Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-15 7:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Chatter about Books (and stuff)
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-04 8:39 pm 

scatteredsun wrote:
Scott Lynch - Lies of Locke Lemora (the Gentlemen Bastards book 1) A super fun series! Few people write dialogue like Lynch. The man is a master swearer. Follows Locke and Jean who are part of a group of master thieves.

Thank you for this recommendation. I've just finished book 1 and really enjoyed it. Good dialogue, as you said, but also good layout, storyline, plot twists. There were moments there when I wondered if Lynch was going to totally echew the traditional "And they all lived happily ever after and the hero won, hail the hero!" BS and leave him bleed out in some gutter somewhere, but he took a great line and the ending was fitting. The only small irritation I had was the interludes, that got shorter and more frequent in the last third of the book. It almost felt like a free "out" for him to fill in back-story without having to take any pains to work it into the dialogue or scene-setting of a particuliar chapter. When they were longer and more interspersed, it was fine as character development and world-building. Towards the end it occasionally felt like "Shit, how do I impress on my readers how important/interesting/badass such-and-such a person/thing is?" Small gripe for a good book. I shall be reading numbers 2 & 3 presently.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-09 10:30 am 

Good deal, always glad to spread that series! The next book I almost like more than Lies. Its been a spell but I believe the interludes are lessened in the rest of the series.

I really liked the interludes and how Lynch ties them into the story. Some were quite humorous.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-10 2:31 am 
EDH Rules Committee

A friend recommended and loaned me the first three books of Chronicles of the Black Company. About 60 pages in, and it's a little disjointed. I'm sticking with it for now on his and a few other recommendations.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-10 3:25 am 

Sheldon wrote:
A friend recommended and loaned me the first three books of Chronicles of the Black Company. About 60 pages in, and it's a little disjointed. I'm sticking with it for now on his and a few other recommendations.

Seems to have enough good reviews. I added it to my list for when I get a fantasy itch.

For now, not books but falls into (and stuff) and damned entertaining, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts
http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Dan does a phenomenal amount of research on various periods of history (my favorite so far is Wrath of the Khans, history of the Mongols) and then weaves the data into a vast tapestry. He is able to present this large amount of data in a way that is entertaining and engrossing.

I highly recommend the series if you are at all interested in history or learning.

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-11 6:38 am 

Currently reading Name of the Wind and Shroud Codes in the Bible. The former is great, the second interesting because the guy connects dots in Scripture like I do, though with a completely different angle and methodology. Been trying to assemble a team of sorts, but don't know if he's interested.

Favorite book has to be Turn Around and Run Like Hell by Joesph Cummings. It's a history book, but Cummings is a great storyteller.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-04 11:13 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Urban Fantasy
Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Book 1: Storm Front - Series follows Harry Dresden, professional Wizard (he's in the yellow Pages) as he protects Chicago from the things humanity prefers to pretend does not exist. Excellent series, one of my all time favorites.

I've really gotten into this series now, thanks for the tip. I like how each book gives you a whodunnit, a cliffhanger or two and the extra layer of complex background for the meta-story without it being exactly the same each time, just enough added complexity, but still remains a very easy read overall.

Edit: Has anyone mentionned the Mongoliad seties of books by Greg Bear, Mark Teppo, Neal Stephenson & Nicole Galland, yet? Quite enjoyed those too.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-05 12:40 am 

The first books of the Mongoliad are quite good, but I didn't like the last one. Stephenson is a master though, I've read almost all his books.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-05 12:52 am 

Gotta bring up Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos again.

Quote:
On the world called Hyperion, beyond the law of the Hegemony of Man, there waits the creature called the Shrike. There are those who worship it. There are those who fear it. And there are those who have vowed to destroy it. In the Valley of the Time Tombs, where huge, brooding structures move backward through time, the Shrike waits for them all. On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope—and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

A stunning tour de force filled with transcendent awe and wonder, Hyperion is a masterwork of science fiction that resonates with excitement and invention, the first volume in a remarkable new science fiction epic by the multiple-award-winning author of The Hollow Man

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-05 11:57 am 

Been working on Brent Weeks lately. Finished the Night Angel trilogy (Way of Shadows is book 1 - Wetboys Rock!) and now on the Lightbringer series (Black Prism is book 1).

sea bee blue wrote:
Currently reading Name of the Wind ...

Rothfuss? Kingkiller book 1? Slow Regard of Silent Things was one of the most original, best short stories I've read in a long time. It's weird (be warned, a friend hated it because he didn't know what to expect), as it is from Auri's POV; but awesome.

Shabbaman wrote:
The first books of the Mongoliad are quite good, but I didn't like the last one. Stephenson is a master though, I've read almost all his books.

Sounds interesting, is it like "Tales of the Otori" (Lian Hearn) where it's fantasy, but set in a historic-type setting (e.g. Tales is similar to medieval Japan around first contact with Westerners and Christianity - all without ever using the words Japan, Shogonate, Christian or Westerner)? Or is it more like Killer Angels, actual history but novelized?

zimagic wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
Urban Fantasy
Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Book 1: Storm Front - Series follows Harry Dresden, professional Wizard (he's in the yellow Pages) as he protects Chicago from the things humanity prefers to pretend does not exist. Excellent series, one of my all time favorites.

I've really gotten into this series now, thanks for the tip. I like how each book gives you a whodunnit, a cliffhanger or two and the extra layer of complex background for the meta-story without it being exactly the same each time, just enough added complexity, but still remains a very easy read overall.

Edit: Has anyone mentionned the Mongoliad seties of books by Greg Bear, Mark Teppo, Neal Stephenson & Nicole Galland, yet? Quite enjoyed those too.

I've been denying the impulse to reread all of these until I have a planned release date for the next book (Peace Talks). However, some co-workers also recently got into Dresden, so I created a bibliography (of sorts) organizing all of the novels, short stories and graphic novels. The original is color coded and what not, but here's the text if you can use it:

Novels are numbered. Short Stories codes: SJ - Collected in “Side Jobs”, BC - May be published in “Brief Cases” (Release TBD), WB – Published in charity release “Working for Bigfoot”, GN - Graphic Novel

No. Title Year/Original printing
SJ “Restoration of Faith” – free at: http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/side-jobs/restoration
GN Welcome to the Jungle 2008
1 Storm Front 2000
2 Fool Moon 2001
WB “B is for Bigfoot” 2012 - Under My Hat: Tales From the Cauldron
GN “Ghoul, Goblin” 2013
3 Grave Peril 2001
4 Summer Knight 2002
5 Death Masks 2003
SJ “Vignette” – free at: http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/side-jobs/restoration
6 Blood Rites 2004
7 Dead Beat 2005
WB “I Was A Teenage Bigfoot” 2012 - Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste
SJ “Something Borrowed” 2006 - My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
GN “War Cry” 2014
8 Proven Guilty 2006
9 White Night 2007
GN "Down Town" 2015
SJ “It’s My Birthday Too” 2007 - Many Bloody Returns
SJ “Heorot” 2007 - My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
GN "Wild Card" TBD
10 Small Favor 2008
SJ “Day Off” 2008 - Blood Lite
BC “Curses” 2011 - The Naked City
SJ Backup (Thomas POV) 2008 – HC, SE
BC "AAAA Wizardry" 2009 - Dresden Files RPG
SJ "The Warrior" 2009 - Mean Streets
SJ “Last Call” 2009 - Strange Brew
11 Turn Coat 2009
SJ “Love Hurts” 2010 - Songs of Love and Death
BC “Even Hand”(Marcone POV) 2010 - Dark and Stormy Knights
WB “Bigfoot on Campus” 2012 - Hex Appeal
12 Changes 2010
SJ "Aftermath" (Murphy POV) 2010 - Side Jobs
13 Ghost Story 2011
BC “Bombshells” (Molly POV) 2013 - Dangerous Women (HC)/Vol 3 (Softcover)
14 Cold Days 2012
BC “Cold Case” (Molly POV) 2016 –Shadowed Souls
15 Skin Game 2014
BC “Jury Duty” 2015 – Unbound- HC, SE
BC “Day One” (Butters POV) 2016 – Unfettered II- HC, SE

--- Pending Release ---
16 Peace Talks TBD
GN “UNTITLED” Inari GN TBD

PS: If you haven't gotten there yet, let me know when you finish "Changes"...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-05 11:17 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
PS: If you haven't gotten there yet, let me know when you finish "Changes"...

I'm only half-way through Proven Guilty but I'll let you know when I get to changes.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-09 4:36 am 

Segrus wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:
Anyone into post-apocalyptic / survival type books?

Have you read any of Hugh Howey's Silo series? I tried out "Wool" a while back, which is the first book, and I thought it was fairly interesting.

Came back in to post this. Half-way through book 2. Can't put it down. I dislike a total of 1 thing about the book (and am fervently hoping it becomes a plot point), the rest is just gripping.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-09 6:44 am 

I've read Wool as well and haven't bothered trying to find the second one. It was fine but the main protagonist seems a bit omniscient sometimes. Mary Sue doesn't quite fit her since bad stuff definitely happens to her, but she's a little too superhuman for my liking.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-09 8:50 am 

I haven't gotten the second book yet, but I believe I've heard it was fairly good as well. Wool wasn't the best thing I've ever read, but it was worth looking into. I really need to get back into reading...it's been far, far too long...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-09 7:48 pm 

Viperion wrote:
I've read Wool as well and haven't bothered trying to find the second one. It was fine but the main protagonist seems a bit omniscient sometimes. Mary Sue doesn't quite fit her since bad stuff definitely happens to her, but she's a little too superhuman for my liking.

Plot stuff: (Huge spoilers for book 2)

I really didn't get that feeling at all. The first 2 character arcs ended up with all 3 protagonists and Jule's contact in IT dying. All the characters he developped in Mechanical ended up dying.
Jules has been in 3 separate life/death situations (cleaning, diving & returning) and she's just about stayed alive so, sure, she's not doing too bad but she is one of the main protagonists. Authors generally tend not to kill of their main character of a trilogy at the end of the first book. If everybody is dying but her, you could argue that she's superhuman, but you'd have to make the same arguament for Solo over in Silo 17 too.

Thaw Man disappears, Anna too, Howey writes out Helen & Mick. Jules is only superhuman if your criteria is not dying within 5 chapters! ;)

My initial gripe was how Silo 1 residents can walk outside with no protection while cleaners from all the other Silos are pretty much immune. It was a "Wait, what!?" moment that Howey dragged out by freezing Donald right after. I was pretty frustrated waiting for Howey get back to it.

I like Sci-Fi & dystopian fiction if it's well done. I find the Silo series plays the claustrophobic, self-contained-world card very well. The characters are mortally fragile, the story flits between timelines and POVs very well and there's multiple levels of plot (the live action in the silos, the meta action of Silo 1's involvement and the Pact of the creators).

So yeah, I'm enjoying it.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-10 3:09 am 

Dang forgot about those! I'll queue them up next.

Currently going through Steve Konkoly's Persied Collapse series. It's ok. Readable and a goddamn sight better than Glen Tate's far-right wet dream, 299 Days.

Speaking of Stephenson. Read The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. and it was a really fun read! Stephenson and Nicole Galland have a great start to what could be an awesome "Science Fantasy" series. It's got time travel, magic, action, and quantum mechanics all mashed up into an entertaining read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/320 ... of-d-o-d-o

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next