Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-15 8:53 pm

Post subject: So...Aetherflux Reservoir
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-08 4:20 am 

Didn't see this being actively discussed anywhere...

Aetherflux Reservoir

Just curious how everyone's experience with it has been? Has it seemed busted in EDH (four mana killshot that also gains life and is colorless)? Has there been a lot of abuse? Or does it just pop up here and there? Is it a banlist candidate? Etc

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: So...Aetherflux Reservoir
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-08 7:19 am 

I cant see any criteria it will meet to be banned.

It does not win the game, grief anyone, or win by accident.You see it coming from a mile away, and only kills one person at the cost of 50 lfe.

I doubt I will ever see it in a game, let alone think it should be banned.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-08 8:30 am 

I play this in Kambal, and it does fine work. Even in a deck that operates at around 60 life for most of the game, it doesn't do much more than provide me a safety net against combo/other forms of non-lifeloss wincons. If I wanted to run more tutors I could probably kill more people with it, but as a one shot effect it's not super-awesome.

In general, I find most people don't run the glut of cheap spells required to get enough lifegain out of the first ability to make effective use of the second. This restricts its use to dedicated lifegain lists, in which it's no worse than Felidar Sovereign.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Ephara, God of the Polis (Azorius Men O'War)
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-08 8:42 am 

not particularly overpowered, just one more lame boring card for lame boring people who like lame boring win cons.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-09 6:09 am 

Thank you all for input :D

In other news, those standard bans today

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-09 6:19 am 

Well, I saw it win a game this weekend because no one could muster any sort of artifact removal before its owner got to well over 100 life. I literally had 6 cards in hand that could kill it but all needed 2 white mana and I didn't find a second white source until the last turn of the game... so that sucked, but I doubt it's indicative of the power level of the card. The only way I can see it being an issue is in a Sydri deck, because she could animate it and then machinegun the table with it (assuming she had over 50 life to start with).

So yeah, not banworthy. Not really even worth discussing much.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-09 7:14 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Well, I saw it win a game this weekend because no one could muster any sort of artifact removal before its owner got to well over 100 life. I literally had 6 cards in hand that could kill it but all needed 2 white mana and I didn't find a second white source until the last turn of the game... so that sucked, but I doubt it's indicative of the power level of the card. The only way I can see it being an issue is in a Sydri deck, because she could animate it and then machinegun the table with it (assuming she had over 50 life to start with).

So yeah, not banworthy. Not really even worth discussing much.

I had a wonderful game where I cast it, gained some life, put out Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, activated Aetherflux Reservoir, targeted some poor hapless creature an opponent controlled, hit it with Arcbond, then gave myself protection from that creature with Consulate Surveillance. But that was a perfect scenario.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-09 10:08 pm 

I haven't seen it in any deck yet. I don't think I will see it somewhere, it's not the kind of card every one gets excited about around here. I wouldn't play it myself because it's a bit of a lame way to win, I can see it being played in a more cutthroat environment where it's execute order 66 or die, but if you play it in our group, you'll never ever make it even close to 50 lives.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-10 4:39 am 

Sydri, Galvanic Genius and Trostani, Selesnya's Voice come to mind as generals that can abuse this card, but in the world of effects that can set your life total at 10, I hardly see it as cheating or being too strong.

I lost a game the other night where someone set me to 10 with Magister. To me, that feels worse than taking 50 damage from a card. If I know someone is running Reservoir in their deck, I just make sure they never get to that life total if I can help it. Convince the other players (who shouldn't need much convincing) that it needs to die, or the player does.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-10 4:41 am 

I have it in my Ayli clerics/rebels deck and have yet to land it. Granted the deck is a lifegain deck, so it's built to take advantage of it, but I don't run testicles of endurance or wincat, so it's my only "win-out-of-nowhere" card. Basically what I'm saying is leave the poor card alone. I'm not going to win by turning creatures sideways in Ayli, so let me have my Death Star.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-10 7:44 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
I have it in my Ayli clerics/rebels deck and have yet to land it. Granted the deck is a lifegain deck, so it's built to take advantage of it, but I don't run testicles of endurance or wincat, so it's my only "win-out-of-nowhere" card. Basically what I'm saying is leave the poor card alone. I'm not going to win by turning creatures sideways in Ayli, so let me have my Death Star.

you totally could, but then you'd probably be recurring big fat etb creatures, it would cease to be lifegain.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-10 8:17 am 

Gath Immortal wrote:
you totally could, but then you'd probably be recurring big fat etb creatures, it would cease to be lifegain.

The only big fat rebel/cleric I'm aware of is Jhovall Queen, and she's not even that fat. Frankly, I don't particularly care for you fat-shaming an independent cat-woman trying to make it in the cutthroat struggle for success and survival that is Mercadia.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-10 3:38 pm 

Gath Immortal wrote:
not particularly overpowered, just one more lame boring card for lame boring people who like lame boring win cons.

What is even interesting to you then?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-10 4:17 pm 

kirkusjones wrote:
The only big fat rebel/cleric I'm aware of is Jhovall Queen, and she's not even that fat

Doubtless One could fit the bill, if he's got lots of buddies.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-10 9:20 pm 

kirkusjones wrote:
Gath Immortal wrote:

The only big fat rebel/cleric I'm aware of is Jhovall Queen, and she's not even that fat. Frankly, I don't particularly care for you fat-shaming an independent cat-woman trying to make it in the cutthroat struggle for success and survival that is Mercadia.

Conspiracy if you really want to fetch your deck out :D

Offline Profile