the other.

Full disclosure: I'm trying to write a book and I post a new short story on a blog every two weeks. I would appreciate any kind of feedback. Shoot me a pm if you'd like a link.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 3:14 am 

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 3:23 am 

I haven't had time to read much lately, but I have been using audible.com to get audio books to listen to on my drive back and forth to work.

Lately I've enjoyed:
Ex-Heroes (previously mentioned by Treamayne) and The Fold - both by Peter Clines. I listend to The Fold first, and my opinion of the book went something like this:
Chapter 1: Meh, don't care for these characters.
Chapter 2: Ok, better characters, hope we focus on these more
Chapter 3: Yup, still using the good characters -- oh, a bit of a mystery
Chapter 4: Ok, I really wanna know what's up with that mystery now.

And for the record, the characters in Chapter 1 were mentioned, but never actually went back to again.

The Iron Druid Series by Kevin Hearne
This is about a Druid from the Iron(?) age, who has managed to live until our current age. When people ask him how old he is, and he says "21", it's not his fault they assume years and not centuries. He deals with some supernatural things (the Fae), and has a Werewolf and Vampire for lawyers; He talks to the Werewolf during the day, the Vampire during the night.

Also -- a bit of a tangent, but if we're talking about books -- has anyone else played "Bring Your Own Book"? I thoroughly enjoy it. It's like Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity -- except instead of having a hand of answers, you have a book to look through for anything that will fit the subject/prompt.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 4:01 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 4:36 am 

Lol...I'm surprised the Dark Tower hasn't come up yet :)

Quicksilver and the Baroque cycle was very difficult to get into but damn, once it gets going it's quite the ride. Especially if have any interest in history.

Douglas Adams is my sense of humor.

Woo! Atticus representin' the druids! I named my dog Flidais.

-> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 4:41 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 7:46 am 

I've been trying to think about a 'short' list of books I'd recommend, but I don't think it'd end up being at all short. So I'll just share that one of the books I'm currently reading (when I make time for it) is "She," by H. Rider Haggard. If you like adventure into lost civilizations, based somewhat on reality of the mid-late 1800s, then this book is just about absolutely essential to read.

EDIT: to elaborate a little further, "She" goes to bat with other best selling books of all time (excluding religious texts). It's worth at least giving a moment to see if it's up your alley.

Last edited by Segrus on 2016-Nov-22 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 1:33 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 8:01 pm 

Lots of good suggestions here, have to add this thread to my favorites :)

I loved Robert Jordan (and especially Brandon Sanderson)'s Wheel of Time series. Classic epic high fantasy, extended world building, and tons of inspiration to build decks :D We house ruled to be legendary, so I could build a Perrin Aybara, Wolfsbrother deck.

Currently reading Book of Malazan series, so far it's been a great read. Very detailed world building, great character depth, well thought out magic systems... god I hope this isn't getting derailed later in the series. I'll need to get one of the Sorin Markovs to get houseruled as a commander, and get into a Anomander Rake deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-22 8:04 pm 

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile