Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 7:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-26 9:09 am 

The rules function to tell you what you can do, not what you cant do. The rules for casting a sorcery for example state that it can be cast when yo have priority and the stack is empty. There is no rule that specifies sorceries cant be cast at other times (as far as I know), the rules tells you when you can do it and excludes all other times.

When reading the rules you should look for what they allow, not what is missing. "No one said I couldn't" is rarely the correct approach.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-05 8:10 am 

I'm working on a new deck, and one of the possible combos is confusing me a little. I've got Knowledge Pool, Cast Through Time, and Eye of the Storm, and it's a Zedruu the Greathearted Deck. If I've got two of the three (or all three) floating around the board, is the Active Player/Non-Active Player priority what decides which exiles something? (And if they're all under one player's control, that player picks which goes on the stack last?)

-Nahiri, the Lithomancer-Monowhite Soldier/Equipment Deck
-Sharuum the Hegemon-Esper Artifact Themed Deck
-Karador, Ghost Chieftain-Kamigawa Spirit Reanimator Tribal Deck
-Zedruu the Greathearted-Predictability is Weakness Themed Deck
-Nissa, Vastwood Seer/Nissa, Sage Animist-Monogreen Land Based Deck

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-05 12:11 pm 

The triggers are put onto the stack APNAP, so if a player controls both the Pool and the Eye, they will decide which to resolve first as they will put the triggers on the stack in whichever order they prefer.

Cast Through Time will not be able to rebound any spells with Eye or Pool on the field, since Rebound ability only works if cast from hand. The CTT owner also cannot rebound spells from their hand as specified, since both of those permanents exile the spell while still on the stack.

With Eye and Pool out at the same time, what happens depends mostly on the order those abilities will resolve. Eye will resolve even if Pool resolves first, since Eye does not require that you exile the spell in order to get copies. Pool does care, because you must exile it to Pool's ability in order to get your copy. With Pool resolving first, you get the Pool copy, which is cast, and then triggers Eye. After the Eye trigger resolves and you cast more spells, the first original Eye trigger will resolve (which, again, does not require the original spell to be exile by Eye in order to resolve the copy ability).
Spells you cast with Eye never trigger the Pool, since they are copies and not cast from hand as specified.
Eye only cares that it was cast, not from where it was cast, so casting off Pool is okay.

edit: and of course, this is following Eye's rule about instants and sorceries. If you Pool away a spell to receive an artifact, the artifact won't trigger Eye. (the original Pool-exiled spell may trigger Eye, assuming what you traded for the artifact was in fact an instant or sorcery).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-07 7:45 am 

In addition, cast through time does even more nothing with eye/pool because rebound alters the way the spell resolves, that is to say the spell is exiled on resolution and can then be cast the following turn.

By the time rebound would come into play the spell has already gone elsewhere and does nothing.

Playing Online:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-11 8:54 am 

Ok...Panharmonicon and Custodi Lich (or any other 'you become the monarch' card)...

I know the 'you become the monarch' trigger doesn't trigger if you're already the monarch.

I know the Panharmonicon will double the 'you become the monarch' trigger, (if it triggers, of course).

Will each iteration of it trigger the Custodi Lich's sacrifice trigger? In layman's terms, "can the monarch become the monarch"?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-11 9:49 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Ok...Panharmonicon and Custodi Lich (or any other 'you become the monarch' card)...

I know the 'you become the monarch' trigger doesn't trigger if you're already the monarch.

I know the Panharmonicon will double the 'you become the monarch' trigger, (if it triggers, of course).

Will each iteration of it trigger the Custodi Lich's sacrifice trigger? In layman's terms, "can the monarch become the monarch"?

No. From the Custodi Lich gatherer page:
Quote:
Abilities that trigger whenever you “become the monarch” trigger only if you aren’t already the monarch. For example, if you are already the monarch as Custodi Lich enters the battlefield, its last ability won’t trigger.

So it'll trigger twice, due to Panharmonicon. The second trigger will resolve, you'll become the monarch and Custodi Lich's sacrifice ability will trigger. Target player sacrifices a creature, than the first "become the monarch" trigger resolves, and but does not trigger the sacrifice clause since you're already the monarch.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-11 10:41 am 

So there's no difference between "doesn't trigger" and "trigger does nothing?"

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-11 11:34 am 

yeah there is; in one case it goes on the stack but does nothing on resolution; in the other case it doesn't go on the stack at all. Difference is in the wording:

"When Custodi Lich enters the battlefield" - triggers, and then a second copy of that trigger is put onto the stack by Panharmonicon. If the Lich is then returned to your hand and recast, or goes to exile and back, it will trigger again.

"When you become the monarch" only triggers, well, when you become the monarch. If you're already the monarch, that trigger will not even be put on the stack.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-13 4:51 am 

Dumb question:
What's an EDH Tribal deck and what is not and what Percentage of creatures have to share a tribe?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-16 10:15 am 

Where you unhappy with the answers you got in your thread on this topic?

Playing Online:

Last edited by specter404 on 2017-May-18 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-17 1:11 am 

specter404 wrote:

Quickly checking the timestamps -- I don't think anyone had replied to the thread yet when he posted here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-18 8:51 am 

Carthain wrote:
specter404 wrote:

Quickly checking the timestamps -- I don't think anyone had replied to the thread yet when he posted here.

Well I guess I achieved the goal of the thread, asking a dumb question.

Playing Online:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-25 1:55 am 

Isn't there supposed to be a commander rules update to accompany the new release even if it only tells us that there are no changes to the banned list or the commander-specific rules?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-25 2:02 am 

I believe it's only with the releases of main/Expert sets -- or in other words, in time with the regular Magic Ban Announcements.

The release of supplemental product doesn't prompt an update.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-25 7:51 am 
EDH Rules Committee

MMLgamer wrote:
Isn't there supposed to be a commander rules update to accompany the new release even if it only tells us that there are no changes to the banned list or the commander-specific rules?

No, we announced a bit ago that we'd only be doing quarterly updates, which we think is enough for us, being an Eternal format.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next